Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coupons!

• 07-02-2012 3:30am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16537076
    It used to be the domain of thrifty pensioners and families on the breadline - but now a new generation of bargain-hungry shoppers has discovered money-off vouchers. And some even attend couponing class to learn how to get the best deals.
    "I would go to the store at night because there was a stigma back then. They were like food stamps. People behind you in the line would roll their eyes."
    Kimberly Pepper-Hoctor got the couponing bug from her grandmother, whose thrifty approach to life was forged in the Depression of the 1930s.
    She claims to save about $250 (£158) every six weeks on her regular shopping bill, without loading up on unhealthy processed food or stockpiling items she does not really need.

Do you use coupons, or do you think they're too down market?

Do you use coupons 53 votes

Yes, always
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, sometimes
    18% 10 votes
    No
    56% 30 votes
    Money off!
    24% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

Kimberly Pepper-Hoctor? Kimberly, Mikado and Coconut Creme's by the look of it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/rf/image_606w/2010-2019/WashingtonPost/2011/07/22/Others/Images/2011-07-22/couponing006_1311348240.jpg

No 'unhealthy processed food' for her? I guess she must be one of those genetically big girls I've been reading about lately.

(On topic .... no harm with it, save money where you can.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

I would never use a coupon, the shame and embarrassment would be too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Nope but not because of stigma of being downmarket or any of that idiocy but because Im not organised enough (To my shame I havent even got around to bringing my own shopping bags seeing as how theyre still given out free up here) to be faffing around with bits of paper like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I haven't used coupons but I have a lot of positive regard for thrifty people.

I'm not very good with money but I'm much better than I used to be.

Edit: I have used coupons!

Two 4* pizzas for the price of one on the back of the Tesco receipts.

Does that count?

I sometimes use them, but only if they're for something I was going to buy anyway in the shop I was going to. If I have to drive out of the way to redeem them, then I've lost any saving in extra petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

"I would go to the store at night because there was a stigma back then. They were like food stamps. People behind you in the line would roll their eyes."

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

And some even attend couponing class to learn how to get the best deals.

Yeah, is there a coupon that offers money off for this service.

:rolleyes:

Gombeens having to go to a class to learn how to use a condom, I mean coupon. What ****ing idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's just a weird stigma with coupons.

I mean, if you were in a shop and the shopkeeper said "Here, you know how your shopping is €40?? How about I give it to you for €35??" you'd be happy.

But if the shopkeeper gives you a piece of paper to say you can have your shopping for €35 instead of €40 on the condition you just give him his piece of paper back, you're being a stingey bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I always mean to use them but end up letting them go out of date. Whenever I remember I use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Do you use coupons, or do you think they're too down market?

No i would never coupon, i mean what kind of person would use a piece of paper in exchange for products or services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hasmunch wrote: »
    No i would never coupon, i mean what kind of person would use a piece of paper in exchange for products or services.

Not Bank of America anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Aaah, I hate coupons! Even those One4all vouchers. In work we used to get perfect cards which were pretty prepaid visa cards. They were awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My Mum does this all the time.

She has no shame whatever about plonking a trolley full of groceries down in front of some poor girl in Tesco or Dunnes or somewhere, and then rifling through her handbag - a filing cabinet for coupons - so that every one has to be deduced manually from the price. Cue angry build up of customers behind her as she tells the sales assistant to hold back the Weetabix as she digs for a missing coupon.

When I get to that age, I hope I have that level of not giving a shit. I do still use larger coupons though, especially when I'm not delaying somebody for 40c off a bottle of wine,etc.

I don't see what's wrong with coupons. Some people seem to think it's 'the done thing' to be seen to waste money or something. I really disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Hasmunch wrote: »

Yeah who's going to swap valuable goods and services for intrinsically worthless pieces of paper anyway?

Such a preposterous proposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

hate people who are like this. in my gym as part of membership you can get per cent off meal, anyway me and few of the lads were eating a while ago now and the other lads refused to make use of the discount their gym membership offered. i don't know why but something really annoys me about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

If I have them for somthing I need or want I would use them. Why would I want to pay more for somthing when I dont have to?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lilacclery

I use them when it makes something better value than I can get it for in Aldi, I would still be half embarrassed, like want the transaction to be over and done with as quickly as possible but love getting things cheaper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Best money saving coupons i used were for alton towers, 1 free person for each full paying adult saved us over €200...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I do if I have them. I'm gonna start getting serious use out of them from now on though, some serious money to be saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

this guys was just on the radio

www.bubblegum.ie

gonna be a one stop shop for grocery coupons by the sounds of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

We get Tesco coupons every two months based on the number of Club Card points we collect - there's the usual '50 cent off such and such a brand of toilet paper' etc., which are rarely used, but they also send out 'money off' coupons, the value of which are taken directly off your shopping bill at the tills.

On average, they're about €50 every two months - or €300 a year. Fuck the embarrasment factor - you'd be mad not to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i wouldnt use the 50 cent off ones really in supermarkets as i cant even remember the bloody club card but if its two for one on take away pizza's ect... of course i would, who wouldnt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The people who are using $250 per month or spending lots of time getting coupons for use are probably using them to get discounts on branded goods. You can make much greater savings simply by shopping in Aldi and Lidl (though Lidl has quite a lot of branded goods)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Saved €10 on my weeks shopping today using coupons. I'd be embarassed for anyone paying full price when they can save on a purchase using a coupon!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭lilacclery

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Saved €10 on my weeks shopping today using coupons. I'd be embarassed for anyone paying full price when they can save on a purchase using a coupon!
    Few weeks ago I got four bOttles of comfort for €3.50 retail price €16 Aldi can't beat that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Sure, 70 to 90 quid + VAT off per computer without having to haggle with someone from India?
    Otherwise the particular company wouldn't be getting the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

lilacclery wrote: »
    Few weeks ago I got four bOttles of comfort for €3.50 retail price €16 Aldi can't beat that!!

The Aldi branded fabric softner (Which could be made by the same people who make 'Comfort' for all I know) costs sweet **** all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I would never use a coupon, the shame and embarrassment would be too much.

do you light your cigarettes with €50 notes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lillybruce

I like this coupons....

Advertisement