Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move to Artane - advice

Options
  • 07-02-2012 9:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭

I'm possibly going to moving to Artane. Can anybody advise me what the area is like? Good amenities, is it rough etc Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Artane is pretty good, what part are you looking to move to?

You have Artaine Castle shopping centre, where Tesco are the Supermarket, a five minute drive is Northside Shopping Centre, with Superquinn and Dunnes in there.

You've got plenty of schools, primary and secondary. Beaumont Hospital on your doorstep.

Lots of pubs all around, some very good ones. One of the best off-licences in the country in McHugh's on the Malahide Road. There are other shops and take aways around the place too.

Soccer, GAA and swimming pools.

It's not a rough area at all, in my opinion, there are certainly rougher areas, Clontarf, around the corner, would be "posher" probably.

Close to town, and plenty of bus service, the Malahide Road is one of the main roads into the city, Killester Dart a short walk, the night link uses the Malahide Road and a taxi from town would be about fifteen quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I've a new job in Beaumont Hospital so i'm looking at a house in Montrose beside the church and school

TheTwiz wrote: »
    I've a new job in Beaumont Hospital so i'm looking at a house in Montrose beside the church and school

Yeah, grand place, nice and quiet, but walkable for pubs and stuff. And definitely walkable from Artaine Castle for the shopping.

My sister used to live in that estate I think, either there or Whitethorn or Elm Mount, one of theose estates just off Skelly's Lane anyway.

You've even got Beaumount and Whitehall close enough, and Drumcondra too wouldn't be too far from there.

It's a decent spot, and if the house is in good condition, I'd definitely take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

Cheers for the advice Desmond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

TheTwiz wrote: »

The Ardmore/Montrose estate is great! I grew up in it.

You're within walking distance of Artaine Castle, Northside SC and Omni Park SC/cinema (Omni is a bit of a longer walk but still easily walkable). There are some nice pubs around the area, especially the Ardlea Inn and the Goblet.

If you have young children, St. Fiachra's NS is in the Ardmore/Montrose estate, as is a lovely church, if you're so inclined.

There is a great little hole in the wall shop on the Beaumont Road/Skelly's Lane, just outside of the estate, which has all you need from a local little shop. I'm not sure if it's still called 'The Hatch' but that's what all the locals still refer to it as.

I'd say, if the house is nice, definitely take it!

If you need any more info on the estate, let me know :)

• Advertisement

We must know each other Cosmic :)

I disagree with you on one thing.

The A1 is a horrible pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

And I'd disagree with you on one thing - Clontarf isn't 'around the corner' from Artane!!

But everything else I agree with - that's a lovely estate, my pal grew up there and I spent many happy days there. Close to shopping, public transport (DART is a bit of a walk, but loads of buses into city centre), great schools etc. There's also some great stuff going on in the Recreation Centre, it's worth taking a look at their notice board to see the regular activities that go on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Des wrote: »
    We must know each other Cosmic :)

I disagree with you on one thing.

The A1 is a horrible pub.

Ha ha - we probably do! I've thought that from other posts over the years too :)

I have a soft spot for the A1. Used to go there every Sunday as a kid with my dad. That might be clouding my judgement so! You definitely can't beat a bag of chips from the chipper next door for the walk home though :)

The Alpine Grill, they used to do whopper potato cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

excellent advice there from Desmond

• Advertisement

Oh, something else just popped into my head.

If you do move in where you said you are thinking of moving to, the Beaumont House pub is just down the road, and does lovely food, I hear the chef is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Oh, something else just popped into my head.

If you do move in where you said you are thinking of moving to, the Beaumont House pub is just down the road, and does lovely food, I hear the chef is excellent.

And the OP might just see the infamous bertie there too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The Alpine Grill, they used to do whopper potato cakes.

Try the Doner Kebab meal, it's yummy :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

the Beaumont House pub is just down the road, and does lovely food, I hear the chef is excellent.

Overpriced,small portions and dried up food to boot.

And former Taoiseach and criminal Bertie Aherne drinks there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Grand area

You have an excellent bus service on the Malahide Rd

You can walk down to Killester Dart Station. You have to walk there, there is no parking but no hardship, it's not far

Well if there are children you can take them walking or cycling down on the facilities by the coast road.

Or take them up to Raheny park

There are good schools in the area, listed above

Goblet is a good pub

You've chosen well OP

Advertisement