Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Value for Money Camper?

• 07-02-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Looking for a camper, preferably something new-ish as I dont want problems and have kids so space is important, have seen this one http://www.eastcoastcampers.ie/08chausson.htm just wondering if you can give any advice on this make model and the asking price, mileage looks low enough for the year and compared to other 08 models it seems a good price? Any advice greatly received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Value for Money Camper?
    Looking for a camper, preferably something new-ish as I dont want problems and have kids so space is important, have seen this one http://www.eastcoastcampers.ie/08chausson.htm just wondering if you can give any advice on this make model and the asking price, mileage looks low enough for the year and compared to other 08 models it seems a good price? Any advice greatly received.

Asking price is ok, but you need a separate place for the kids to sit on a
    wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

cipro 55 wrote: »
    Value for Money Camper?

Asking price is ok, but you need a separate place for the kids to sit on a
    wet day.

What type of camper would have this?? Are you referring to an awning? I think this one has one? I've not seen a separate area before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Hello,

Is the Ford one not quite similar? I am new to all this but it looks quiet the same, is there a difference in the spec for that price?

The Fiat looks nice, we are only a family of 4 though so thought a 6 berth is ample, or am I going OTT? I would be hoping to spend around the €30 to €35k mark with a leaning on the €30k to be honest. Is there much play in the market at the moment? Or should I set my sights closer to 30k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Agree that you need space for the kids on a wet day

I had a "lone" of a vehicle for a week very very like East Coast are selling.....have to say that for us, if we had a wet day we were snookered.

Suggest that you get onto as many vans as you can (ie go to a couple of different retailers) and get a real good feel for the different layouts available. Perhaps at the end of the excercise you will come back to the van in East Coast but it would be an expensive mistake if you get it wrong

• Advertisement

Malta1 wrote: »
    Agree that you need space for the kids on a wet day

I had a "lone" of a vehicle for a week very very like East Coast are selling.....have to say that for us, if we had a wet day we were snookered.

Suggest that you get onto as many vans as you can (ie go to a couple of different retailers) and get a real good feel for the different layouts available. Perhaps at the end of the excercise you will come back to the van in East Coast but it would be an expensive mistake if you get it wrong

Hello, do they "lone" them out?? Or do you mean rent them? That could be handy before making your mind up!! I have been looking and never really noticed a seperate aren in many campers, or maybe my eye is untrained!! How seperate can they be in a camper anyway!! But I know what you mean, so there are some capmers with 2 seating areas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Nope.....As far as I know they dont "lone" but they do have some of the vans available for hire

It could be handy to rent before you buy!!:) Thanks for all your information, I guess i just thought it was a good price for a 08 6 berth, maybe the layout is the factor.
    Thanks

empty21 wrote: »
    Hello,

Is the Ford one not quite similar? I am new to all this but it looks quiet the same, is there a difference in the spec for that price?

The Fiat looks nice, we are only a family of 4 though so thought a 6 berth is ample, or am I going OTT? I would be hoping to spend around the €30 to €35k mark with a leaning on the €30k to be honest. Is there much play in the market at the moment? Or should I set my sights closer to 30k?
    its a higher spec.
    as some one has already mentioned extra seating so a table and seats with a small table across from the other seats or a table with a bench to sit on see picture for better examples
    2.jpg
    499_1.jpg

as well as that to consider if you do choose to get a smaller one where the children share a bed they wont be wanting to do that in a few years, bunks would be the handiest option as they are always ready made so if you pull up to a site late the children have a bed ready made and you dont have to go through the hassle of making beds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HereAndThere

With €30K to €35K to spend you really are in the driving seat.

You shouldn't have any trouble buying a good decent MH for that money.

Be aware though Newer does not always mean Better. I have read plenty an article on newer vans having alot more trouble than some of the older solid German models.

Like you I have kids and decided when buying my MH last year to go for fixed bunks. It is handy when arriving late at a site - No bed making needed.

Look at lots of vans before you buy and decide on the layout you want.

Then read as much info from this forum as you can aswell as other sources. Browse all the main dealers sites and look at what MHs they have and compare to ones that you have looked at elsewhere.

Before you know it you will have a MH with a certain layout in mind and then like any other purchase you can compare and contrast till you decide on one.

Best of luck.

Take a look at these dealers sites for ideas on MH types and prices.

http://www.pathoranmotors.com/

http://www.donagheymotorhomes.ie/

http://www.ballybrittasmotors.ie/

http://www.caramotorhomes.ie/

http://www.anchorpointmotorhomes.com/

http://www.maynoothmotorhomes.com/contentv3/

http://www.cmca.ie/

• Advertisement

You might like this one?

Ahorn are a German manufacturer and its relatively new 2006 with bunks?

http://www.campervansireland.com/motorhomedetails.php?id=28

What type of camper would have this?? Are you referring to an awning? I think this one has one? I've not seen a separate area before?

Something like this is what i mean, with a rear lounge and a dinette.

http://www.thompsonleisure.com/details.asp?CarID=2457&CarImg=5&Count=N&Type=u.

You might like this one?

Ahorn are a German manufacturer and its relatively new 2006 with bunks?

http://www.campervansireland.com/motorhomedetails.php?id=28

Thanks very much looks good alright I think I have a lot of research to do!!

cipro 55 wrote: »

Something like this is what i mean, with a rear lounge and a dinette.

http://www.thompsonleisure.com/details.asp?CarID=2457&CarImg=5&Count=N&Type=u.

Cheers thanks I have you now do any come with a U lounge and bunk beds? They would seem to be the ideal!! I'll have to keep looking. I guess a good deal may not always be what it seems!! Thanks for all the advice.

Cheers thanks I have you now do any come with a U lounge and bunk beds? They would seem to be the ideal!! I'll have to keep looking. I guess a good deal may not always be what it seems!! Thanks for all the advice.
    nope one or the other

nope one or the other

Typical!! Ok thanks everyone for your input I'll keep looking. Still though that year and price looks good but then maybe practicality is worth more...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

According to the link in the OP's post, there's a safari room included with that camper, so wet days with the kids shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Neonjack wrote: »
    According to the link in the OP's post, there's a safari room included with that camper, so wet days with the kids shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

This is true if you are parked up on a campsite, have gone to the hassle of setting up the safari room and have no intention of moving the camper for the next 12 - 24 hours (better hope you don't forget the milk). In other words safari rooms suit a mode of camping where you are happy to say in one location for a few days at a time.

IMO they are a waste of money, add too much weight and take up precious space in the garage. But horses for courses and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

WildWater wrote: »
    IMO they are a waste of money, add too much weight and take up precious space in the garage. But horses for courses and all that.
    have to agree about the safari room,my last 2 vans came with them i put the one from the first van up in the yard once to see how it was done and it never seen the light of day after that,the one on this van is in the garage at home as is not likely to be put back into the van any time soon,if some body made me a decent offer i would let it go,but if you had a few young kids im sure the extra space would be a god send

Would also agree - We have a drive away one but have only used it once on a campsite here in Ireland. It now resides in the attic.

And when I put it up the first time I managed to put it up insde out :eek:

As for the kids just get one of those all in one wet/rain suits and let them off.

Getting wet is all part of the fun of camping :D The best part being the shower afterwards.

• Advertisement

Neonjack wrote: »

It was an awning he mention.

I imagine it's better to have one than not? If you decide to go to European campsites it would be handy? And if you decided to stay somewhere for more than a day if not leave it in the garage??

Been looking online and the U lounge campers seem a lot more expensive ie 05 are similar in price to 08 one is that down to layout. From a depreciation point of view which holds its value better??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

I imagine it's better to have one than not? If you decide to go to European campsites it would be handy? And if you decided to stay somewhere for more than a day if not leave it in the garage??

Are you sure about that. Look at the size of it. Screenshot2012-02-10at185315.png If I was buying that I'd be looking for money off to pay for the disposal of the safari room (I jest but only just).

Been looking online and the U lounge campers seem a lot more expensive ie 05 are similar in price to 08 one is that down to layout. From a depreciation point of view which holds its value better??
    Are you comparing like with like as that doesn't sound right to me.

WildWater wrote: »

Are you sure about that. Look at the size of it. Screenshot2012-02-10at185315.png If I was buying that I'd be looking for money off to pay for the disposal of the safari room (I jest but only just)

I think I'm looking to camp in a place for a few days or so, so a safari tent appeals to me if I need milk well that's what kids or bikes are for!! I wouldn't see the point on moving constantly maybe just a different type of holiday in mind. The campers I have seen may not be exactly the same but I was searching for a while, online, before posting this thread, and layout aside, this looks like good value to me! But I have taken all advice onboard and it is making me have a rethink. That said I am tempted to take another look at it and see. The price is good the age is good, I do t want problems etc so I'll let you know how I get on!! Thank you all for the advice, greatly appreciate it, no harm in looking though!!

Advertisement