Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking Iphone 4S on Emobile

Options
  • 07-02-2012 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I am on Emobile and looking to unlock it . I have just upgraded it couple of days ago , been a customer with emobile for over a year .

When I was upgrading I was told in shop that Unlocking should not be a problem you just need to call cust . service .

I believed it as I did this last year and they unlocked samsung galaxy for me .

But I been told " WE WILL NEVER UNLOCK ".

I am travelling and I feel I have been scamed as I trusted what told in store and I trusted that as I had the experience last year where they did exactly as the guy in store told me .

Also I have a iphone 4S from o2 who unlocked for me in 2 days .

Can someone help . I can pay in advance any money i required .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 deeebeee

I'm having the same problem. Been onto emobile now since before xmas trying to get an unlock code. I've been told by apple that they can provide the unlock code but only to the carrier (emobile). Emobile will not ask apple for the code, their excuse is that they "don't have a process in place yet" to request this unlock code...

Did you really get an iphone 4s unlocked by O2 after 2 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

deeebeee wrote: »
    I'm having the same problem. Been onto emobile now since before xmas trying to get an unlock code. I've been told by apple that they can provide the unlock code but only to the carrier (emobile). Emobile will not ask apple for the code, their excuse is that they "don't have a process in place yet" to request this unlock code...

Did you really get an iphone 4s unlocked by O2 after 2 days?

Yes all you have to do is call them or fill there online form and it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

topdost wrote: »
    Yes all you have to do is call them or fill there online form and it happens

Hi Guys
    at this time I would have to confirm that we do not have an unlock code for this phone. I am not sure of the info supplied re our need to request this from apple. If this were the case I am sure we would have it.
    I have actually raised a ticket on this issue and am expecting to hear back on it for early next week.
    Tony

Hi Tony,
    There is no unlock code for any phone until it is generated by Apple. The procedure is:
    1.Emobile sends the request (factory unlock) including the IMEI/serial no
    2.Apple receives the request and generates an unlock code for the phone and confirms this to the carrier
    3.Emobile informs the customer
    4.Customer plugs iphone into itunes, itunes recognises the handset and activates the unlock.

It's misleading to say what you did. I find it hard to believe that of all the telecom knowledge available between eircom/emobile/meteor that your technical dept can't figure out a way to provide an unlock code to a customer. O2 and vodafone are provising this service within 2 days sometimes for a fee (35 eur I've heard) and sometimes free..

I'd be interested to hear the result you get from your raised ticket. So far any of the tickets that were raised on my behalf (complaints) were ignored. Hope you have better luck.. pleas do follow up your post and tell us what information you got.. it might finally solve this mystery

Hi Tony,
    There is no unlock code for any phone until it is generated by Apple. The procedure is:
    2.Apple receives the request and generates an unlock code for the phone and confirms this to the carrier
    4.Customer plugs iphone into itunes, itunes recognises the handset and activates the unlock.

It's misleading to say what you did. I find it hard to believe that of all the telecom knowledge available between eircom/emobile/meteor that your technical dept can't figure out a way to provide an unlock code to a customer. O2 and vodafone are provising this service within 2 days sometimes for a fee (35 eur I've heard) and sometimes free..

I'd be interested to hear the result you get from your raised ticket. So far any of the tickets that were raised on my behalf (complaints) were ignored. Hope you have better luck.. pleas do follow up your post and tell us what information you got.. it might finally solve this mystery

Hi deeebeee
    There was no intention to mis-lead here. My post just advised that ‘I would have to confirm that we do not have an unlock code for this phone’ ( true at this time) and that 'I was not sure of the info supplied in previous post'.
    I also stated that I would try and get an answer to this.
    However I do appreciate your own post and freely admit that I was not aware of the process you describe.
    I hope to have more info on this soon.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Appreciate the response Tony thanks.. If you do get an answer on this please pass it on... it's irritating to think that other networks can do what emobile cannot.. cheers

Appreciate the response Tony thanks.. If you do get an answer on this please pass it on... it's irritating to think that other networks can do what emobile cannot.. cheers

I will do deeebe and am awaiting info on this.
    Tony

Any update on the unlock issue with emobile Tony??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ihadto

Ihadto
    Newbie Poster
    Ihadto
    Re: IPHONE 4S UNLOCK/EMOBILE LIES!!!
    Options

* Edit Reply
    * Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend
    * Report Inappropriate Content

yesterday

There is no unlock code for the iPhone, apparently I thought the proceedure was, the carrier requested the unlock of the iPhone to Apple and then approved on request by Apple with the following procedure:
    2.Apple receives the request and approves the unlock for the phone and confirms this to the carrier

This however is not the case, eMobile lock the phone themselves, not Apple, Apple do not lock iPhones unless it is requested by the carrier and where the carrier has issue Apple the locking software to be imbedded in each phone. Apple issue only unlocked iPhones unless it is requested by the carrier and where the carrier has issued Apple the locking software to be imbedded in each phone, once the carrier receives the iPhones from Apple (if they are not previously locked, as in not requested to be locked before shipping), in this case eMobile, then they lock the phones themselves. I have verified this with an Apple employee.

By the way, I am still waiting on written e-mail confirmation from the Manager, as promised 24 hours ago!
    Report Inappropriate Content
    Message 31 of 39 (55 Views)
    Add Tag...
    Use commas between Tags
    Quick Reply Reply
    0 Thanks
    Accept as Solution
    Please use plain text.

Ihadto
    Newbie Poster
    Ihadto
    Options

* Edit Reply
    * Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend

yesterday

I have now also brought this matter up with the Commission for Communications Regulation.
    Message 32 of 39 (45 Views)
    Add Tag...
    Use commas between Tags
    Quick Reply Reply
    0 Thanks
    Accept as Solution
    Please use plain text.

Ihadto
    Newbie Poster
    Ihadto
    Options

* Edit Reply
    * Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend

yesterday

Still no e-mail from the manager 26 hours later.
    Message 33 of 39 (43 Views)
    Add Tag...
    Use commas between Tags
    Quick Reply Reply
    0 Thanks
    Accept as Solution
    Please use plain text.

Community Moderator eMobile_Grainne
    Community Moderator
    eMobile_Grainne
    Options

* Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend

yesterday
    Hi,

I am getting this chased up with the manager that you spoke with at the moment.
    Once I get a response back I will notify you.

Grainne
    Message 34 of 39 (39 Views)
    Add Tag...
    Use commas between Tags
    Quick Reply Reply
    0 Thanks
    Accept as Solution
    Please use plain text.

Ihadto
    Newbie Poster
    Ihadto
    Options

* Edit Reply
    * Delete
    * Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend

yesterday

Still no e-mail!
    Message 35 of 39 (27 Views)
    Add Tag...
    Use commas between Tags
    Quick Reply Reply
    0 Thanks
    Accept as Solution
    Please use plain text.

Ihadto
    Newbie Poster
    Ihadto
    Options

* Edit Reply
    * Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend

yesterday

This is a nice link on the Apple website, it gives a list of carriers which unlock iPhones on their network:

please look to the notes at the end of the list.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937
    Message 36 of 39 (21 Views)
    Add Tag...
    Use commas between Tags
    Quick Reply Reply
    0 Thanks
    Accept as Solution
    Please use plain text.

Ihadto
    Newbie Poster
    Ihadto
    Options

* Edit Reply
    * Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend

yesterday

It's from this page on the Apple website:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

Message 37 of 39 (19 Views)
    Add Tag...
    Use commas between Tags
    Quick Reply Reply
    0 Thanks
    Accept as Solution
    Please use plain text.

Ihadto
    Newbie Poster
    Ihadto
    Options

* Edit Reply
    * Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend

an hour ago

Commission for Communications Regulation have now raised the matter to eMobile, and are awaiting an answer also. I am still waiting on the e-mail of the statement that the manager made to me over the phone, as promised 2 days ago!
    Message 38 of 39 (7 Views)
    Add Tag...
    Use commas between Tags
    Quick Reply Reply
    0 Thanks
    Accept as Solution
    Please use plain text.

Community Moderator eMobile_Grainne
    Community Moderator
    eMobile_Grainne
    Options

* Mark as New
    * Bookmark
    * Subscribe
    * Subscribe to RSS Feed
    * Highlight
    * Accept as Solution
    * Print
    * Email to a Friend

an hour ago
    Hi,

I have been in contact with the manager you were speaking with and she is looking into getting an email sent to you.

Once the email has been sent I will notify you.
    Grainne

• Advertisement

@ iahdto

thanks for the heads up.. I've posted to that thread also

We'll wait and see...

@ iahdto

thanks for the heads up.. I've posted to that thread also

We'll wait and see...

Hi deeebeee
    I have pushed for answer on this issue for you again and hope to be able to clarify. I will post as soon as we have this.
    Tony

Cheers Tony, appreciate that...

thought you'd forgotten about us :)

Cheers Tony, appreciate that...

thought you'd forgotten about us :)

No deeebeee, :o but there has been a lot of conflicting information regarding this issue and I have asked for our position to be made clear. I hope to have this soon.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

I started this thread on 7th of Feb and nearly 1 month on , no solution , Do you really think Emobile cust service has got any crediability left . Honestly my sincere review is stay away from Emobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭madamab

My blood is boiling -

3 of us are Emobile customers - Me a bill pay and my sons pre pay!

I am got an iphone last summer but promptly let my oldest son have it. We are sick of problems with Emobile and the customer service is really poor. Staff that have attitude or know very little. Occasionally you get somebody really good! My lads decided to go with Tesco mobile so they switched today but the elder son with the mobile could not get his to work! Between the jigs and the reels we discovered that the iphone needed to be unlocked. I rang this evening to be told that Apple have not supplied the unlocking codes and that Emobile are being fobbed off by Apple so basically painting a poor picture of Apple! Then it got better , I mentioned that if my son could not use the phone with his new Tesco sim he would have to return to emobile so could they sort this out! The agent David said my son was a new customer so if I wanted a sim immediately to operate the phone I had to go and purchase one for 10 euro tomorrow!! Of course I laughed and said "you gotta be kidding" I have to pay for him to return to you guys because you wont let him leave as you wont unlock the phone!!! Thats the way it is Im afraid said David.

I asked for a supervisor - they all leave at 6pm. Could anyone else take a call - no only team leaders and senior agents who do not take calls!!

He said he could fill a form out and escalte a complaint with a supervisor but couldnt guarantee a call back - Wait for it - because they have so many to deal with.

Oh and by the way he also suggested unlocking the phone by another means - I said "Do you mean jailbreaking" yes you can find out how on the computer he said!!!

I am just at the end of my tether - this service is a disgrace!! And nobody is answerable. I dont let things lie and I am thinking of heading down to Heuston where they have their offices and just insisting somebody speak to me. I want to talk to the organ grinder not the bloody monkey!!

Oh and get this - last night my son spent ten minutes doing a survey for emobile - in the end he asked how long left is there and they said another 7 minutes - we had to go out!! I wonder are they actually beginning to listen to their customers - this would be amazing!!

Hi,

I've been getting the same treatment, Just called looking for an update on the email promised, as it has not come as of yet, and questioning why I am being charged for another month on the 30 day sim only plan, when I was promised that I would be changed over to a pre pay method. I'm also expecting a refund for over charges, which I haven't received after being promised twice that it was going to be processed.

And now their systems are down.

Will the lies never stop??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trunmaster

@ihadto:

I've been reading with interest yours and others posts regarding this problem on the emobile forum. I'm not an emobile customer so i'm not able to post. I noticed a post by someone called byandee, who said they talked to a senior rep in Cork and got it unlocked immediately. Did you get a reply from this person, and a telephone number of this rep Daniel?

My dad joined emobile last august for about 3 weeks and got the iphone 4 which a salesperson convinced him to buy. Unfortunately he is a bit a luddite and didn't have a clue how to use it so he went back to a nokia on vodafone! He offered it to me and, having lost one not long before, I gratefully accepted.

I live in the UK and needed to unlock it. I called emobile to ask them to unlock it for me, like I had done with o2 over here previously. As commonly stated in these forums, the agent told me the same crap that I have to ask apple, not them, and I believed it at the time so I went about unlocking it myself. I used a hardware chip called a gevey sim which you put in with your own sim card and this unlocks the phone.

This worked fine until xmas, where i accidentally updated the phone on itunes and now the gevey sim wont work because the firmware is updated. I have been searching online over the past 2 months for a solution but at this moment, if you are so inclined, there is no software or hardware unlock for the iphone 4 or 4S with the most up to date software (iOS 5.0.1 and modem firmware 04.08.11, you can find these in your settings) The only solution is an unlock from the original carrier (emobile).

I can understand peoples frustation with emobile considering this matter when other carriers will do it without any fuss. It doesn't surprise me though; I've dealt with eircom customer service a few years ago, was extremely frustrated and vowed to never use them again. It appears nothing has changed. Someone should tell them that they are no longer Telecom eireann, they are a private company and that reputation and good customer service is a valuable asset.

Sorry, went on for a bit there! @iahdto, if you have the contact details of this daniel guy it would be much appreciated, i'm stuck with an expensive ipod instead of a phone at the moment!

Hi,

I hadn't received an answer as of yet, but I'm following another vein on this, once I know more I'll let you know. In the meantime keep on trying with eMobile!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The iPhone4s is out around 4 months on eMobile and all of them would be in contract at this time. Other carriers are as seemingly unco-operative as eMobile...eg 3 Ireland.

However I would ask Tony to clarify whether eMobile will:

1. Confirm eircom/eMobile own the iphone 4s and NOT a third party.
    2. Will ever unlock a 4s
    3. When the unlock facility will come into place
    4. How much it will cost

Because nobody wants to buy a shiny brick, do they??

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The iPhone4s is out around 4 months on eMobile and all of them would be in contract at this time. Other carriers are as seemingly unco-operative as eMobile...eg 3 Ireland.

However I would ask Tony to clarify whether eMobile will:

1. Confirm eircom/eMobile own the iphone 4s and NOT a third party.
    2. Will ever unlock a 4s
    3. When the unlock facility will come into place
    4. How much it will cost

Because nobody wants to buy a shiny brick, do they??

Hi Sponge Bob
    I can confirm that we are currently in the process of getting an automated process up & running with Apple however I do not know exact date, but it should be here soon. I do not have any information on charges for unlocking codes, but we have not charged for this so far. I have asked for confirmation on this and am pushing for earliest update on when process will be available.

I am not sure what exactly you mean by eircom/eMobile owning the iphone 4s and NOT a third party. Can you expand on this point?
    Thanks
    Tony

Hi Sponge Bob
    I can confirm that we are currently in the process of getting an automated process up & running with Apple however I do not know exact date, but it should be here soon. I do not have any information on charges for unlocking codes, but we have not charged for this so far. I have asked for confirmation on this and am pushing for earliest update on when process will be available.

I am not sure what exactly you mean by eircom/eMobile owning the iphone 4s and NOT a third party. Can you expand on this point?
    Thanks
    Tony

I'm sorry Tony but having read previous posts on this and other forums, this is the same vague and general response posted by you and your fellow representatives on this issue.

As has been previously stated, the unlock facility is already in place. There is no automated process which you are working on getting from Apple and if there was it would be the same as the all the other carriers that currently provide it. I had an iphone unlocked before with o2 which came via text a few days after I had requested and this is the same with all carriers.
    I'll post it again:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

There is clearly a reluctance or refusal to comply with an unlock request. I have also heard from another post, that it is a policy of emobile not to unlock iphones! Why I cannot understand. The iphone will be paid for regardless on whether or not the contract is ended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'll leave that point. Can you tell your staff to be a bit clearer and state that they cannot CURRENTLY unlock iphone 4s as the process is not defined rather than they will never so do or put a clear note in the support pages which is where people would expect emobile to state the situation clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Hi Tony

I have a 4s and I will also be needing my phone unlocked as I will be travelling soon and need to use it abroad. Can you confirm what the correct proceedure is for requesting an unlock as soon as it is available ?

Also from speaking to apple they have confirmed that if you have a process in place to lock the phones you also have the facility to unlock them. So please stop trying to fob people off here on the forum and tell us the real issues at play here.

Why would your company put a proceedure in place to lock the phones when you can't unlock them ? surley someone within a company set up do deal with nothing but mobile phones must have suggested this may be an awful consumer relations issue at some stage down the line ?

Can you confirm why emobile are stalling on this and was this the same issue with the iphone 4 ?

Thanks

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I'll leave that point. Can you tell your staff to be a bit clearer and state that they cannot CURRENTLY unlock iphone 4s as the process is not defined rather than they will never so do or put a clear note in the support pages which is where people would expect emobile to state the situation clearly.

Hi Sponge Bob
    I do agree that clarity is needed and it is obvious and important that the same message should be delivered from all channels, otherwise we end up with the situation as is shown, on this thread for example. I have already acted on your above suggestion, and have made all support channels aware of the need for clarity here. However your note in support pages is also a good idea and hope to be able to supply this soon.
    Thanks
    Tony

@ Tony

Any news on this subject ??

If not any idea when you will be getting word back??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Just thought I'd give this threat a bump because as with everyhting else involving emobile the hope people will just go away, please stop fobbing people off and sort out the issue of unlocking the phones !

Again if you can lock them you can unlock them !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭wba88

Any update on this?

I wouldn't hold your breath. emobile's reps have gone quiet and I see no progress on their 'procedures with apple' they are supposedly in the process of setting up which we would have soon, whenever that is meant to be. I am sure it is a highly laborious and painstaking process and that emobile are doing their utmost to sort it out.
    4 months now without the 'phone' in my iphone. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

wba88 wrote: »
    Any update on this?

Hi guys,

If you DM me the mobile number, pin, the model and imei of your phone I can check this and advise you if your phone is eligible for unlocking. I will be back with this information as soon as I can.
    Tony

Advertisement