Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ri Ra Irish Pub Job in America PCT Visa

Options
  • 07-02-2012 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All!

I have a job interview for Ri Ra Irish Pubs in America. I have no degree so I see this as my only way of working in the states. Has anyone had any experience working for them? If so would you recommend it? Also can you please advise me on what the wages are like?

With regards to the Professional Career Training Visa, it says you have to leave the US for 2 years before applying for another visa, does this include holidays to America?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The two year home rule doesn't apply to everyone. Most people have this waived. You can check here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 edith may

Thank you for your reply lil lisa. According to my interpretation of the link, I think I would be subject to the 2 year rule but if anyone has experience with this company/visa I would love some advice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Danny911

how did you apply for this and is the interview in america itself? what kind of visa can u get and for how long? thanks

edith may wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply lil lisa. According to my interpretation of the link, I think I would be subject to the 2 year rule but if anyone has experience with this company/visa I would love some advice! :)

I don't think you are. The government's site specify that you are subject to staying out of the country for 2 years (the 2 year home rule) if you are participating in one of the following three:
    • Government funded Exchange Program --This is more than likely not the case for you, are you funding the program yourself? (i.e. paying for the visa, flights etc yourself?)
    • Specialized Knowledge or Skill -- From the continuing link, there are no restrictions for Ireland. I cannot speak for any other country though, would this affect you?
    • Graduate Medical Education/Training -- I'm pretty sure Irish pub jobs don't fall under this category either.

The only thing I would worry about are the requirements for the visa itself. Most visas to the US require a degree.

Hi Danny911. i applyed for the job on jobs.ie. the company itself was advertising. It is legitimate. I have spoken to a couple of people who have done it. I am still a little unsure of the type of visa it is. The interview is in Ireland. They come to Ireland at least once a year to recruit. My only issue really is I have a full time job and I'm unsure whether to leave it for a year. As far as I can see there is no way of extending the visa for longer than a year.

• Advertisement

Hi lil lisa. Thank you for your research, you've been very helpful. From what I can gather on the USIT website, I will be on a Professional Career Training Visa as one of the requirements on my job application was that I had 5 years experience in the hospitality industry (because I have no degree). The quote below is taken from USITs FAQ.

I already went to the US on a Professional Career Training visa. Can I still apply for the programme again?
    If you have previously participated on the PCT programme before; you can apply for the programme again. However, you must leave the USA for at least 2 years since the completion of your US Internship programme before you can begin your traineeship in the US. It is also important that any training you receive on your new programme does not replicate any previous training you were given. The 2 year rule must be adhered to in order for USIT to accept an application for the programme from you.

The two year rule only seems to apply only if I want to complete the PCT visa again. Thanks again :)

I would also note that that is a requirement from USIT. USIT are independent from the US government and of course are allowed to set their own rules and requirements. However, there are other independent companies who don't necessarily have the same rule. I would keep that in mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Hi Edith did you go to America? Did you get a job with RiRa? I am interested in doing something similar and was hoping you could let me know how you got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 helloaliens

Hi Guys,

I did the interview for this and got it. Supposed to be heading over to Las Vegas in February. Di you guys go there in the end? Can you give me any advice on what it's like, conditions, rates of pay, finding a house there etc??

Thanks x

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You went for interview for a job in another country, and didn't enquire about how much you'd be paid or where you would live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 helloaliens

Hi Proud Dub,

Yes, they told me the rates and where I would live but I would like to check it out with someone else who has done it because the wage is low and you will be mostly living off the tips, as is the done thing in the states. I was wondering how other people found it, was it enough to live on? what if you're sick for a few days and don't get tips?...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

The important thing is to know your rights......legal minimum wage in the US is $7.30 an hour. They only have to pay you $3.25 an hour if you work in a position where you receive tips. But the part that most people don't realize is that over the course of the year, your $3.25 per hour and tips combined have to equal or exceed $7.30 per hour, or your employer has to make up the difference.

The only problem with this is that it causes you to pay tax on your tips, which legally you're supposed to do anyway, but if you're on $3.25 + tips, your income will be low enough that you'll get almost everything back in the spring.

The legal minimum wage differs per state: http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm#.UMeV_oOx9v4

However the tipped employees is standard across the country: http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Interesting lil_lisa.....i never realized that some states actually set wages below the federal minimum....glad i'm in a green state!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

I've a similar question for anyone who could shed some light. I am currently on the 12 month graduate visa over in Chicago. I have a job and my employers want me to stay on. The problem is all the 2012 H1Bs are gone so I would not be able to get one until October 2013 but my current visa ends in February. Instead of waiting for the H1B could i just return to Ireland at the end of February, get the career training visa and return to the US on that?

If you qualify for the career training visa and meet all the requirements (thus are granted the visa) you shouldn't have a problem returning on that visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

Go4less have told me my 1-year work experience doesn't count as it is in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Jillxx1

Hi I know Im late getting in on this chat but I would love to go work in RI RA in vegas but how do I go about to get an interview

A mate of mine is working for them in Vermont at the moment and had hoped to get Vegas or somewhere else but there were no jobs there but she is happy working with them. I think you apply on their website and then they get in touch for interview.

Ya I found their site and applied. I say vegas is the place everyone want to be. Is your mate Irish? And I don't mean to be nosey but does she do well money wise? I really want to work in the states.

• Advertisement

She is Irish American. Lived in Ireland for years but has gone back stateside to work with Ri Ra. I really don't know what the story is on the money front, sorry!

I see. Im just trying to find out all the info I can. Thank you for been helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 9 rockinrobin7

Hi Edith May,
    I am going for the interview for RìRà pubs, I would lov to know how you got on? I am basically in the same situation, I have no degree aswell but 6years of experience in bar work!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi Guys, how did the interviews go for everyone?

I have been given the go ahead from work to take a year off to do this experience but what are the interviews like? Are they just standard interviews or are they tougher than normal?

Is there more people with degrees than without or is it pretty even? I don't have a degree myself but have worked in pubs, restaurants and hotels for the last 7 years so really thinking about going for this before I settle down and I have responsibilities.

Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

I have an interview for this tomorrow. Any advice from anybody who has been before?

Also any advice on what destination to choose, good/bad cities? All opinions welcome.

http://www.rira.com

Advertisement