Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Birthday Charles Dickens

Options
  • 07-02-2012 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

He surely has to be considered one of the greatest authors of all times. Considering that a lot of his novels were published in serial form I think that his achievements in the field of literature are nothing short of amazing. 'Hard Times' was my introduction to Dickens as I studied it for the Leaving Cert many years ago and it is one of the few books that I have read more than once. I hope that other posters can do the great man more justice that I with their tributes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

Dickens is a favourite of mine as well. His wit, his social commentary and observations and his well rounded and enduring characters struck me at an early age.

My favourite work of his would be A Tale Of Two Cities. Keep in mind, I have not read his entire oeuvre yet.

I actually prefer the various movie and Tv versions of A Christmas Carol, than the actual novella. I don't know, it just doesn't flow very well for me.

Hard Times was a challenging read. It's very dry in parts, but it's a brave confrontation against the ultilitarian philosphy of John Stuart Mill and Jeremy Benthem. Dickens always stood up for the little people!

Incidentally, Christopher Hitchens' final article for Vanity Fair before he passed away was about the enduring quality of Charles Dickens. Check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭boynesider

A giant of literature. I can't think of any other writer whose characters have achieved such prominence in the public consciousness. IMO his works should be held in the same regard as Shakespeare's and should be required reading at school.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

My Dickensian word of the day....

Podsnappery!

The characteristic behaviour or attitudes of Dickens's Mr Podsnap; insular complacency and blinkered self-satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Another Dickens fan here, I'm a big fan of 'The Pickwick Papers' :) As with Grevious, I'm a big fan of the TV and movie adaptations of A Christmas Carol, moreso than the book. I think that's because I enjoy seeing the different interpretations and implementations of the story. Either way, definitely an author with an enduring legacy.

Advertisement