Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRAI 2012 Nationals / Open Shoot.

• 07-02-2012 3:23am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭

N.R.A.I. 2012 Nationals

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=11379
    The N.R.A.I. are pleased to announce the dates, and format for this years Nationals to be held at the M.N.S.C.I.

WindMill Range.

Saturday 5/5/2012
    Start | Description | Distance | Duration |
    14:00 | Historic Rifle & Hunting Rifle | 100 yards | 1:00 hrs |
    15:30 | Target Rifle | 500 & 600 yards | 1:15 hrs |
    17:00 | Range Closed | | |

Creedmoor Range

Saturday 5/5/2012
    10:00 | F-Class (Long Range) | 800, 900, 1,000 yards | 3:30 hrs |
    10:00 | TR (Long Range) | 800, 900, 1,000 | 3:30 hrs |

Sunday 6/5/2012
    10:00 | F-Class (Teams Match) | 900, 1,000 yards | 3:50 hrs |
    13:50 | Lunch | | |
    14:30 | Match Rifle | 1,000 yards | 1:00 hrs |
    14:30 | Benchrest | 1,000 yards | 1:00 hrs |
    16:00 | Presentations | | |

========================================================================

Applications forms may be downloaded from the NRAI website.

=========================================================================

National Rifle Association, MNSCI Grounds, Derrymore, Blueball Tullamore Co. Offaly

• Historic rifle will consist of 3 sighters and 20 shots to count at 100 meters (open to all pre1945 rifles) (open)
    • Hunting rifle will consist of 3 sighters and 20 shots to count at 100 meters, (open to all hunting calibres smallbore and centrefire) (open)

• Target Rifle, will consist of 2 sighters and 15 rounds to count at 500 and 600 yards, Calibre limited to .308, .223 only. (Not issued ammo).

• Target Rifle 800 yards, will consist of 2 sighters and 15 shots to count at 800, 900 & 1000 yards
      Calibre, limited to 308, .223 only. (Not issued ammo)

• F-Class 800, 900 & 1000 yards, will consist of 2 sighters and 15 rounds to count at each distance. (f-open and f-tr) (includes All Ireland provincial match)
    • F-Class teams match: will comprise of teams of 4 shooters from which the team may elect a captain and target coach. (2+15, distance 900 & 1000 yards, pits change will be allowed for teams to change target pullers)
    • Match Rifle: will consist of 2 sighters and 15 shots to count at 1000 yards, Calibre limited to .308 only.
    • 1000 yard Benchrest, aggregate of two 5 shot groups at 1,000 yards, seven minutes for each 5 shot group, unlimited sighting shots, classes will be F-TR rifle and F-Open rifle.
    Entries should be received not latter than 20 April 2011

1. All competitors must possess firearms cert and insurance,
    2. All competitors’ rifles being used to shoot mid-range and long range events on the windmill range must zero their rifles on the zeroing range, for more information contact MNSCI.
    3. Entries should be made payable to the national rifles association, MNSCI grounds, Derrymore, Blueball Tullamore, Co. Offaly.
    4. Late entries i.e. after 1st April will incur a late entry fee of 20%. Entries on the day will be at the discretion of the match director and will incur a late entry fee of 50%. (this excludes F-Class team entry fees which may be mad on day of competition but not latter than 09:30.
    Any further enquiries can be made directly to the NRAI at the contact details via the website.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm getting a few PMs asking questions about the specifics of the shoots. So a couple of points for clarity.

Target rifle - People are confusing Target rifle with F-Class. Target rifle is a .308/223 rifle with aperture/peep sights, sling, and jacket. No scope, no bipod so IOW not F-Open or FTR. This is a target rifle (compliments of the NRAI website);

Palma-rifle-small.jpg

Open Shoots - Only those events marked as "Open Shoots" both on this thread, and on the NRAI application form are open events. Meaning anyone with a current license, suitable rifle, and valid insurance can shoot in them. All other events are NRAI events and anyone wishing to participate must be a member of the NRAI.

Match Rifle - Again this is NOT F-Open/FTR. There are a very specific set of rules regarding the "settings" of the rifle that must be adhered to in order to take part. Have a read of the rules on the NRAI website.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, and i'll do my best to answer. :cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Just over 4 weeks to get your entries in. You may download the form, and post in your entries or deliver them in person to the range.

I am checking out the alternative of "pre-booking" by e-mailing the NRAI via the link above informing them of your intent to shoot in your selected discipline(s). However DO NOT take that as acceptable until confirmation has been posted.

For those wishing to enter the open shoots you may use the same methods above. For those not familiar with the range i have added directions below.

Thanks.

MNSCI-Location-large.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

are you ment enter now with that form and pay on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Ezridax wrote: »
    N.R.A.I. 2012 Nationals

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=11379

Entries on the day will be at the discretion of the match director and will incur a late entry fee of 50%. (this excludes F-Class team entry fees which may be mad on day of competition but not latter than 09:30.[/SIZE]
    [/LIST]
    Any further enquiries can be made directly to the NRAI at the contact details via the website.

Thanks.

Yes I would say quite MAD ;):D:D ... problem is I heading there myself!!:o:o and it is a short journey.

Yes I would say quite MAD ;):D:D ... problem is I heading there myself!!:o:o and it is a short journey.
    Was wondering how long it would take someone to cop that.
    bazza888 wrote: »
    are you ment enter now with that form and pay on the day?
    You can e-mail the NRAI through their "Contact us" link on the NRAI website or click the link supplied in this post. Provide your name and address and the shoot you want to take part in. Remember for non NRAI members there are only Open shoots available so please check the details before booking your spot so as to avoid disappointment on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

im going to do the historic rifle,my k31 license was granted just have to get time to go collect it now!!!

Baptism of fire for it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

• 1000 yard Benchrest, aggregate of two 5 shot groups at 1,000 yards, seven minutes for each 5 shot group, unlimited sighting shots, classes will be F-TR rifle and F-Open rifle.
    Any long range benchrest competitions coming up that will actually be for benchrest rifles rather than ftr/f-open guns

Contact the NRAI via the link i provided above. This thread is not for the discussion of future events, but about the Nationals.

2 weeks for applications to be in. 20th April.

Remember you can e-mail the NRAI via the link above and nominate your comp, and then pay on the day.

• Advertisement

Hi EZ, I see some of the images now require a Boards Gold account to view.... could you explain what the story is there and was this something put in sine the maintenance done on Saturday morning??? Just in time for today??

Cheers

Fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

2 weeks for applications to be in. 20th April.

Remember you can e-mail the NRAI via the link above and nominate your comp, and then pay on the day.

Do you have to sign on for the open shoot too?

You must sign an application form or e-mail the NRAI for any shoot. It's to make up details based on approx. numbers attending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

You must sign an application form or e-mail the NRAI for any shoot. It's to make up details based on approx. numbers attending.

Understand Ezridax,thanks.
    I presume I can do this at Mnsci?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Yes you can.
    If you download and fill in an application form from the NRAI website you can then hand it into the MNSCI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 applelodge

Hi Lads

What way dos the team shoot work???

Maybe a silly question... it wouldn't be my first :o ... but if you have a f-tr rig do you have to shoot off a rest in the benchrest comp or can you use your bipod??

Benchrest is nearly always shot using a front rest, and rear sand bag. I will check out if a person can use their bipod if they wish. I would imagine they can, but it may defeat the purpose of having a benchrest comp if you are basically sitting up shooting FTR. AS soon as i get an answer i'll get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

How does the team shoot work, just thinking it would be great to get the Ftr development squad to stick a team in...

Any word about being able to use a bipod for the BR?

• Advertisement

From everything i've been able to find, which is a lot btw, there is nothing to say you cannot, directly, but other rules seem to indicate you cannot.

For example the rules state the front rest must have a sand bag of no less than one half inch on the base and sides (IIRC). This would seem to eliminate the bipod as it has no sand bag quality to it.

There is also a rule about having any item that attachs to the rifle that may aid in battery/recoil. A bipod would do this, and hence break the rules. Of course there are three main bodies, and mulitple different variations of the sport so best advice is to ask on the day, but be prepared to use the rest.

May look into getting a front rest

I'll have mine, and your welcome to it. Not the fanciest of rests, but does the job. Failing that one of the lads there can supply one. No need to spend money, big or not, on a rest that will see little to no use afterwards.

I don't know what to make of the forecast for the weekend.
    Showers and ~15mph wind

See what happens on the weekend. No point trying to predict conditions so far in advance.;)

Don't worry Dev, those big heavy 190gr rocks you're throwing down range won't be pushed too far off target :D:D

Just thinking us novices are picking the nationals for our first comp ... :rolleyes: it's in at the deep end ... what a way to go :cool:

Just a quick Good Luck to all those taking part tomorrow, and Sunday. Weather reports are giving an "interesting" wind condition, but the news seems to be it'll be a dry day (for the most part) which is always nice.:D

Anyway see you all on the firing line.

Just want to thank the NRAI and MNSCI for organising a great weekend of shooting.
    We were lucky with the weather and at times was lovely and warm.
    The wind was a real tester and was a great learning experience.

Had a great laugh all weekend and the little 'battles' that were going on were priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

dev110 wrote: »
    Just want to thank the NRAI and MNSCI for organising a great weekend of shooting.
    We were lucky with the weather and at times was lovely and warm.
    The wind was a real tester and was a great learning experience.

Had a great laugh all weekend and the little 'battles' that were going on were priceless.

+1 on that. I had a good day there on Saturday. Entered the Hunting section and did very bad but enjoyed the crack. and it was pure magic to see Michelle Gallagher win the classic shooot with the Sweedish Mauser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Hondata92

Does anyone have any results from the weekend or know where they are available from

Advertisement