Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'A gentleman always pays for the first date'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭BlueSmoker

Dudess wrote: »
    In general girls make themselves attractive because of other girls telling them they're unattractive? As a girl, that's news to me. :confused:

I'd say most girls make themselves look attractive because making oneself look attractive is enjoyable, boosts confidence and makes one attractive to the opposite sex.

Agreed as I was trying to make a point, and I have edited my post, also I never said "girls telling them they're unattractive" I just said a competition starts between girls, I also said it is a generalisation, and seen as this thread seems to be deal with Male verus Female egos, I thought it better that I start off my post with a generalisation to make my point clear, Sorry if I came across offended you, my apologies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nah it wasn't offensive.

The "women make themselves attractive for other women" notion though is largely a myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Wow, the amount who voted yes! :eek:

Some guys think the man should pay because of having a traditional chivalrous view - I'd imagine hardcore feminists would not like that.

I think it's sweet for a guy to make such a gesture but I wouldn't agree with him feeling such an obligation. If he insists, I buy him drinks after or a meal another time.

Of course it's sweet - it shows the man is a) serious about impressing you and b) not afraid to open his wallet.

It says a lot when a man acts like a gentleman. Feminist or not, many women like to feel special on a first date. That's not to say we expect the man to pay for everything for ever more in the relationship!

Like I said, I'd be more than happy to pay my way after the first date. Hell, I've paid for weekends away to romantic hotels, theatre tickets, cinema tickets and meals for men too. I love treating the man in my life.

I would just find it very disappointing for a guy to ask me out on a first date and expect me to pay half straight away. It would just come off as stingy to me is all. Just my personal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

JustCoz wrote: »
    If the first date was dinner, I would offer to pay but would fully expect to be told to put my money away- it's not about the money, it's the sentiment.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Would women prefer to have fun on a first date and enjoy themselves and relax or just have money spent on them?

• Advertisement

Sindri wrote: »
    I know people who feel up squirrels.

Oh dear I think I've opened a can of worms, I have posted my tupence worth, instead about arguing about the first date, go out on one, it actually pritty amazing.:)

Guys impress the girl you like with romantic guestures, Bring her to a place you know and is full of trials. :)

Girls if you really like him expect to dress down for the occassion (always have it in your warridope) you never no when that first date may come along :) and it could be fun :)

BlueSmoker wrote: »
    Oh dear I think I've opened a can of worms, I have posted my tupence worth, instead about arguing about the first date, go out on one, it actually pritty amazing.:)

Guys impress the girl you like with romantic guestures, Bring her to a place you know and is full of trials. :)

Girls if you really like him expect to dress down for the occassion (always have it in your warridope) you never no when that first date may come along :) and it could be fun :)

Yeah...

Hmm, but it's kind of hard to catch squirrels. They make the Chinese acrobatic team look like Jabba the Hut.

Would women prefer to have fun on a first date and enjoy themselves and relax or just have money spent on them?

Are the two mutually exclusive?

Are the two mutually exclusive?

No it was meant to be rhetorical, I think nearly all would answer have fun most of the time and I was just phrasing a question about their priorities, which obviously should and would be have fun and relax I would think.

No?

No it was meant to be rhetorical, I think nearly all would answer have fun most of the time and I was just phrasing a question about their priorities, which obviously should and would be have fun and relax I would think.

No?

Of course. However, that doesn't mean the guy paying for the meal or whatever meant you couldn't still have fun and relax, does it?

• Advertisement

Of course. However, that doesn't mean the guy paying for the meal or whatever meant you couldn't still have fun and relax, does it?

No, just some people get really worked up over this shite. And really I was just thinking you hardly go out thinking about the price. Maybe you expect him to pay or not, but it's sort of the wrong thing to think on a date.

If I had the money I'd pay or offer to pay, if I was with male friends and had the money I'd offer to pay. It's just good manners. And if someone else offered to pay I'd insist I should I would or that we should split it.

It's not a big deal.

Nah it wasn't offensive.

The "women make themselves attractive for other women" notion though is largely a myth.

And I completely agree with you, but I have seen to many people in my life hurt because (including me) competiting with fellow friends, about who is the most attractive, who is the smartest, myth it could be but it happened to alot of people I care about, which makes it happen, an occassion happening.

Again my example was a rough generalisation, based on this thread itself, nor did I suggest that women we're making themselves attractive for each other, I just suggested that maybe the competition happens a little bit earlier, again in general term, (which is always an extreme generalistion)

I did actually make some other great points, in the post I made, would you agree or disagree with them, I would actually would love you to take a look at them and her your opinion on them. ;)

Rather than you taking a sentence of it out of context, I believe that's fair :)

instead about arguing about the first date, go out on one, it actually pritty amazing.:)

I've been on plenty of dates - and I always get dolled up to the nines for them as I like to look my best, but thanks for offering what you personally perceive as the way to broach it. We're all different eh? :)

What do you mean by warridope?

Nah it wasn't offensive.

And I completely agree with you, but I have seen to many people in my life hurt because (including me) competiting with fellow friends, about who is the most attractive, who is the smartest, myth it could be but it happened to alot of people I care about, which makes it happen, an occassion happening.

Again my example was a rough generalisation, based on this thread itself, nor did I suggest that women we're making themselves attractive for each other, I just suggested that maybe the competition happens a little bit earlier, again in general term, (which is always an extreme generalistion)

I did actually make some other great points, in the post I made, would you agree or disagree with them, I would actually would love you to take a look at them and her your opinion on them. ;)

Rather than you taking a sentence of it out of context, I believe that's fair :)
    With the "go on that first date" stuff (implying those who disagree with you have never been on one) and all the :) and ;) you're outdoing yourself in the passive-aggressive stakes! ":)" ";)"

I wasn't taking anything out of context, I was just struck by a particular thing you said. Much of the rest of what you say, I don't really follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 chloexxcxx

It depends, An expensive meal I would always offer to pay half , but a date to the cinema I think he would be a bit offended if i kept pushing a tenner on him.
    Any date ive been on even though I have offered they never take it, I always make sure I pick up something else though like ill say lets go somewhere for some desert and just pay straight away so he doesn't feel done by. Or even in the cinema when were queing for food ill just take money out and say dont be silly you got the tickets ...

Dont like girls who just expect men to pay for everything, not these days were men are lucky if they even have a job!

I've been on plenty of dates - and I always get dolled up to the nines for them as I like to look my best, but thanks for offering what you personally perceive as the way to broach it. We're all different eh? :)

What do you mean by warridope?

I can't spell for crap and my spell checker is acting up wardrope, warrobe, I give up something a person puts their clothes in, hanging up :)

Sorry I didn't mean to imply people haven't dated before in this thread, just at the fact if the need to worry/agrue about who is paying for the date, that maybe they should re think why they are dating. I generally date someone I'm interested in, and we generally come to an agreement of what we like, before the first date, and then we agree to do it (the first date) I'm never worried about who will pay for it, it just never crosses my mind, we get to spend time together and we like each other end of

Sorry if I confused you, but that is more or less what I meant (when saying people need to date more, it was a general term to this thread not anyone in paticular) :D

Wardrobe (cool I think I've got it, rock n roll) sorry mods way off topic, but why is it called that.:confused: Anyhow please delete and thank you ;)

I wasn't being smart, just checking in case it's a foreign term or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Wardrobe (cool I think I've got it, rock n roll) sorry mods way off topic, but why is it called that.:confused: Anyhow please delete and thank you ;)

I think I remember hearing that ye olde kings used to have the one room for their monies as well as their robes and fancy things. So 'ward' as in to guard and 'robe' as in ... ehh robes. So wardrobe was a room where you gaurded/warded stuff like the Kings monies but also where he kept his robes. Presumably the kings liked staring at their monies while getting dressed up and shit so it was handy to have their robes all in the same place as their spondoolies and jewels and crap. But commoners have no monies or robes and tend to be short of rooms so they just stuck their Levis and shirts and things in a little box dealy with doors and called it a wardrobe to make it sound fancier.

(I may have dreamt this.)

I wasn't being smart, just checking in case it's a foreign term or something...

No worries, I was trying to be funny. ;)

Great debate though. Looking forward to more in the future you are a great debater on here, I nod towards you out of respect **Nods** Looking forward to catching with you again, take care :) **leaves with a nod of respect**:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

So have you found the perfect man yet?:rolleyes:

I don't think there's such thing as the "perfect" man, and I don't see why my post you quoted deserved a rolleyes, but FWIW I do have a boyfriend who "looks after me" and is very good to me but when it comes to financial affairs we always split things. Obviously there are occasions when one of us pays and then the other person gets the next meal/night out/etc but from the first date we've always gone 50/50 and I'm more than happy with that.

In general girls make themselves attractive because of other girls telling them they're unattractive? As a girl, that's news to me. :confused:

I'd say most girls make themselves look attractive because making oneself look attractive is enjoyable, boosts confidence and makes one attractive to the opposite sex.

I did actually hear the "oh I tried not wearing makeup a couple days and someone said I looked ill, so I'm wearing it again" in work twice recently...

bluewolf wrote: »
    I did actually hear the "oh I tried not wearing makeup a couple days and someone said I looked ill, so I'm wearing it again" in work twice recently...

Probably because you looked pale without foundation or whatever.

I don't know anything about make up, I swear...:o

I think it's clear I'm not talking about me :)

I almost never wear foundation to work anyway

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think it's clear I'm not talking about me :)

I almost never wear foundation to work anyway

Yeah it shows.... Over the internet through a computer screen. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I think it's something like 65% of women wear make-up to look their best in case they ever fall into my line-of-sight.

It's an interesting statistic and I do appreciate the effort, ladies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

hehe i believe you :D

seriously though, ive heard sooo many girls, when not wearing makeup or much of it, saying oh god i look so pale/white today :confused:
    and saying that like it a bad thing :eek: , so chicks want to look brown then and that makes you look healthy :rolleyes: the mind boggles sometimes with things like that!

exactly, i mean why would you make yourself look attractive to your friends :confused: unless your wanting to get the ride off them or something , i suppose theres some people who might who knows :pac:
    i personally make myself more attractive for me, or for a guy/guys, or moreso both if i can ;)

candy-gal1 wrote: »

seriously though, ive heard sooo many girls, when not wearing makeup or much of it, saying oh god i look so pale/white today :confused:
    and saying that like it a bad thing :eek: , so chicks want to look brown then and that makes you look healthy :rolleyes: the mind boggles sometimes with things like that!

I know, most girls look better without make-up and a good few Irish women seem to be unable to apply it properly and seem to be a bit liberal with the stuff.

Touching yourself up :rolleyes: ;), is grand, and a little bit doesn't do you any harm but some women cake the stuff on, or think they're Cleopatra with the eye-liner.

And travellers with fake tan look like oompa loompas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

I wouldn't expect a man to pay for me, I'd happily go 50/50, even if he was going to pay for me and insisted so much I'd look like a cow to refuse, I'd feel really bad about it and insist I at least buy him a drink or something later.

I know, most girls look better without make-up and a good few Irish women seem to be unable to apply it properly and seem to be a bit liberal with the stuff.

Touching yourself up :rolleyes: ;), is grand, and a little bit doesn't do you any harm but some women cake the stuff on, or think they're Cleopatra with the eye-liner.

well, the eyeliner thing i do myself tbh :o:D , but have to agree with you entirely on everything else, bring back the days before tan/pore cloggingly awful makeup was the norm and a little makeup just to accentuate things etc was the way to go :)

This is completely off the topic of the thread but most girls don't look better without make-up. Most girls look better with NATURAL make-up than caked on but there are VERY few women in the world who look better without make-up than with a little bit on.

This is completely off the topic of the thread but most girls don't look better without make-up. Most girls look better with NATURAL make-up than caked on but there are VERY few women in the world who look better without make-up than with a little bit on.

I prefer true beauty.:rolleyes::o:D;)

Fair enough, everyone has different opinions :) I just find that most men who say "women look better without make-up" don't tend to realise that the women they think are wearing no make-up actually have a little on. Often you'll see pictures of celebrities pictured looking "au naturel" and beautiful but again, most of the time they do have make-up on. The more honest photos of celebs without make-up are the ones where they're looking blotchy and with bags under their eyes. Of course this isn't always true. I saw a picture of Rihanna recently where she had absolutely no make-up and although she looked tired and her skin tone was a little uneven, she still looked absolutely beautiful. Then again, she has age on her side :)

It's the same with fake tan, and I've made this argument numerous times on boards! "Women look horrible with fake tan on." Correction: "Women look horrible with badly applied/too dark/too orange/etc fake tan on." There are lots of women out there who wear fake tan well, apply it properly, wear a suitable colour to their skin and don't overdo it, and most people (particularly men) wouldn't even realise they were wearing tan. It's the ones who overdo it on the orange stuff who give the rest of the fake-tan wearers bad names :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Fair enough, everyone has different opinions :) I just find that most men who say "women look better without make-up" don't tend to realise that the women they think are wearing no make-up actually have a little on. Often you'll see pictures of celebrities pictured looking "au naturel" and beautiful but again, most of the time they do have make-up on. The more honest photos of celebs without make-up are the ones where they're looking blotchy and with bags under their eyes. Of course this isn't always true. I saw a picture of Rihanna recently where she had absolutely no make-up and although she looked tired and her skin tone was a little uneven, she still looked absolutely beautiful. Then again, she has age on her side :)

It's the same with fake tan, and I've made this argument numerous times on boards! "Women look horrible with fake tan on." Correction: "Women look horrible with badly applied/too dark/too orange/etc fake tan on." There are lots of women out there who wear fake tan well, apply it properly, wear a suitable colour to their skin and don't overdo it, and most people (particularly men) wouldn't even realise they were wearing tan. It's the ones who overdo it on the orange stuff who give the rest of the fake-tan wearers bad names :D

Hilarious but every word is true. I've had so many men comment on how they hate girls with fake tan and how I've lovely naturally sallow skin not realising i've been helping it since I was a teenager. Ditto on the make-up thing. While the clown face is horrific, there isn't a woman alive who looks better with bags under her eyes and invisible eyelashes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Katgurl wrote: »
    While the clown face is horrific, there isn't a woman alive who looks better with bags under her eyes and invisible eyelashes.

Doesn't really matter when your face is in the pillow!

Maybe I'm gay. I can always tell when women are wearing make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

smash wrote: »
    While the clown face is horrific, there isn't a woman alive who looks better with bags under her eyes and invisible eyelashes.

Doesn't really matter when your face is in the pillow!

yes but it might matter when an imprint of the clown face is left on the pillow as a souvenir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

yes but it might matter when an imprint of the clown face is left on the pillow as a souvenir
    A bit of vanish would sort that out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Just think of all the missed roofies opportunities :(

My heart crys....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Personally I like to go 50/50 on a first date as there is a world of difference between a first date and dating. Once we're properly dating, if he wants to treat me to a night out, then fair enough. I'd rather go into a date knowing that I'll be paying half and then I can enjoy the date without wondering if I'm supposed to politely offer to pay half/how much of a fight do I put up/is he being genuine when he offers/I can't see myself going on a second date so him paying won't be fair etc.

If he wanted to add up the cost of what each of us had and pay the bill that way, I would run for the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rare to find a gentleman at all even a half decent guy.
    That's right Rose, you're single at 30 because there's something wrong with ALL of the men. That must be it, couldn't be any other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Missmiddleton

Women wanted to be treated equally in society so they should be treated equally in a relationship, they can't have it both ways. I think dates should be split down the middle unless either party decides they want to treat the other.

Women wanted to be treated equally in society so they should be treated equally in a relationship, they can't have it both ways. I think dates should be split down the middle unless either party decides they want to treat the other.

Yeah, there's nothing I love more than splitting a woman down the middle (with my huge penis) (That is quite LARGE).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

candy-gal1 wrote: »

it's become what's considered healthy, and in fairness how many pale skinned models do you see about?
    seamus wrote: »
    That's right Rose, you're single at 30 because there's something wrong with ALL of the men. That must be it, couldn't be any other reason.

what's being 30 got to do with anything? that's a little harsh tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I would insist on paying for a first date if I invited someone out, but I would prefer if they offered to pay their share (if that makes sense) I'd like to treat them, but i wouldnt like to think they were expecting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Miaow!

Not agreeing with rainbow rose at all, but this was pretty harsh. What has her age got to do with it? Oh right, any woman single at 30 is screwed and a bit tragic, amiright? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

what's being 30 got to do with anything? that's a little harsh tbh.

There's very few single women over 30 who don't smell of desperation.

Or cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Miaow!

Not agreeing with rainbow rose at all, but this was pretty harsh. What has her age got to do with it? Oh right, any woman single at 30 is screwed and a bit tragic, amiright? :rolleyes:
    Her age has nothing to do with it. But there is a direct correlation between age and a woman's level of bitterness.

I'm assuming that her deep bitterness towards men is a function of having reached the landmark age of 30 while single. Most women get through it gracefully. This girl doesn't seem to have. Or maybe she's been bitter a long time.

Harsh? Yes. But I don't like seeing such gross inaccurate generalisations of my single brethern. All too often they're the victims of unreastically high standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Harsh? Yes. But I don't like seeing such gross inaccurate generalisations of my single brethern. All too often they're the victims of unreastically high standards.

I didn't agree with what she said but, to be honest, what you retorted with wasn't much better. Not better at all, in fact. Quite snide. Seriously, take the high road!

From reading various threads here via the search function, it seems both men and women alike on this site are pretty picky. Not sure there's anything wrong with that either!

• Advertisement
Advertisement