Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday with cat - advice?

• 07-02-2012 12:57am

Hey guys, looking for some advice on this issue. To start with, my grandmother regularly brought her cat to my parents' house when they were going away, the cat was really nasty so unknown to my gran my mother would boot it outside for the two weeks, and bring it back in when my gran came home - the cat took to it like a duck to water, never bothered her. My mother has asked myself and OH to mind their house for a few days and we are wondering if it would be wise to bring our cat with us?

OH suggested bringing his kennel and allowing him to stay in the garage (with access to outside). Does anyone have any advice and experience with this? Our cat is approx 2 years old, a rescue, lived with us for the last 9 months but never goes away for more than 6 or 7 hours a go. It would be easier for us to bring him, since he's quite people-shy and doesn't much like the neighbour coming to feed him. Just worried about him taking off in his new surroundings and never being seen again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

If you bring him and let him outside there's a very good chance you'll lose him. When someone is moving house they are usually advised to keep the cat inside for a minimum of 2 weeks. Better to use a cattery, or keep him inside with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I wouldn't chance letting him outside in a new area tbh, it's not worth the risk, while some cats will always come back there will always be those who won't. If you were to keep him inside I wouldn't see a problem, I moved my cat up to live with me for 2 weeks and apart from the car journey causing so much stress it induced another bout of cystitis she took to the new apartment like a duck to water, but of course I wouldn't have even chanced letting her outside.

Thanks, keeping him inside is feasible, a preferable one to a cattery really, since the vet requires sedation, can't imagine he'd take to a cattery very well, he's still a very shy cat but he likes us.

Advertisement