Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'A gentleman always pays for the first date'

• 07-02-2012 4:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

I was browsing boards and seen that posted in a thread and made me laugh :pac:

I have even heard girls I used to know quote the same. One going as far as to say "its a sign that a guy isnt worth it if he wont pay for the first 3 dates" (:pac:) ... I guess by the 4th you are meant to say "here, here's my credit card, house keys and pin number" lol.

So boards. This whole 'gentleman' should be expected to pay for the first date? Lets put it to a vote.

Should men be expected to pay for the first date? 230 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    100% 230 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Fuck no, this will be unbearable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

whatsamsn wrote: »
    I have even heard girls I used to know quote the same. One going as far as to say "its a sign that a guy isnt worth it if he wont pay for the first 3 dates" (:pac:)

And thats why girls shouldnt be left out of the kitchen :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If you'll get the ride ride, than yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Lukker- wrote: »
    If you'll get the ride ride, than yes.

Only problem is you dont know for sure you'll be getting any :pac:
    Even if a girl agrees before hand to going to a pub then back to yours. You dont know if that will pan out. Many a man has been dooped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The rule is generally that the person who does the inviting ought to pay. But still,if a woman asked me out I would feel too weird about her paying for my food, well unless it was an auntie or my mother or something.

I'd say either 50-50 or let the guy pay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

cash up front, always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I would demand half and then pay for my half with coupons retrieved from a old leather purse.

Chicks love that shit.

later10 wrote: »
    The rule is generally that the person who does the inviting ought to pay. But still,if a woman asked me out I would feel too weird about her paying for my food, well unless it was an auntie or my mother or something.

See, I am not mean with money (if fact i've pissed more away than what I care to admitl)
    But its bad if someone doesnt at least make any effort to contribute and that whole "person who asks out, pays" is bullshit. Thats BS spiel that using women say.

But a question, are you a woman? (i am not accusing you of being a user too for the record :) ) just apart of me assumes you are a man for some reason. maybe I am wrong.

**edit**
    you edited your post as I made my post.

If you're paying for the first date, you're setting yourself up for an expensive experience in which you'll be paying for everything, a relationship should be about sharing, not one party paying the way, if you want that get hookers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

are you a woman?
    Sure! My name is Cindi and I have 38DD boobies.

Don't let the Joe Duffy pic confuse you; that's just for getting me wet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

It should be 50/50 imo.

That way, the fellas don't get used by would-be gold diggers, and the ladies aren't expected to go back to his place to "reward" him for taking them out.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Nah always 50/50
    some guys can be weird about that tho especially on a first date. i always generally insisted on paying my way

Don't let the Joe Duffy pic confuse you; that's just for getting me wet.

1, I cant see users avatars when logged in.
    2, "The rule is generally that the person man who does the inviting ought to pay" :pac:
    3, I shall look for your balls. as clearly you lost them ;)

ha. you're whipped. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Girls always insist on paying 50/50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Want them lubricated? :cool:

In all honesty, despite believing absolutely in sexual equality (and being raised by a mother who was a feminist, albeit the most rational, no BS, down-to-earth one I have ever encountered!), I'm old-fashioned enough to believe that a guy should be prepared to put his hand in his pocket and cover the first date, whatever happens after that.

So sue me ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The sort of dates I'm on, you generally have to pay anyway...

Or they call Cécile over and he ties you in a knot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I would feel too weird about her paying for my food, well unless it was an auntie or my mother or something.
    In fairness, your mother always offers to pay for her half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Back in the day I would always attempt to pay for everything on the first date........................and it was always excepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I know a few women that expect their men to pay for everything :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I was browsing boards and seen that posted in a thread and made me laugh :pac:

I have even heard girls I used to know quote the same. One going as far as to say "its a sign that a guy isnt worth it if he wont pay for the first 3 dates" (:pac:) ... I guess by the 4th you are meant to say "here, here's my credit card, house keys and pin number" lol.

So boards. This whole 'gentleman' should be expected to pay for the first date? Lets put it to a vote.
    I've seen several guys say it on Boards.

Should most definitely be 50/50 IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Whoever invites the other one out pays.

I would always pay for the first date but then expect the date to buy a round of drinks in a pub after, and for the taxi back to my place after. I'll provide all the alcohol then. Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Id go 50/50...
    Always have done.. The only times my bf has outwardly paid for everything is on my birthday, and our anniversary.. I'd be uncomfortable if he paid for everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

yeah for the rest of his life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Elba101

Went on a date and the guy insisted on paying for the meal. I tried to pay for half, but he wouldn't let me.

Went for a few drinks after and again he wouldn't let me put my hand in my pocket. I felt bad becasue I knew I didn't want to go on another date with him.

So for this reason I wouldn't expect the guy to pay on the first date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I would always offer to pay and if she didnt try to split it I wouldnt be bothered ringing her again. Sometimes it would have been split, sometimes not - so long as she tried to pay her way its cool. Not doing so says a lot about someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

If the first date was to a restaurant I would expect the guy to pay for dinner and I would buy the drinks after, for a cinema date I would get the food and let him get the tickets.
    I'm not old fashioned or anything but it's nice to be made feel treated especially on a first date if things are going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A bit too small tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just go on a date that doesn't cost anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

What kind of first dates are ye going on? Caviar and Champagne at the Ritz?

First Date for me is usually a coffee or two. Don't mind paying for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,307 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It'd be less of a case of me buying the dinner, and more the case that if she didn't offer to go splits on the 1st or 2nd date, there wouldn't be a 3rd, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

the_syco wrote: »
    if she didn't offer to go splits on the 1st or 2nd date, there wouldn't be a 3rd, imo.

It's the reason I only date gymnasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

You want equality? Remember that shít when it comes to the bill.

There'll be no second date if a woman has an air of entitlement that the man should pay on the first date. That's a road I don't wanna go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'd be happy to pay, but I would expect her to at least offer to pay half, though I'd probably insist on paying it all.

Not out of chivalry mind you: I just generally don't like splitting bills. I like the paying to be spread evenly, as in I pay for one date, she pays for another, and it all pretty much evens out.

So if I liked the girl, I might say "I'll pay for this one; you pay for the next one... :cool:"
    Then strut like a boss...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thats why you should date women and not girls! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Where is the romance gone folks.
    If you ask a lady out for dinner as a first date, you shouldn't be asking her at all if you're going to ask her to cough up half the bill.

Don't be such a tight wad and spoil them rotten the first time. If they're a decent sort and it goes to a second date, I'm sure she'll insist on paying that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Where is the romance gone folks.
    If you ask a lady out for dinner as a first date, you shouldn't be asking her at all if you're going to ask her to cough up half the bill.

Don't be such a tight wad and spoil them rotten the first time. If they're a decent sort and it goes to a second date, I'm sure she'll insist on paying that time.

Sorry, I didn't read the word "Expected" in the original post.
    No, women should never EXPECT it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't read the word "Expected" in the original post.
    No, women should never EXPECT it

I would offer to pay half on the first date, but I would expect him to say no. I would insist on buying drinks, though.

After that, it's 50/50 all the way, but I still think it's the gentlemanly thing to do on the very first date. Yeah, I'm pretty old fashioned about first date etiquette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

It depends. My husband was an undergrad when we went out on our first date (I was a postgrad) and I really wanted to pay for the date, especially as I had helped pick the place we were eating at. As we dated longer as I was financially better off at that time than him I paid more which was fair - whoever is better off should pay more. I always offered to pay half. What does annoy me is if the guy "forgets" his wallet on several occasions - that is a no no for me.

Am married with children and we have joint finances so when we have a meal out we use our money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I always pay half. I think it's a really nice gesture if he buys me a drink or something, but I always get him one back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Anyone who votes 'YES' to this is a sexist.

I bet a fair few feminists have voted 'YES'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Since when did gentleman = john?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

it depends how the interview goes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

They guy should maybe offer to pay and then if she is a decent girl she will offer to go halves. If she doesn't offer then you got to be a gentleman and pay up then just not invite her out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

I only recently asked this one out at the start of the year, took her to a nice place. Felt stupid after paying for nice food and getting nothing in return. IMO female scabs are the worst. I am glad it didn't work out, oh soooo happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Inbox wrote: »
    They guy should maybe offer to pay and then if she is a decent girl she will offer to go halves. If she doesn't offer then you got to be a gentleman and pay up then just not invite her out again.

That sounds like a great way to waste ones time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I always pay half. I think it's a really nice gesture if he buys me a drink or something, but I always get him one back :)

thats how it starts

4 hours later to very drunk people who don't really know each other that well have a drunken heart to heart and wake up in a strange place spooning with all the clothes on and a very awkward moment :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'd feel weird asking to split it, so to avoid the awkwardness I just bring first dates to soup kitchens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

For the first few dates including coffees and drinks, I would offer to pay.

After a few dates and especially after some horizontal action, I'd be happy to pay for a nice meal.

I'm grateful that way :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I only recently asked this one out at the start of the year, took her to a nice place. Felt stupid after paying for nice food and getting nothing in return. IMO female scabs are the worst. I am glad it didn't work out, oh soooo happy.

What did you expect in return then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I bet she's happier....

• Advertisement
Advertisement