Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Text Message

Options
  • 07-02-2012 3:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

So i got this text message this morning

"Your Mobile Number has won £900,000 GBP in the Apple iPhone Survey.Send Cliam Code (5500572) to email: applebb@blumail.org"
    from +35386XXXXXXX

I was just wondering how they got my number:confused:. my phone is 4 years old and i never go on the web with it or sell stuff on the internet. maybe it was just random

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chell81

I just received the same message. It has the exact same claim code so obviously a scam. I have no idea either how they got my number. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Possibly this scam, note that the sending number could be an innocent person whose a/c has been hacked....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056391597

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MiseryCat

I got "Your Mobile Number has won E500,000 Netherland smart iphone some Rubbish like that on my phone , SCAM What load of ****, and same Crap was on my brother phone as well.LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Ya'll reported them to your mobile provider(s) - right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I got the same. Seems to have been some mass text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

akura wrote: »
    So i got this text message this morning

"Your Mobile Number has won £900,000 GBP in the Apple iPhone Survey.Send Cliam Code (5500572) to email: applebb@blumail.org"
    from +353XXXXXXXX

I was just wondering how they got my number:confused:. my phone is 4 years old and i never go on the web with it or sell stuff on the internet. maybe it was just random
    Well, you just did.

Expect many more of these! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Report the attempt to both your operator and BluWorld (who provide the email address). The former will get onto the bulk SMS provider, who'll then shut them down and the latter will cut off their ability to receive replies.

How they got your number is through a number of things. It may be simply randomly generated. More likely is that you signed up to some PSMS service in the past and either your number was sold on or the same company is using the anonymity email responses as a means of avoiding retribution by the regulator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

I agree with you, akura. Might just be a random text. They're sending out spam texts and wait for anybody to answer and then they start putting up a good story. It's good that you did not respond or you could be receiving more of that by now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

janiceross wrote: »
    I agree with you, akura. Might just be a random text. They're sending out spam texts and wait for anybody to answer and then they start putting up a good story. It's good that you did not respond or you could be receiving more of that by now. :)

It's a scam that some people got fooled in to, which allowed the scammers access to webtext accounts. The numbers that are sending them are even unaware it's happening until they start getting floods of texts and calls to their phones. Was on the news on Thursday this week.

Advertisement