Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'A gentleman always pays for the first date'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 MsLaura

smash wrote: »
    Yes, I've heard of that. You know the meaning of the word troll right?

So considering it was your first post on boards, I'd say you were trolling.

Bitter and jealous about who you sleep with... :pac::pac::pac:

Please, I couldn't care less who you sleep with!
    A troll is a supernatural being in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore. In origin, the term troll was a generally negative synonym for a jötunn (plural jötnar), a being in Norse mythology. In Old Norse sources, beings described as trolls dwell in isolated rocks, mountains, or caves, live together in small family units, and are rarely helpful to human beings.

How would your small family unit feel if they knew you were on the internet displaying jealousy over a random girl's sex life? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

MsLaura wrote: »
    How would your small family unit feel if they knew you were on the internet displaying jealousy over a random girl's sex life? ;)

:confused::confused: What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Assuming he's a straight male, I don't see why he would be jealous of you spreading your legs for every average height bloke you come across. Probably not his bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Everyone welcome our latest troll.... MsLaura.

give her a nice round of applause!
    I'm guessing you fit into the first category of guys :D
    You assumed that because I think you're a troll?
    Yes, I've heard of that. You know the meaning of the word troll right?

So considering it was your first post on boards, I'd say you were trolling.

Bitter and jealous about who you sleep with... :pac::pac::pac:

Please, I couldn't care less who you sleep with!

Enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Even if you don't intend to be a troll, you have to see how you come across as one.
    Twelve posts in and insulting other posters, going off-topic and telling stories that sound far-fetched.
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The last three dates I was on, I wasn't let pay for everything, but had to split the bill... bit of a change from the dating scene twenty odd years ago!

Even if you don't intend to be a troll, you have to see how you come across as one.
    Twelve posts in and insulting other posters, going off-topic and telling stories that sound far-fetched.

Oh look, another one's jelous. this time it's a cow. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Because I'm old fashioned. I want to be woed. Man hunter gatherer, woman make babies and dinner

You mean wooed, right? Or do you prefer your dates to be woefully bad? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I've been on two dates where the girls didn't offer to buy a drink.

The first date I had bought a round or two and was kinda expecting my date to offer, but she didn't. It was a Saturday night and I didn't want to let this tightarse ruin my night. So after maybe 7-8 drinks in I waited for more than 30min after we had finished our drinks to see if she would offer to buy me one, she didn't. I went up to the bar, bought myself a drink and didn't bother buying her one. I can't stand stingyness, she could have at least offered me a drink. So after the date we went our own ways and she text me quite a few times afterwards asking could we meet up again, needless to say I ignored her.

Moral of the story, if you don't at least offer to buy a drink on a date you're not getting a call back. Me paying for absolutely everything on a night out would mean my date's a hooker and I'll be damned if I'm going to date a prostitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I have no beef with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I have no beef with you.

Hahahahaha :D

Best post I've read today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Aaaaaand Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

Personally I think it depends on the situation meals, cinema, coffee etc... i think It's only fair to split the bill but I'd be a bit peeved if the man didn't at least offer to pay.I do think if its for a gig/match or something along those lines, that you wouldn't have normally gone too if you hadn't been asked, whoever did the asking should pay for the tickets, an ex took me to a rugby match for a first date (major points for doing something different) he got the tickets and I drove the 100 mile round trip, paid for petrol and parking, but if he had of asked me to pay for the my own ticket as well I would have left him there :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If I asked a girl out on a first date, I wouldn't mind paying but I'd watching like a hawk for signs that she was independent: getting a few drinks in afterwards would be essential to me seeing her again. Or offering to take me somewhere next time. It's not so much the money as what it says about a person.

Obviously with a partner it's different and dependent on many other factors. Who has more money; who is working or not or whether or not you just want to treat each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I can't believe that 79 people voted yes in the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

stovelid wrote: »
    If I asked a girl out on a first date, I wouldn't mind paying but I'd watching like a hawk for signs that she was independent: getting a few drinks in afterwards would be essential to me seeing her again. Or offering to take me somewhere next time. It's not so much the money as what it says about a person.

Obviously with a partner it's different and dependent on many other factors. Who has more money; who is working or not or whether or not you just want to treat each other.

completely agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

No, I always offered to go halves. He had dinner, I had dinner. Logically the split should be 50/50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

TheZohan wrote: »
    I've been on two dates where the girls didn't offer to buy a drink.

The first date I had bought a round or two and was kinda expecting my date to offer, but she didn't. It was a Saturday night and I didn't want to let this tightarse ruin my night. So after maybe 7-8 drinks in I waited for more than 30min after we had finished our drinks to see if she would offer to buy me one, she didn't. I went up to the bar, bought myself a drink and didn't bother buying her one. I can't stand stingyness, she could have at least offered me a drink. So after the date we went our own ways and she text me quite a few times afterwards asking could we meet up again, needless to say I ignored her.

Moral of the story, if you don't at least offer to buy a drink on a date you're not getting a call back. Me paying for absolutely everything on a night out would mean my date's a hooker and I'll be damned if I'm going to date a prostitute.

Jeez you got stung!

On a first date, I like it being 50/50. I've been on first dates where the guy has tried to pay for everything. Even though I'm a student and it would be quite handy for someone to pay all night, it just feels weird and is an added pressure if you don't like the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think that it's polite to offer to pay for a first meal on a first date but after that, if you're the one doing all the paying then you're being taken for a ride.

Anyhow, I'm a gay guy. So how does it work for us? :-/

I've always found it to be split 50-50, never any discussion or any hassle. Handy out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

See I am not tight with money I just hate to be used.
    And I did that whole paying for everything with a girl a few years ago like an utter fool (i was young & naive)

But lets be honest, we've all gone out on a few dates and for it to go no-where. So if you start paying for everything you run the risk of getting used. 'Cause people know after the first date if they want a second or never to see them again. But if you are willing to pay? some women would have no issue having a second, third, fourth or fifth date with you... THEN toss you aside.Probably when you are looking for sex. You know yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I always pay the woman and then leave the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think that it's polite to offer to pay for a first meal on a first date but after that, if you're the one doing all the paying then you're being taken for a ride.

Anyhow, I'm a gay guy. So how does it work for us? :-/
    I was just about to say the same thing. If I'm asking someone out I want to pay for meal or drink or cinema ticket, because I am asking them out. I've only once succeeded in this task and only because I pre-booked the cinema tickets. Every other time they manage to wrangle out of my having to pay and jesus they can be very determined for you not to pay when they don't want you to. In fact I've found it can be a deal breaker and often just give in and end up having my drink bought for me after five minutes of haggling.

It makes me wonder if it happens often that a man will continue to see a woman until she has sex with him then get rid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I usually pay for the date but that expense is included in my fee.

It makes me wonder if it happens often that a man will continue to see a woman until she has sex with him then get rid
    Be cheaper to get a hooker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

depends if she agrees to sleep in the wet patch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

depends if she agrees to sleep in the wet patch

thats my saying :mad:

Snowie wrote: »
    Pretty sure Lilly Allen wrote about it years ago. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Alot of people are saying ".. if the man asks her to go out, he should pay"

But arent men generally the ones who ask out girls as it is? :pac:
    Yeah sure, there are girls who do the asking. But in general, men ask the majority of the time.

So that statement above sounds stupid. Its almost like a BS technicality/rule/spiel. That you are trying to apply it to one example. While in reality, it also applies to majority of the time.

Pretty sure Lilly Allen wrote about it years ago. :P

were do yu think she got it from :mad:

copy righted of an errotic blog i wrote she was subscribed... ;)

Snowie wrote: »

Pretty sure it's a fairly straight forward descriptive term.

Pretty sure it's a fairly straight forward descriptive term.

no it not its not and thats that!
    any way i don't mind spending money on the first date
    its only money like...

A few drinks isn't the ned of the world tho it is nice, when a woman offers.. i apricate t but i don't expect it... .

Be cheaper to get a hooker.
    really? i thought they were fairly expensive
    whatsamsn wrote: »
    Alot of people are saying ".. if the man asks her to go out, he should pay"

But arent men generally the ones who ask out girls as it is? :pac:
    Yeah sure, there are girls who do the asking. But in general, men ask the majority of the time.

So that statement above sounds stupid. Its almost like a BS technicality/rule/spiel. That you are trying to apply it to one example. While in reality, it also applies to majority of the time.

I dunno if that really is the rule anymore. I think I've probably asked out more than have asked me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

Personally when It comes to first dates Id always offer to pay half.
    It is a nice gesture however if the guy offers to pay the whole thing. If that were the case I'd have no prob footing the drinks etc afterward.

If we didnt completely hate each other and decide to go our separate ways after the meal that is. (Not that ive had the luxury of being brought for dinner many times or anything) :(:(

From there on in it would definately be alternating though. I think that splitting the bill and counting out ur cash in the restaurant/where ever kinda just kills the whole 'date feeling' so Id prob go for I pay one he pays one kind thing.

Keep it nice and square you know. No need to be a looch or anything like that. Quite able to pay my own way. Thank.you.very.muchaaa :D:D

• Advertisement

really? i thought they were fairly expensive

It's a recession don't ya know :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It can be said either way, "Some Men / some women." All depends on what both people want out of it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 randofmact

I would say that the asker pays for the first time. After that it should be split 50/50... without being totally strict with the split, i think both people should just make the effort to alternate the costs, like one buy the cinema tickets and ther other buys the food, or one pays for dinner the other gives head under the table :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

As a woman, if I was on a first date, I would offer to pay half to be polite but if the guy didn't pay then I would assume that he is tight with money and it would really put me off seeing him again.
    Only the first date, after that I think it should be even stevens.

It's a recession don't ya know :pac:

shit, no wonder business has been going down the drain
    It can be said either way, "Some Men / some women." All depends on what both people want out of it really.

yeah yeah...balanced views are boring. more generalisations! :p
    randofmact wrote: »
    I would say that the asker pays for the first time. After that it should be split 50/50... without being totally strict with the split, i think both people should just make the effort to alternate the costs, like one buy the cinema tickets and ther other buys the food, or one pays for dinner the other gives head under the table :D

yiz have got me worried about my last few dates... i'll have to think back over to check i paid enough :o

• Advertisement

JustCoz wrote: »
    As a woman, if I was on a first date, I would offer to pay half to be polite but if the guy didn't pay then I would assume that he is tight with money and it would really put me off seeing him again.

I'm curious: why would you expect him to pay?

I'm a little surprised that in 2012 women would expect men to pay for everything, or even the first date. I would love to hear a rational explanation for this phenomenon - one which doesn't invoke nonsense such as 'chivalry'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I pay for the dinner, but the bitch pays for drinks afterwards. Thats how this gent rolls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

yeah yeah...balanced views are boring. more generalisations! :p

You can take yer sweeping generalisations to the kitchen, here's a brush! ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I would demand half and then pay for my half with coupons retrieved from a old leather purse.

Chicks love that shit.

Don't you mean Bitches??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No. I wouldn't expect a guy to pay for the first date if he does great but I rather we split the bill think it's fairer but its courteous that he offers and pay for the first date. Though I still wouldn't want to be taken for a ride either paying for him all the time if he doesn't repay the favour.

Guys or girls shouldn't feel that they have to pay for the first dates or any other date. Splitting the bill is better I think! Equality and all that! A guy or girl is under no obligation to have to pay depending on who asked who out or if he a guy.

Its tripe if a girl says that a guy has to fork out to pay for a bill if does that he is worth it. Not always the case! If he offers he is more of a gentle man if he does!

Though if he asks a girl out he shouldn't feel he has to pay for her but if he pays then its his choice. It shouldn't really matter who asks who out and who pays whether one of them or split the bill shouldn't matter either way.

Its a bit too much to ask to pay for someone in my opinion unless its a special occasion and really necessary!

Paying your own way or sharing the bills for dinner/drinks and so on is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I'm curious: why would you expect him to pay?

I'm a little surprised that in 2012 women would expect men to pay for everything, or even the first date. I would love to hear a rational explanation for this phenomenon - one which doesn't invoke nonsense such as 'chivalry'.

I know this is an unpopular opinion with men but I'm being honest and I can guarantee that 99% of my female friends share this view.
    Most girls want to feel that they are being treated like a lady on a first date and I think it's a nice tradition for the man to offer to pay. If the first date was dinner, I would offer to pay but would fully expect to be told to put my money away- it's not about the money, it's the sentiment. If we went on to have drinks afterwards then a round situation is fine but I think he should buy the first round.
    Is this unreasonable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Biatches is nicer than bitches, don't ye think? Personally, I always pay on the first date...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

Is this unreasonable?

Yes.

Pay half your way and don't be so miserable

Is this unreasonable?

Yes, in my opinion.

I mentioned earlier that I would always insist on paying for the first date, but if I even got the hint that I was expected to or that you would judge me if I hadn't, then I would be majorly put off.

I don't know why, I suppose it suggests a certain type of attitude, like that the girl feels I am privileged to be on a date with her, or that she is too good for me. That sort of imbalance is certainly not the way to start a relationship in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Jesus, climb down off that pedestal and put your hands in your pockets girls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement