Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bi Lingual ? kids ... Parents living abroad.

• 07-02-2012 1:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi, accidentally posted the below to PI, got some good replies there ...

Hi,
    I'm Irish and live in Barcelona and myself and my gf have a son (2 months) .
    She is Spanish and speaks Catalan to him - I speak English to him.

I know it's early days but I am a little concerned, my friend here has a 3.5 year old boy and is in the same situation.

But his son won't speak English despite him always speaking english to him,
    They say the kid is embarrased ??? but this wouldn't account for the kid not speaking to his dad when alone ?

Since we live here in Spain we are planning to have more english material in the home - as well as TV (all films will be in VO).

So really I'm asking for people on boards who are in the same situation ,
    if you have a kid in a foreign country , how is his/her English ?

or to non English speakers in Ireland - how is your kids "other native tongue" biggrin.gif

Particularly im interested in couples who speak different languages natively

Thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I don't have any advice, but I am very interested in seeing what people say, as we'll be in a similar situation (hubby is native French, I barely speak it and we'd love for our almost baby to be bi-lingual)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Duplicate thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement