Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'A gentleman always pays for the first date'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

There is very very few gentlemen in Ireland so the poll title needs to be rephrased.

There isn't much 'men' either as opposed to spoilt little boys. Most Irish guys would be afriad of their own shadow, they are not men at all.

Seriously?!!! Good god, that's a lot of vitriol right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

There is very very few gentlemen in Ireland so the poll title needs to be rephrased.

There isn't much 'men' either as opposed to spoilt little boys. Most Irish guys would be afriad of their own shadow, they are not men at all.

May I refer you and everyone else to my first post just under the OP.

Sindri wrote: »
    Fuck no, this will be unbearable.

Everyone go back and thank it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

of course he does, its fooking nag to hag to get your bag, bitches the lot of dem, but if you got enough beer adin you check her mum out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

whatsamsn wrote: »
    bitter much? :pac:

Im just telling it like it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

of course he does, its fooking nag to hag to get your bag, bitches the lot of dem, but if you got enough beer adin you check her mum out.

What :confused: Someone have a few beers on board? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Would you like some firelighters for your bra there? Might as well go all out

whatsamsn wrote: »
    bitter much? :pac:

you're not really, you're pretty much throwing out sweeping generalisations with nothing to back them up.

Irish blokes are great in my opinion but that's just how I see it.

Anyway title states a gentleman always pays. It says nothing about population density of gentlemen VS non- gentlemanly men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The corollorary of men needing to be more like "men", is that women need to be more like "women".

So, how many socks have you darned today? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Exactly. I love a man to take charge and to feel "looked after" but I definitely wouldn't have a sense of entitlement about it and I draw the line when it comes to being looked after in the financial sense. Not because of feminism of any sort, purely down to manners, decency and respect.

So have you found the perfect man yet?:rolleyes:

While a refreshing change from the bitter anti-women posts you sometimes find on AH (not so much in this thread), that's an incredible over-generalisation, and just as bad.

In what way are almost all Irish men spoiled and cowardly?
    And why?

There are very very few Irish guys who are attracted to feminine intelligent women, who have a good sense of humour, are sweet and have abit of respect for themself and are not afriad to let their true personality shine through. There is not alot of Irish women like this, this is especially evident on take me out ireland. It would be better to be a man at least there is a better chance of finding someone because a good few women are actually decent as opposed to not many men; rare to find a gentleman at all even a half decent guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

There are very very few Irish guys who are attracted to feminine intelligent women, who have a good sense of humour, are sweet and have abit of respect for themself and are not afriad to let their true personality shine through. There is not alot of Irish women like this, this is especially evident on take me out ireland. It would be better to be a man at least there is a better chance of finding someone because a good few women are actually decent as opposed to not many men; rare to find a gentleman at all even a half decent guy.

ah come on now, do those women really represent all irish women? :confused:

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The corollorary of men needing to be more like "men", is that women need to be more like "women".

So, how many socks have you darned today? :D

So you think Kate Middleton is darning just because she is who she is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Yeh because every man wants a masculine, dumb woman, whos dry, cold who dont respect themselves with the personallity of a plank :rolleyes:.

You watch Take Me Out Ireland and this is what your basing your perception on?:eek::eek::eek::eek:.

While a refreshing change from the bitter anti-women posts you sometimes find on AH (not so much in this thread), that's an incredible over-generalisation, and just as bad.

In what way are almost all Irish men spoiled and cowardly?
    And why?

I'm confused.

1) Irish men aren't real men because they aren't attracted to the right sort of Irish women.
    2) these women don't exist anyway.
    3) this theory is substantiated by tv3 low budget reality dating show 'take me out'
    4) it's better to be a man because over the course of your post it transpired that these quality women do exist and men get them while us Irish women are stuck with spoilt little boys

YEAH GURLFREND, you tell it like it is.

Men be not respecting us and all be interested in one thang. And that ain't yo feelings gurlfrend.

Men be not respecting us and all be interested in one thang. And that ain't yo feelings gurlfrend.

PRAISE THE LAWWWWD!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

That sounds like my ideal woman. And the ideal woman of quite a few men I know. I still think it's impossible to make such a generalisation.

And Take Me Out is not representative of either Irish men or women.

Are the girls on that programme what you think most Irish girls are like?

Yeh because every man wants a masculine, dumb woman, whos dry, cold who dont respect themselves with the personallity of a plank :rolleyes:.

You watch Take Me Out Ireland and this is what your basing your perception on?:eek::eek::eek::eek:.

No It's from my experience that I observed. If your in Ireland and If your a woman and if you are by nature and personality all of these: (a) thoughful and sensitive (b) honest (c) unique (d) warm hearted (e) independent thinker/intelligent then it will be very very hard to find a decent man. So you would have a much better chance when you leave Ireland of actually finding a decent guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Hahaha! Too much, stop it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

No It's from my experience that I observed. If your in Ireland and If your a woman and if you are by nature and personality all of these: (a) thoughful and sensitive (b) honest (c) unique (d) warm hearted (e) independent thinker/intelligent then it will be very very hard to find a decent man. So you would have a much better chance when you leave Ireland of actually finding a decent guy.

Those are great qualities to find in any person, and if you found them all in one person you would be very lucky. I think most Irish men would be delighted if they found a partner like that. I think you're being very unfair to Irish men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Perhaps you're looking in the wrong places. I know those traits are what myself and my peers would be attracted to.

jaja321 wrote: »
    Those are great qualities to find in any person, and if you found them all in one person you would be very lucky. I think most Irish men would be delighted if they found a partner like that. I think you're being very unfair to Irish men!

Well you are probably not Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Well you are probably not Irish

I am in fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

So you think Kate Middleton is darning just because she is who she is

Probably not. But maybe she'll be on Take Me Out next week and we can ask her to be sure?

Ooo, that's an idea. A special Diamond Jubilee edition of Take Me Out, with the Royal Family. I'm calling ITV before someone else nicks this!!

:D:D

Psst, don't forget to snap your fingers three times!

Jesus Christ you think you're all of those things.

May I turn your attention to this...

All typed in BIG FONT for maximum dramatic effect.

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    Perhaps you're looking in the wrong places. I know those traits are what myself and my peers would be attracted to.

Well that is very rare, there may be a few people like you looking for those things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

So I'm guessing Irish men have no interest in you and you like to try and convince yourself this is because you are just way too thoughtful and sensitive, honest, unique, warm hearted and intelligent? Right?

That really is what shines through from your posts by the way. Your sensitive, thoughtful, intelligent, warm hearted nature. :pac:

Not the first time you have come out with this, frankly cringe inducing, stuff either if I recall correctly.

Sorry but you really do just come across as very bitter and self pitying Rose.

Be still my beating heart. What a catch!

I don't think I have have all of those traits If I had one at least it would be something. Did I say I was all of those things. Most of my friends are like that not me that is why I said I am talking about experiences.

jaja321 wrote: »

QFT

Now if someone has those traits and still can't find a man we can do a bit of dissecting...

(a) thoughful and sensitive - extreme being over sensitive and flies off the handle for nothing

(b) honest - extreme -possibly too blunt, lacking in tact
    (c) unique - bat shìt crazy
    (d) warm hearted - has lots and lots of stray cats
    (e) independent thinker/intelligent - is cuckoo, living in a world of their own and thinks they are smarter than they really are.

I don't think I have have all of those traits If I had one at least it would be something. Did I say I was all of those things. Most of my friends are like that not me that is why I said I am talking about experiences.

If you think those traits are so admirable and desirable why don't you work on mirroring them instead of putting down our entire nation of men?

• Advertisement

this reeks of 'nice guys finish last' sob story

strobe wrote: »
    So I'm guessing Irish men have no interest in you and you like to try and convince yourself this is because you are just way too thoughtful and sensitive, honest, unique, warm hearted and intelligent? Right?

That really is what shines through from your posts by the way. Your sensitive, thoughtful, intelligent, warm hearted nature. :pac:

Not the first time you have come out with this, frankly cringe inducing, stuff either if I recall correctly.

Sorry but you really do just come across as very bitter and self pitying Rose.

Be still my beating heart. What a catch!

You come across as very judgemental and ignorant I am only talking about MY EXPERIENCES, these are not fact it is just what seems, I know people who feel the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

44leto wrote: »
    I have never paid for a date I have always went Dutch and I was never shy about letting the other person knowing its 50/50

But lately I'm so gagging for it I would gladly suspend my self respect.

How do you approach that subject on a date then?

Do you tell the woman from the start that you expect her to pay her share??

You come across as very judgemental and ignorant I am only talking about MY EXPERIENCES, these are not fact it is just what seems, I know people who feel the same way.

I know people who feel up squirrels.

Pot.kettle.

You came on here and dissed all Irish men, and it's not the first time you did it now is it? You're the one that's posting judgemental and ignorant crap, not strobe.

You need to have a look at your own posts.

TheZohan wrote: »
    QFT

Now if someone has those traits and still can't find a man we can do a bit of dissecting...

(a) thoughful and sensitive - extreme being over sensitive and flies off the handle for nothing

(b) honest - extreme -possibly too blunt, lacking in tact
    (c) unique - bat shìt crazy
    (d) warm hearted - has lots and lots of stray cats
    (e) independent thinker/intelligent - is cuckoo, living in a world of their own and thinks they are smarter than they really are.

Oh well at least I am different..extraordinary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

ah come on now, do those women really represent all irish women? :confused:

Oh sweet holy Moses, I hope not.

Oh sweet holy Moses, I hope not.

I just realised whenever i've seen that program I've thought of the women as another species, never associating them with normal women. hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You are far too quick to generalise & put people down, yet no slouch at playing yourself up to be something better than the rest. You sound like a pain in the arse - exactly the kind of woman that blokes run a mile to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I think we have a troll in our midst...

• Advertisement

You are far too quick to generalise & put people down, yet no slouch at playing yourself up to be something better than the rest. You sound like a pain in the arse - exactly the kind of woman that blokes run a mile to avoid.

and women if they've any sense.

I'm getting the impression RainbowRose that you and your friends spend your time discussing how rubbish Irish men are and how they don't value how amazing you all are.

But what sort of man (of any nationality) would go near that sort of hostility?

I wouldn't want to be listening to it either frankly. Dating / flirting / scoring etc is supposed to be fun, listening to people moaning on about how short-changed and under appreciated they are is mind numbingly boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't see such trends/traits prevalent among Irish men at all.
    The "mammied" Irishman cliche refers to a small minority ime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Ok if I can explain it in the currency we all know and in a econicamal way.

In general girls go out of their way to be attractive, generally this is based on other girls telling them they are unattractive, hence competition begins

In general guys go out of their way to be competitive, generally this is based on other guys telling them they should be more competitive, hence competition begins.

When I spend a first date with someone, it never occurs to me how much it would cost, I wonder what would the other person likes, that is generally from getting to know the person first, a first date can be watching a sunrise, after everyone else has gone to bed, neither spent anything, or a cup of take away coffee in a beautiful park, or a home cooked meal, I have never asked a person out to a restaurant for a first date, cinema sure, drinks sure, all of the above sure, and some times we both pay, sometimes I don't pay, sometimes I do pay,

But the reason I am going out with the person is because I'm interested in them and getting to know them, what ever makes them comfortable I'm happy with. It's nothing to do with what's in their wallet.

Mind you two or three times I have walked away from a first date, because a person didn't interest me enough, to continue (walk away means I politely said it was finished as a date)

I'm starting to see some people here need to learn how to date properly ;)

PS Sorry I didn't say in general was an extreme generalisation :)

In general girls make themselves attractive because of other girls telling them they're unattractive? As a girl, that's news to me. :confused:

I'd say most girls make themselves look attractive because making oneself look attractive is enjoyable, boosts confidence and makes one attractive to the opposite sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I'd prefer 50/50 but if a man insists on paying for dinner, I will accept but I will be getting the drinks afterwards. Why should the man have to pay for everything? Them days are long gone.

I'd be put off a guy who would pay for dinner and drinks all night and not let me pay for something at least. It's the first date, he doesn't yet know if there'll be a second or if it will be worth his while. I'd consider a guy who won't let me pay my share to be a bit of a soft touch, and small bit naive perhaps....

(BTW - I'm single so this doesn't really work well for me. I should probably develop a sense of entitlement and insist on the man paying for everything and it might work out better for me!!!).

Dudess wrote: »
    In general girls make themselves attractive because of other girls telling them they're unattractive? As a girl, that's news to me. :confused:

I'd say most girls make themselves look attractive because making oneself look attractive is enjoyable, boosts confidence and makes one attractive to the opposite sex.

+1

I'm not sure who these girls are but they don't frequent my circles of friends.

Wow, the amount who voted yes! :eek:

Some guys think the man should pay because of having a traditional chivalrous view - I'd imagine hardcore feminists would not like that.

I think it's sweet for a guy to make such a gesture but I wouldn't agree with him feeling such an obligation. If he insists, I buy him drinks after or a meal another time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Dudess wrote: »
    Some guys think the man should pay because of having a traditional chivalrous view - I'd imagine hardcore feminists would not like that.

I think it's sweet for a guy to make such a gesture but I wouldn't agree with him feeling such an obligation. If he insists, I buy him drinks after or a meal another time.

A blowjob afterwards works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I pay for dinner, she pays for a nightcap after and we both get a ride.. seems pretty straightforward to me.

If she expected me to pay for every date thereafter then we're into problem territory.

• Advertisement

SBG, I was going to put it in my edit but you saved me the bother. \0/

Advertisement