Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Choosing Please........

Options
  • 07-02-2012 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

hi all i've been following these threads for a number of weeks, and I know you've covered this topic several times before but I really do need some personal advice.

Basically I smoke approx 30 marlboro lights per day, or 12.5g of Golden Virginia per day, I bought one of the disposable e cigs the other day and have had a few puffs of it, seems fairly ok, but not enough of a hit for me, i feel like i'm 'smoking' a light cigarette. Anyway, i'd love to try some of the other products but haven't a clue what to go for, with 2 young kids around i need something that's quick to use.

Can anyone recommend something suitable for me please??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76761771&postcount=4

dual coil cartomiser set i've reccomended to a few people now

you probably want to go for at least 18mg strength juice. maybe higher than that if you're a 30+ a day smoker.

--edit

apparently the battery in that post isdd out of stock so

http://www.thebestshop.eu/batteries/joye-ego-t-battery-all-types-/prod_192.html

battery here

ugh
    actually, a few of the things are out of stock

i havent even had a coffee yet, ill do up a list for you in the next half hour :)

http://www.thebestshop.eu/batteries/joye-ego-t-battery-all-types-/prod_192.html
    the batteries . you can decide for yourself whether you want the 650/900/1000mha. the bigger number means it lasts longer without needing to be charged, be warned though that the 1000mha is pretty damn big. I have 900mha's and I found them to be a good size and they'd last me a day before needing to be charged even though I was using it pretty much all day.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/blank-cartomizers/dual-coil-lr-xl-cartomizer/prod_196.html
    the cartomiser. this is the actual vaping device. you drip your liquid onto the filler (it's really easy), it soaks it up and feeds it to the heating coil in the cartomizer. they cost around 2 euro a pop when you buy them individually and they perform well (when they perform well, as with all things e-cig.. it's possible to be unlucky and get a dud that only lasts a couple of days or just underperforms from the get-go. I was a heavy vaper when I used these and I tended to get a week out of them, which at 2 euro a pop is great. Even when I got a dud, at 2 euro a go.. i just tossed them in the bin and didn't think about them, still way cheaper than fags.

others might reccomend a tank system instead of a cartomizer, the lack of filling material to soak up juices in a tank does mean the flavour is a bit better but in general I (and many others) found tanks too unreliable, leaky and too expensive to justify the sadly short life. When tanks work, they work fantastic but iirc they cost about a tenner a go and it just wasnt worth it for me when I could get the dual coil cartomisers for 2 euro each. I was willing to sacrifice a fuller flavour for an overall better vaping experience. The dual coil cartomizers have a hotter vape, so more like a cigarette in that regard and they produce more vapour (although it's so long since i've used tanks, maybe that's not true anymore)

you'll want to get a drip tip as well, there's an option on the cartomiser page. I reccomend the plastic or the transparent.. never liked metal drip tips myself.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/joye-ego-and-ego-t/spare-parts-for-joye-ego/fast-usb-charger-for-joye-ego/tornado/eco-ego/riva/prod_111.html

charger for battery

http://www.thebestshop.eu/accessories/mains-to-usb-adaptor/prod_60.html

wall plug usb adapter for charger

http://www.thebestshop.eu/standard-eliquid-pg-/-vg/10ml-eliquid-pg/prod_99.html

juices

juice wise i'd reccomend you get a few 10ml bottles, just to test out flavours and see what you liike. better than buying 30 or 50ml of something and deciding you hate it

like i said above, for you i'd reccomend 18 or 24mg
    nice tobacco-ish juices i'd reccomend are wenston/winston, deluxe tobacco, marlboro (usa mix) and I have a personal love for the dk-tab although it seems to be divisive.

with the juices, you wont find one that tastes like a cigarette as it's pretty hard to replicate the taste of ash and burning plant. tobacco flavoured juices are more of.. an idea of tobacco, but they can be pretty nice and satisfying if that's what you're after

discount code of IRISHVAPE for thebestshop.. i think it's 10%, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pepperpixie

hiya thank you sooo much for your reply, just looking at the products you recommended, and wondering the about the blank cartomizers, these are a disposable product??? How long before you need to replace them?? Also approx how much juice would you recommed for me to order to keep me going say 1 to 2 weeks, it's just i hate the thoughts of running out of 'fags".

oh and sorry, but what do you think of the eGo-T DCC Promotional Starter Kit @ 49.99??

the ego-t dcc starter kit is pretty good but it's out of stock :)

you can also get the pieces seperately for cheaper, because you don't need the carry case. the e-cig can just go in your pocket or bag

the cartomisers are listed as disposable yeah. I'm a heavy vaper and I tended to get a week out of one. Sometimes though, you'd run into a dud that would only last 2-3 days so i always liked to have 4-5 stored away. I've a few friends I got using them though and one of them got 3 weeks out of a dcc, mainly because he was only using it in the evenings.
    with cartomisers it's important to keep them wet, you dont really want to vape them until they are dry and need a total refill. you fill them at the start, and then as the day goes by it's good practice to top up a little bit. it's not 100% neccesary, but I hardly ever did that which I think is why I had to bin so many of mine after a week.

i cant really answer about the juices tbh, it all depends on how much you are going to vape. all i can say is as a heavy vaper, when I used the dcc's I was using about 50ml a month. so 20-30ml oughta last you easily, and all the irish sites have next day delivery so when you find yourself running low just place an order before 2pm and you should have it in the next days post.

ha ha ha.........sorry that would be a good reason not to get that kit alright, had noticed it was on back order a few weeks ago and e-mailed asking when it would be back in stock but got no reply, feeling a bit dizzy headed this morning so never noticed it was still out of stock.

Ok, so everytime you change the cartomizer do you need to put a new drip tip on?? sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i do this right, or i'll end up binning the lot in frustration when i first run out of something.

• Advertisement

nah, you can swap drip tips between cartomisers. they just plug into the top, and you just pull them out if you want to switch between cartomisers for different flavours or if one has run its course and you want to start a new one.

dont worry about being frustrated when you get them. it'll be pretty confusing at first, you'll be wondering how much to fill.. how often to fill, or how often to change cartomisers etc etc
    thhese things will come to you after you've been vaping for a little bit and if there's anyting you're confused about you can just ask here

you might end up spending a little more than is strictly neccesary for the first couple of weeks, as you get the hang of everything but even with that you'll be saving money from the fags and once you get into the rythym of things you'll be getting by on a pretty steady (and low) expense.

well you should anyway, if you're like a few of us here once you start vaping you'll just start looking for new vaping related toys to spend money on :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

As Sir Digby has said above, the DCC's are the way to go.

I spent way too much money on replacement tanks, silicon caps, different attys for the tank system, to only realise once i'd used a DCC that the tanks are a waste of time, you'll spend 99% of your time trying to get them to stop leaking and wiping away excess juice, instead of enjoying your vape!

I'm using 2 1000mAh eGo batteries with DCC's, i got a cone from the bestshop so it looks a little less like a pen,
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/joye-ego-and-ego-t/spare-parts-for-joye-ego/atomizer-cover-for-joye-ego-ego-cone-/prod_136.html
    and i have a couple of different drip tips i can switch between aswell, but the cone and tips aren't really required.

If you are going for the drip tips, i have some acrylic ones but they are very thin, as they are a vase shape, some of them are fat, some are thin, a bit hit and miss.

I just this morning got some metal ones, and they are much better, but if you are vaping on the DCC for an extended period, they do heat up slightly, so it's just something bear in mind.

the tip isn't neccesarily "required" but personally I just feel like a right git wrapping my lips directly around the cartomiser, plus they can get pretty hot and uncomfortable if you're chain vaping.
    so 2 euro on a drip tip is preferable imo

I don't bother with the cone though, as I think the device looks pretty snazzy as is with the battery and dcc on top :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think a drip tip is definitely worth having, and I suppose it's personal preference but I prefer the plastic ones. I started with plastic and then tried aluminium, which i liked for a while, but I'm back using plastic now. I prefer the round ones to the flattened ones too, the flattened ones are ok but you end up having to line them up the right way all the time.

I'd give another vote for DCCs as well. They really seem like the easiest way to get started. Once you do get started you'll have a better idea of what works well for you and what compromises you're willing to make, and then you can decide to stick with them or try something else.

for a new user I would recommend an i-mist tank system. it's a tank system that works. easy to fill for a newbie.

http://www.irishvapers.ie/157-biansi-imist-ego-system.html

I've had it a week and no leaks. fires up every time straight off with great vapour and taste. also easy to change to new liquids as taste is cleared out in a puff or two.

• Advertisement

ok just about to place my order but just want to double check i'm not forgetting anything:

2 No. Joy eGo T Battery capacity 900 mAh
    5 No. Dual Coil LR XL Cartomizer
    1 No Fast USB Charge for Joye eGo
    1 No Mains to USB Adaptor
    5 No. Transparent Drip Tips
    2 No. 30ml Marlboro/USA Mix
    1 No. eGo carry case (non essential i know but i'll lose all the bits in my bag)

anything else needed to get started??

Just added 10ml dunhill deluxe juice to get the free postage

no one ever listens when I tell them to get a few 10ml botles to test juices out :(

also you dont need 5 drip tips.. 2 will do you, you only really need one but it's nice to have a spare in case you lose it.

that all looks good, just make sure you're getting 18 or 24mg strength of the juice and you're good to go, 12mg probably wouldn't satisfy you if you're just starting out.

tee hee sorry........i did listen, just want to get started first, cause i'd be like a child in a candy shop trying them all out at the same time. Once i'm set up then i could start playing ??? and i've only gone for the 24mg i badly need my nicotine :D

ok so maybe i'll take out 3 drip tips and add more juice?? definitely want the free postage ha ha!!

well the usa mix gets good reviews, been a while since I had it but I definitely enjoyed it so you should be good with it

that all looks good so :)

this video shows a nice easy way to fill the cartomizers for when you're starting out. when you get used to them, and get the feel for how much they can hold you can just drop juice directly into the top of them

starts at 1 minute in or so, you might have to do it 2 or 3, maybe more times for the first filling. youll know when it's soaked up enough when the juice just rises to the top of the cartomizer and just drops back into the little rubber sock. when it's full, just wipe it down with a tissue and leave it to sit for a few minutes so it can soak into the filler properly.

one thing just about everybody does with their cartomisers at first is overfill them, so dont worry about it if you're vaping at first and not getting a huge amount of vapour or a gurgling sound. it's possible you were unlucky and your very first carto was a dud, but it's more likely you just overfilled it. just keep vaping away and over time (not too long) it will use up the excess itself and you should notice a performance increase.

i presume i have to charge the battery when i first get it?? How long does this take?? think i saw on another thread that some people were putting on weight vaping am a bit concerned about this, i thought it was the nicotine in cigarrettes that increased your metabolism, so not sure why you would put on weight?? is it simply that food tastes better or what>

yeah you hasve to charge the batteries, dunno how long it should take. 1-2 hours, maybe less.
    well food does taste better once you quit smoking, your sense of smell and taste returns so there's that.. can't say I've noticed any weight gain though or heard many people talking about it.

One suggestion I'd make is to get a non-tobacco flavour or two as well. If you like minty things then menthol is always good, that's what I use most of the time. Caramel and coffee are both favourites of mine as well. Fruit flavours don't seem to be quite as nice as I'd like, but not bad either.

ok order finally placed thank you so much for your help and advice, changed the order slightly, so got 2 No. drip tips and added extra juice.

So went for 2 No. 30ml marloboro mix, 1 No. 10ml Dunhill, 1 No. 10ml strawberry & 1 no. 10ml dr pepper

anyone know what the chocolate is like?? was sorely tempted!!!

can't wait for my gear to arrive now, dunno when i was so excited about not "smoking" before ha ha.

the chocolate is ... ok from what I remember
    it has a lovely chocolate smell, but the actual chocolate flavour when you're vaping is kinda muted and it doesn't produce a huge amount of vapour.

if you're looking for good sweet/fruit juices check out http://enjuice.com/ they're pretty expensive compared to the dekang juices (chinese manufacturer) thebestshop has, but they're pretty damn nice.

the chocolate is ... ok from what I remember
    it has a lovely chocolate smell, but the actual chocolate flavour when you're vaping is kinda muted and it doesn't produce a huge amount of vapour.
    +1, I've tried the dekang chocolate. Flavour isn't great, it reminds me of the biscuit part of those bourbon creams when they've been sitting out a few days and have gone all soft. I found it very harsh and scratchy on my throat as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You're not going to regret going for the DCC's...thank yourself for not being as weak as me and ordering a tank system...such money wasted :)

The Juices really are personal preference, i much prefer the sweeter flavours compared to the tobacco ones, but again you might prefer the tobacco to the fruit flavours too! :)

eeloe wrote: »
    You're not going to regret going for the DCC's...thank yourself for not being as weak as me and ordering a tank system...such money wasted :)

having used both dcc's and a PROPER tank system - i.e. iMist much prefer the imist.

yeah you hasve to charge the batteries, dunno how long it should take. 1-2 hours, maybe less.
    well food does taste better once you quit smoking, your sense of smell and taste returns so there's that.. can't say I've noticed any weight gain though or heard many people talking about it.

nicotine suppresses appetite, like all stimulants, so you're still getting that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

glasso wrote: »
    having used both dcc's and a PROPER tank system - i.e. iMist much prefer the imist.

Actually, I agree. Leaking aside (which is an issue alright), the flavour and vapour of the eGo-C blows the DCC's away as well.

With most of these things I think each person can have a different preference. A working tank system is far superior in terms of flavour and vapour for my taste. But that's the conundrum I suppose - the tank systems are certainly more problematic.

Actually, I agree. Leaking aside (which is an issue alright), the flavour and vapour of the eGo-C blows the DCC's away as well.

With most of these things I think each person can have a different preference. A working tank system is far superior in terms of flavour and vapour for my taste. But that's the conundrum I suppose - the tank systems are certainly more problematic.

wasn't I advising you to give the iMist a shot - have not had one leak or any other problem in 10 days. still on first wick (of the 3 supplied). got who sells them was saying that he is still using the same attomiser after 3 months. replaceable coils coming in a week or two also - the cost of quality vaping will plummet!

glasso wrote: »
    wasn't I advising you to give the iMist a shot - have not had one leak or any other problem in 10 days. still on first wick (of the 3 supplied). got who sells them was saying that he is still using the same attomiser after 3 months. replaceable coils coming in a week or two also - the cost of quality vaping will plummet!

Yeah, you did. Unfortunately the atomisers have not been available from Irish or UK sites since then believe it or not. I dont need to buy the whole kit.

I bought an eGo-W while I'm waiting for them to restock the iMist and I'm very impressed with it though I must say.

Yeah, you did. Unfortunately the atomisers have not been available from Irish or UK sites since then believe it or not. I dont need to buy the whole kit.

I bought an eGo-W while I'm waiting for them to restock the iMist and I'm very impressed with it though I must say.

only bought the atty kit myself. the irishvapers guy watches this forum - he might let you know when they are back in stock.

if you ask to be emailed im sure he'll email you too, he's a helpful guy and good about responding quickly

if you ask to be emailed im sure he'll email you too, he's a helpful guy and good about responding quickly

I clicked on the notification thing on the website. It would be useful to know when it comes back in alright though. I have to say though, that based on how happy I am with the eGo-W, I'm not sure if it can be better. The only issue with the W is that I cant just clean the tank out and change flavours. You should try one. I think it's only 8.95 Euro or thereabouts so it would be interesting to see how it performs on your Lavatube.

• Advertisement

I am curious about a tank system like the egow or imist alright, but from what i've read they're not great at high volts. I'd like something similar but with a higher resistance, for 5v or higher vaping but I guess at the temps 5v+ runs at you'd be refilling the cartridges so often, it'd be pretty annoying and might not be worth their while making it.

Advertisement