Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord requests & PRTB information retrieval

Options
  • 07-02-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

Our landlord has requested our PPS numbers (tenants) again even though we've already supplied them previously when we originally moved in. He's probably lost them but my questions are:
    1. Can we be registered as his tenants on the PRTB if he hasn't supplied our PPS numbers or does he even need them?
    2. Why are PPS numbers needed by landlords (is it purely for registration purposes)?
    3. How can I obtain previous information about who was registered at this rental address previously or is this possible at all?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

1. If you have a PPSN, then the landlord must include it on the registration form (see Form PRTB1). However there is a box the landlord can tick if:
      tenant has no PPSN or you [the landord] have made a reasonable effort to obtain it but it has not been provided
    2. To register you, as above. In order to be tax compliant, a landlord must register tenancies with the PRTB.
    3. No. Not legally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

rcdk1 wrote: »
    1. If you have a PPSN, then the landlord must include it on the registration form (see Form PRTB1). However there is a box the landlord can tick if:
    2. To register you, as above. In order to be tax compliant, a landlord must register tenancies with the PRTB.
    3. No. Not legally anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK, I understand now. So my landlord has either lost my PPSN or not even submitted that registration form from when we originally moved in (unless he ticked that box you mentioned on the PRTB registration form).

Is there anyway I can confirm when the landlord registered us tenants on the PRTB or is that confidential information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK, I understand now. So my landlord has either lost my PPSN or not even submitted that registration form from when we originally moved in (unless he ticked that box you mentioned on the PRTB registration form).

Is there anyway I can confirm when the landlord registered us tenants on the PRTB or is that confidential information?
    You can contact the PRTB. It's not really worth going to the PRTB website for tenancies registered as this is never up to date, and may well be months out of date.

The landlord has 1 month to register a tenancy after which time he may register the tenancy at any time but has to pay double the registration fee.

If the landlord has not registered your tenancy, it makes very little difference to you. However, it makes a great difference to the landlord. A landlord cannot make a claim or counter-claim against a tenant until he is registered. A tenant can always make a claim against a landlord whether he is registered or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

While you're not entitled to info about previous tenants, you're well within your rights to ask the PRTB about your own tenancy.
    "Contact us" page of PRTB website

When a tenancy is registered, the PRTB issue a letter to the tenant with the registration number etc. However, in my experience this can take months to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

You could just stop all the messing about and give the landlord your PPS number. What difference does it make? Send him a text with the number and get on with your life and let the landlord on with his business.

It's not as if he is going to use your PPS number to steal your identity

• Advertisement

odds_on wrote: »
    You can contact the PRTB. It's not really worth going to the PRTB website for tenancies registered as this is never up to date, and may well be months out of date.

The landlord has 1 month to register a tenancy after which time he may register the tenancy at any time but has to pay double the registration fee.

If the landlord has not registered your tenancy, it makes very little difference to you. However, it makes a great difference to the landlord. A landlord cannot make a claim or counter-claim against a tenant until he is registered. A tenant can always make a claim against a landlord whether he is registered or not.

Really? I didn't know the PRTB website was so bad and so infrequently updated.

That's interesting to note that my landlord will have to pay double the registration fee. My only concern is that he never registered us as tenants at all at the address at which we are renting at as we never received any written confirmation from the PRTB. But you do raise an interesting point about making a claim against a tenant as we have been raising issues for months now about how cold this apartment is (he didn't have a BER rating and when he was obliged by law to get it done after we requested it, it turned out to be an 'F'), how bad the storage heater was (it turned out to be broken and was replaced), how much the immersion was costing (it also turned out to be broken and had to be replaced). There's no shortage of issues he's ignoring such as moss on double-glazed windows and ancient appliances that don't work properly. He has lied and used various delay tactics which has directly impacted on us tenants.

I think you could have pin-pointed what he is attempting to do as we definitely intend to move out plus I may raise a dispute against him.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    While you're not entitled to info about previous tenants, you're well within your rights to ask the PRTB about your own tenancy.
    "Contact us" page of PRTB website

When a tenancy is registered, the PRTB issue a letter to the tenant with the registration number etc. However, in my experience this can take months to arrive.

That's helpful information to know as I do want to have information on our own tenancy since, as I mentioned previously, we're in this apartment now since November 2010 and have yet to receive any letter from the PRTB.

Uriel. wrote: »
    You could just stop all the messing about and give the landlord your PPS number. What difference does it make? Send him a text with the number and get on with your life and let the landlord on with his business.

It's not as if he is going to use your PPS number to steal your identity

As I've already mentioned, I have given the landlord my PPS number but I'm suspicious about his actions, don't trust him and don't particularly care about his needs since he's made it clear he doesn't care about ours. I only feel sorry for the next tenants that move in here and wish I could warn them by sharing my experiences with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Really? I didn't know the PRTB website was so bad and so infrequently updated.

That's interesting to note that my landlord will have to pay double the registration fee. My only concern is that he never registered us as tenants at all at the address at which we are renting at as we never received any written confirmation from the PRTB. But you do raise an interesting point about making a claim against a tenant as we have been raising issues for months now about how cold this apartment is (he didn't have a BER rating and when he was obliged by law to get it done after we requested it, it turned out to be an 'F'), how bad the storage heater was (it turned out to be broken and was replaced), how much the immersion was costing (it also turned out to be broken and had to be replaced). There's no shortage of issues he's ignoring such as moss on double-glazed windows and ancient appliances that don't work properly. He has lied and used various delay tactics which has directly impacted on us tenants.

I think you could have pin-pointed what he is attempting to do as we definitely intend to move out plus I may raise a dispute against him.

Have a read of the recent thread BER rating by noseyhole.

It is not the landlord's obligation to insulate his property (yet). However, he has to supply a heating system in each habitable room, How much it costs to heat is again not his responsibility.

You will find elsewhere in Accommodation & Property how to get the landlord to remedy any defects that are his obligation.

As regards moss on the windows, read this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056351823

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, 2 months after I moved into my apt I got a letter from the PTRB telling me that my landlord had registered my tenancy with them. It gave me a reference number to to quote if I ever had to communicate with them about the tenancy. If you did not get a similar letter, I imagine that he did not register you with them. Or he could have and the letter got lost in the post, or An Post did not know where to forward your post to when you moved. What about calling them up and asking if there is a tenant registered at your address?

Regarding the BER cert, a landlord can still register a tenancy with them without one. I didn't have one when I moved in & wasn't really bothered looking for one as my apt is ridiculously warm. However the landlord called me about a week after the letter arrived and said he was sending someone over to to a BER inspection. So I imagine he got a rap on the knuckles from the PRTB for not having one, but it didn't stop him from registering my tenancy in the first place.

• Advertisement

odds_on wrote: »
    Have a read of the recent thread BER rating by noseyhole.

It is not the landlord's obligation to insulate his property (yet). However, he has to supply a heating system in each habitable room, How much it costs to heat is again not his responsibility.

You will find elsewhere in Accommodation & Property how to get the landlord to remedy any defects that are his obligation.

As regards moss on the windows, read this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056351823

I did read the BER thread by noseyhole - excellent thread.

I know it's not the landlord's obligation to do anything to improve the BER which is why we are moving out and potentially bringing him to the small claims court thereafter, if there are any delays with deposit returns or witholding my deposit (or part of it) for any reason.

I have a record of most dealings with the landlord (via text, audio and in writing). I also have records of energy usage of old appliances etc in the apartment. I would like to warn any potential new tenants with this information as I know the landlord will try the same thing again but doubtful I'll be able to. I started recording and documenting when it became obvious the landlord was lying and dragging his feet on things such as the BER cert.

At this stage, I just want my full deposit back, I don't want to have to give the full 28 days notice (even though I know I'm legally obliged to) and want outta here.

Advertisement