Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing vegetables on a percolation area?

Options
  • 07-02-2012 6:41am

Growing vegetables on a septic tank percolation area, is it advisable or could there be health issues.

I have a section of garden that is the percolation are of the Biocycle system, the ground is raised so never gets swampy and all the weeds grow like mad! So should be perfect for growing Veg.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Growing vegetables on a septic tank percolation area, is it advisable or could there be health issues.

I have a section of garden that is the percolation are of the Biocycle system, the ground is raised so never gets swampy and all the weeds grow like mad! So should be perfect for growing Veg.

Any opinions?

My understanding was that there is no great issue to growing veg on a percolation area, PROVIDING, the septic tank is working ok. The pipes are normally about half a metre underground ? The danger I guess is that you only need to have an issue with the tank & the whole crop could be contaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

I was about to post a similar question !
    My plan was to place a series of raised beds, made from wooden frames, using old scaffold planks etc, along the top of the percolation area, as its impossible to grow anything there. This would avoid roots actually going too deep into percolation area.
    Last year we bought loads of wild flower, meadow seeds, but barely a few plants took. In the summer time its get so dry and arid due to the very sandy mix and by its free draining nature .
    Hence my idea of using raised beds, was wondering what to grow ? As we are in Dublin Mon to Fri, it would have to be something that "could look after itself midweek" !

All suggestions and advice would be most welcome.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Similar situation here. I'll be looking for low maintainance . When did you sow wildflower seeds and where did you get them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Bought them any time I saw them in Garden centres, also bought quite a few boxes in either Lidle or Aldi, sowed them last spring, but I think we only fed the birds !
    All we got was a sparse few plants :(. It sounded great, and i had great visions of a lush meadow, full of wild flowers on the percolation area, even planned on mowing a random path through it !

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭robin3

hi, i tried doing the wild flower meadow thing too, not successful. So I am now looking for more ideas for this area of my garden
    anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement