Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'A gentleman always pays for the first date'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

*Wild generalisation*

Fights against sexism and for equality, dragging the old misogynistic world into a more modern one.

Expects men to be old fashioned and pay for their meals :pac:

Anyways, I've never been faced with the problem of coughing up for a meal on first dates. Usually come across women who pay their dues or at the very least get me back with a few drinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

I bet she's happier....

she is always happy, it is easy to be happy when you have the brain of a child and you believe everything should be handed to you :rolleyes: I made the mistake of thinking someone older than me would be good for me. Turns out I can't date stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

If the first date was to a restaurant I would expect the guy to pay for dinner and I would buy the drinks after, for a cinema date I would get the food and let him get the tickets.
    I'm not old fashioned or anything but it's nice to be made feel treated especially on a first date if things are going well.

Does that not work both ways? What's so special about women that we deserve better treatment than men?

I'm not a feminist but this kind of bullshit really annoys me. Women have fought for equality for years yet there are still LOTS of woman who expect to be treated like princesses by men.

My boyfriend's housemate is one of these. She would not go on a second date with a guy if she had to put her hand in her pocket on a first date. She has been seeing this guy for a couple of months and he's paid for everything. What a sucker! I'd be mortified if a guy paid for everything on a date, I'd always insist on paying half. Once you get to know each other a bit more, I've no problem with the other person saying "I'll get this meal, you can get the next one" or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

These threads are always full of people sayin they'd do the just thing,and the reality is very different.

It kinda comes down to the chivalry v's equality argument.why think it's ok for someone else to pay for you? If we didn't go halves or roughly near to halves (not counting every cent) it wouldn't sit right with me.if I can't afford to do something I don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

If he invites me out for dinner, I expect him to pay. It's romantic, chivalrous and attractive. I also expect him to walk me to my taxi for same reasons. If I go into the bar to meet him, I expect him to get me a drink or beckon the lounge staff so I'm not hanging around the bar, hold the door, help me with my coat, that sort of thing.

People here seem to think it's a ruse for women to get free things. Believe me, there is nothing pleasant about eating or drinking with someone you're not interested in so don't even entertain that.

If it goes to drinks after dinner I'll be paying for those. If it goes to a second date or relationship, I'll be footing the bill equally.

It's fun to get ridiculously dressed up (costs a lot more than dinner usually) for a dinner date, flirt all night and feel spoiled.

But if you split the bill on first dinner out, yes I'll offer to pay and yes I will hang out with you for the evening and quite possibly end up friends but there is no way in hell we will be having a sleepover. Ever.

Katgurl wrote: »
    But if you split the bill on first dinner out, yes I'll offer to pay and yes I will hang out with you for the evening and quite possibly end up friends but there is no way in hell we will be having a sleepover. Ever.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

People here seem to think it's a ruse for women to get free things. Believe me, there is nothing pleasant about eating or drinking with someone you're not interested in so don't even entertain that.
    Don't think the feeling can't be mutual.

If he invites me out for dinner, I expect him to pay. It's romantic, chivalrous and attractive. I also expect him to walk me to my taxi for same reasons. If I go into the bar to meet him, I expect him to get me a drink or beckon the lounge staff so I'm not hanging around the bar, hold the door, help me with my coat, that sort of thing.

If it goes to drinks after dinner I'll be paying for those. If it goes to a second date or relationship, I'll be footing the bill equally.

It's fun to get ridiculously dressed up (costs a lot more than dinner usually) for a dinner date, flirt all night and feel spoiled.

Why should you be the one to feel spoiled? Why shouldn't he get to feel like that? Being a woman doesn't make you automatically more deserving to be be romanced and spoiled. I hate this attitude that so many women have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

He's dodging a bullet imo.

The justification that your clothes cost more than the cost of taking you for dinner is a humdinger.

• Advertisement

Why?

I wouldn't find him attractive because then were just two mates going out for dinner (although we'd often treat each other as a gesture of whatever).

Why did he even invite me if he's not going to treat me? And if he can't afford it, go somewhere cheap. The Chinese restaurants on Parnell st are great.

And I like old fashioned manners. So if he doesn't have them, we are probably not going to make a good match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Why?

Scared she might end up paying her own way through life I guess. Men are supposed to be providers and all that.

Why did he even invite me if he's not going to treat me? And if he can't afford it, go somewhere cheap. The Chinese restaurants on Parnell st are great.

And I like old fashioned manners. So if he doesn't have them, we are probably not going to make a good match.

So if you ever asked a guy out,you'd pay I assume? Or does being old fashioned not allow the woman to ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Guys want to feel this way too, ya know. Stop oppressing us! :D

Of course, for me, the whole "does the guy pay" thing is moot. On my dates, it's always a guy that's paying, be it me or him ;).

So if you ever asked a guy out,you'd pay I assume? Or does being old fashioned not allow the woman to ask?

absolutely I would and do pay. I generally don't ask out for a first date though but that's more down to fear of rejection than tradition.

I would never rely on someone financially. But splitting bills 50:50 isn't romantic in the very early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Nope, whoever asks for the date should pay, whatever gender. Imagine asking a fella on a date and expecting him to pay?

And the first date shouldn't be anything expensive, just coffee or a few drinks.
    whatsamsn wrote: »
    that whole "person who asks out, pays" is bull****. Thats BS spiel that using women say.

It is? And again, it is? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

The-Rigger wrote: »
    He's dodging a bullet imo.

Not at all. It would never cross my mind to not pick up the full tab on a first date......even if I wasn't that into her and knew we wouldn't be dating again.

Don't worry Katgurl, chivalry isnt completely dead!!

I wouldn't find him attractive because then were just two mates going out for dinner (although we'd often treat each other as a gesture of whatever).

Maybe I can get on board with this Kat.
    I can only presume you are a 1950's type housewife figure in the house so I have a few questions.

What brand of starch do you use for ironing a mans shirts?
    At what time is dinner served each night?

I presume you dress up pretty before your man arrives home after his hard days slog, take off his shoes, fetch his slipper and pipe after leading him to his favourite armchair in the drawing room which you earlier prepared, dusting and lighting a fire.

I also assume that you know your place.

I would never rely on someone financially. But splitting bills 50:50 isn't romantic in the very early days.

Isn't romantic? :confused: what is it about paying your way that detracts from the romance?

I genuinely don't get this attitude. I would never feel ok with someone paying for me,even with family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

References to old fashioned manners are funny, do people who want men to pay also want him to order their drinks, pull out their seat and decide what they will eat because these are also antiquated customs which can be described as "old fashioned manners"

For me personally if a girl didn't offer to pay half on a first date I would pay my half and then leave; knowing that I dodged the bullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you're going to pay then you should at least accidentally on purpose drop a condom out of your wallet just so she knows she'll be paying her share later!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I don't believe men and women are the same. Equal yes but different.

I believe in being a gentleman and would most certainly pay for a first date. I would also open a door for a lady, watch my language around her and all sorts of things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

You expect to this, you think a man would go to all that trouble, or a woman is bit much granted if id been seeing her for a couple of months then yea but first date which is really an interview... its a bit on the I read to many romantic books side of things..
    Can we not like agree to have a casual informal chilled out time instead of what you described which made me sweat buckets and get anxious..

all you've described is materialistic things, that don't really matter, the important things are can you get on with the person... How a gesture is acted apon.

As a guy id be put of if a woman said that to me as first date 2nd 3rd 4th or even 10th.... It just seem very self-indulgent and all about you, which isn't the case...

because the most important things are and they are can you get on can you laugh do you get each others personality and can you respect the person for what they do and are you booth sexually compatible...

How ever i would pay on the first date wouldn't bother me at all...

The-Rigger wrote: »

Maybe I can get on board with this Kat.
    I can only presume you are a 1950's type housewife figure in the house so I have a few questions.

What brand of starch do you use for ironing a mans shirts?
    At what time is dinner served each night?

I presume you dress up pretty before your man arrives home after his hard days slog, take off his shoes, fetch his slipper and pipe after leading him to his favourite armchair in the drawing room which you earlier prepared, dusting and lighting a fire.

I also assume that you know your place.

yeah of course, ribbon in my hair, don't bore him with the trivilaitiez of my day etc.

Lads we are talking about a FIRST DATE. And not the whole date (ie drinks after can be split) just not taking out the calculator when bill arrives in restaurant.

Is holding the door offensive too, I mean after all we are strong enough to hold it ourselves? What about complimenting her appearance, you really shouldn't bother until she notices and comments on every item you're wearing.

yeah of course, ribbon in my hair, don't bore him with the trivilaitiez of my day etc.

Lads we are talking about a FIRST DATE. And not the whole date (ie drinks after can be split) just not taking out the calculator when bill arrives in restaurant.

Is holding the door offensive too, I mean after all we are strong enough to hold it ourselves? What about complimenting her appearance, you really shouldn't bother until she notices and comments on every item you're wearing.

Would you be ok with knowing that a man in exactly the same position as you was earning more money just because he's a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

If I go into the bar to meet him, I expect him to get me a drink or beckon the lounge staff so I'm not hanging around the bar, hold the door, help me with my coat, that sort of thing.

Coats are not complicated pieces of machinery - anyone who needs help removing a coat has problems.
    My 2 year old has even figured out how to do this.

No chance of a hand job under the dinner table then?

i pay half or if it was something like cinema, he gets tickets i get food, that kind of thing
    if they insist on paying and i know they can afford it easily enough i'll accept but prefer to at least get them a drink or something

have to say i really don't get viewpoints like katgurl's... it's nice to be spoiled, yes, but expecting it as a given on a date and refusing to ever see them again unless they pay for everything, well, that's getting into princess territory
    Why did he even invite me if he's not going to treat me?
    Do you ever invite them and treat them? because if not that argument is going ot get you nowhere

Score. Expect a formal invite in due course for an evening of lavish regaling. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

smash wrote: »
    No chance of a hand job under the dinner table then?

I think traditionally that takes place in the car on the way home.

It's not the money aspect. It's the gesture. Like offering to pick her up before the cinema or walking her to her bus-stop.

One of the best dates I ever went on - I was swimming in town and he suggested meeting me afterwards. When I came out he was waiting with a coffee and croisssants for both of us - we hung out in the park for the afternoon. If he'd just had coffee for himself it would have lost it's romantic edge.

• Advertisement

It's not the money aspect. It's the gesture. Like offering to pick her up before the cinema or walking her to her bus-stop.

One of the best dates I ever went on - I was swimming in town and he suggested meeting me afterwards. When I came out he was waiting with a coffee and croisssants for both of us - we hung out in the park for the afternoon. If he'd just had coffee for himself it would have lost it's romantic edge.
    You watch too many chick flicks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

psinno wrote: »
    Scared she might end up paying her own way through life I guess. Men are supposed to be providers and all that.

In fairness, she was only talking about the first date, not her whole future relationship.

If I go into the bar to meet him, I expect him to get me a drink or beckon the lounge staff so I'm not hanging around the bar, hold the door, help me with my coat, that sort of thing.

Coats are not complicated pieces of machinery - anyone who needs help removing a coat has problems.
    My 2 year old has even figured out how to do this.

that's the whole point, it's not necessary, it's nice.

that's completely different to them forking out for a whole possibly expensive dinner because you demand it
    you're not even saying you'd buy him drinks as thanks, only that you'd split them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Women have va jin aaas.

I think that solves this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Girls who pay 50/50 or something along those lines are the ones worth going out with. Generally always nice

Sindri wrote: »
    Women have va jin aaas.

You sure about that? I thought it was a vagina!

Coffee and croissants? After swimming?!
    He should have had a bunch of hang sandwiches, king crisps (or meanies) and taeeee.

Women have va jin aaas.

Guys come on, we're all grown ups here.

The technical term is fanny.

• Advertisement

You watch too many chick flicks!

Maybe he had! He is french though so perhaps therein lies the difference.

Maybe he had! He is french though so perhaps therein lies the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

later10 wrote: »
    Women have va jin aaas.

Guys come on, we're all grown ups here.

The technical term is fanny.

It's Gee :mad:

It's Gee :mad:
    Look, if we're getting all politically correct here, lets just call it her box!

Katgurl, is box ok with you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Girls who pay 50/50 or something along those lines are the ones worth going out with. Generally always nice

I would always pay my share on future dates, or indeed pay the whole thing if I suggested a place and he was skint. That's what an equal relationship is all about.

However, on a first date (presuming the guy asked me and not the other way round) it's the gentlemanly thing to do to at least offer to pay in my opinion. I would be more than happy to pay for the drinks afterwards.

bluewolf wrote: »

that's completely different to them forking out for a whole possibly expensive dinner because you demand it
    you're not even saying you'd buy him drinks as thanks, only that you'd split them

because I demanded it? I believe we are discussing invitation-based dates.

Guys I really hope you are arguing on the principle here and in reality you don't ask girls out in the hope of getting her into bed, then when bill arrives, nod at her and tell her she has to pay an extra 2.70 because she ordered the prawns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

that's the whole point, it's not necessary, it's nice.

Yeah, I'm actually all for helping a lady remove her clothes.

katgurl wrote: »
    Guys I really hope you are arguing on the principle here and in reality you don't ask girls out in the hope of getting her into bed...
    Sweet, innocent Katgurl.

If he invites you and you say yes, then you expect him to pay. But you see, by saying yes, then he expects a ride... fair enough?

Guys I really hope you are arguing on the principle here and in reality you don't ask girls out in the hope of getting her into bed, then when bill arrives, nod at her and tell her she has to pay an extra 2.70 because she ordered the prawns.

I am female so don't bother pulling the gender card on this one

Yes, demanded - I assume you don't ask guys out & treat them (am I wrong?) and you won't go any further if they don't fork out, so yes, it's pretty much demanding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Do you ever ask anyone out? Do you offer to pay in that situation?

• Advertisement
Advertisement