Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convince me to use hardwareversand

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niemad

I bought parts for my new rig last week. I checked loads of places and amazon.co.uk was by far the cheapest option. The delivery was here on time, ordered on a Friday had it Wednesday and that was with free delivery :) My advice is to check around before you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Use Hardwareversand or I'll find you and beat you. Good enough? :P

Regardless, I'd swap the Gigabyte board for an ASRock or MSI one. Gigabyte boards have problems with booting (and occasionally exploding) at the moment.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Pros:
    -Better customer support
    -More reliable
    -Easier to deal with if something goes wrong
    -Cheaper

Cons:
    -Bank transfer is awkward for some people, especially if you don't have online banking
    -If its your first order with them, the bank transfer can take a couple of days to go through.
    -€30 shipping is hefty for smaller orders

PCI Wireless card:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42568&agid=271

(I'd also agree with Serephucus and drop the Gigabyte mobo)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Serephucus wrote: »
    Gigabyte boards have problems with booting (and occasionally exploding) at the moment.

WHAT??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm off to have a look into this. Is this like the exploding duron video from years ago?

Monotype wrote: »
    WHAT??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm off to have a look into this. Is this like the exploding duron video from years ago?

Its the VRMs in some LGA 2011 boards:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/news/30283/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Link isn't working or it's very slow.

Is this the one you're talking about? Apparently poor airflow around the board was the main thing to blame according to these guys.
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/285861,the-curious-case-of-the-exploding-motherboard.aspx

Gigabyte wouldn't be my first choice - I've never owned one of their boards and while it wouldn't inspire confidence in their longevity, I wouldn't completely write them off over this. I know in the past that some manufacturers will use anything they can to dig at another. Overall that motherboard has got good reviews and often surpasses the competition in features against price. Hardwareversand have got a good selection though, so there's plenty of alternatives.

Monotype wrote: »
    Link isn't working or it's very slow.

Is this the one you're talking about? Apparently poor airflow around the board was the main thing to blame according to these guys.
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/285861,the-curious-case-of-the-exploding-motherboard.aspx

Gigabyte wouldn't be my first choice - I've never owned one of their boards and while it wouldn't inspire confidence in their longevity, I wouldn't completely write them off over this. I know in the past that some manufacturers will use anything they can to dig at another. Overall that motherboard has got good reviews and often surpasses the competition in features against price. Hardwareversand have got a good selection though, so there's plenty of alternatives.

Its funny, I would have considered Gigabyte and ASUS the best quality up until Sandy Bridge. Now ASRock and MSI seem to have passed them out from nowhere. While Gigabyte and ASUS still make decent boards, they have both had various problems with a lot of their Sandy Bridge offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I've got an X58 board from Gigabyte that's doing very well. It survived months of the northbridge sitting at 80°C, and it's only now starting to take its toll.

And yeah, it was the X79 boards I was referring to, should have made that more clear.

Advertisement