Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Search is dead, long live the Search!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

I quite like the new search :p Will this mean less slowing down/errors?

That's the goal. Once we've removed the full text index from the post table the database servers will be much happier. Of course removing that index without downtime is going to be a challenge in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

the_syco wrote: »
    Ah, cool. Missed that function completely. I used the following string in Google:
    site:boards.ie "Originally Posted by the_syco" paint 2011 "motors"

Run that through Google for a non-public forum and see what it comes back with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

How do i find threads that I have posted on, which have been replied to with the new search?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

How do i find threads that I have posted on, which have been replied to with the new search?

How could you find it with the old search? It is yet another thing the "My Threads" feature is for, or thread subscriptions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

How could you find it with the old search? It is yet another thing the "My Threads" feature is for, or thread subscriptions

Think it was in advanced search "find posts by username"

Then it listed the threads you've posted in, with the threads with new post listed at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Less of a bug, more of a request: will someone be doing a "Cloud" theme for the search function and search results?

Then it listed the threads you've posted in, with the threads with new post listed at the top.

You shouldn't use search just to find out if a thread you made/posted on has new posts, that is what subscriptions/follows are for :)
    the_syco wrote: »
    Less of a bug, more of a request: will someone be doing a "Cloud" theme for the search function and search results?

There are no plans for UI theming/skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

This a million times. I used it daily until today. Still can't stand the new search. Is there no way to view results as threads instead of posts in the new search?
    You shouldn't use search just to find out if a thread you made/posted on has new posts, that is what subscriptions/follows are for

Guess we've no choice but to do it that way so......

Just need to the figure out the countless threads i kept an eye on.

Edit 2: When viewing followed threads, one old feature annoyingly missing is being able to either jump to the last unread post, or latest post, or the last page. Making it kinda pointless imo.

Edit 3: Actually i see i can do that stuff from the user cp, a place a rarely frequented before today. This is proving a painfull process! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If I subscribed to threads I'd have to spend an hour a day emptying my Inbox. I honestly don't know how anyone could handle that volume of crap in their mail. I just rely on my memory these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sentient_6 wrote: »
    This a million times. I used it daily until today. Still can't stand the new search. Is there no way to view results as threads instead of posts in the new search?
    To be fair, it is "threaded" to a certain degree as the posts are grouped by thread.

However it might be an idea to add expand/collapse functionality to the listing so that you can see a list of threads or threads and the associated posts. Very easy to do, too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

If I subscribed to threads I'd have to spend an hour a day emptying my Inbox. I honestly don't know how anyone could handle that volume of crap in their mail. I just rely on my memory these days.

Dav wrote: »
    The "Follow Thread" functionallity was set up for exactly this reason and you have the option to get an instant/daily/weekly email as well as no email. So any emails you get from it are entirely of your own choosing and are therefore, not spam. This is the pop-up you get when you click on the "Follow Thread" button:

191842.JPG

I'm only point thing out because 1) it's both unfair and wrong to label the site as a spammer when we clearly aren't and 2) the reason we had a lot of difficulty in getting news to people about their accounts post hack 2 years ago is that people who asked to be alerted via email about things were flagging it as spam when they didn't want to receive it anymore instead of changing their account settings to no longer receive it.

^^

Guess we've no choice but to do it that way so......

Just need to the figure out the countless threads i kept an eye on.

Edit 2: When viewing followed threads, one old feature annoyingly missing is being able to either jump to the last unread post, or latest post, or the last page. Making it kinda pointless imo.

Edit 3: Actually i see i can do that stuff from the user cp, a place a rarely frequented before today. This is proving a painfull process! :)

It's quite simple really, search should be used for searching. Not for keeping track of what posts you've made, threads you found interesting, etc.

It is the duplication of functionality all across vBulletin (Social Groups are essentially the same as private forums, visitor messages are just PMs posted in public etc) that is yet another core reason why we're moving away from it. People don't know where to start doing anything and people end up using something powerful (i.e. search) to do what 5000+ lines of code were wrote specifically to do i.e. (thread subscriptions/following).

We'd rather standarise what you're all doing than leave search open for one user to plug in "cat + dog" into the search box and take out the site. What use are your search results when you can't read the posts in them because you knocked out the site?

I just discovered if you go to edit options in the cp you can select to automatically subscribe/follow any thread you post in or start. Which will essestially do the same thing but from now on.

I just discovered if you go to edit options in the cp you can select to automatically subscribe/follow any thread you post in or start. Which will essestially do the same thing but from now on.

Which is exactly what I do. And periodically I'll remove old threads from the subscriptions :)

Which is exactly what I do. And periodically I'll remove old threads from the subscriptions :)

Thats cool so. My concern was removing the old search was removing a convenient way to track threads iv posted in.

Convenient, but inappropriate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Noooooo! :(

/ignores all tech speak and valid reasons simply because I don't like change!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There's four different options for thread email subscriptions, including "No email", and you could just use your User CP. Btw, with instant, you only only get one notification per boards visit, not per post. Or you could just set up rules in your email client to handle the incoming notifications, put them in there own folder.

Personally, I'm subscribed to ~1500 threads, all of which are "Instant" notification, and it's by far the best way to handle your own threads and posts

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I like new search. I have embraced it from day one. Man of progress, that's me.

One issue - Is the ability to 'search this thread' now defunct entirely or what? I can't do it with new search - simple or advanced. Little help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Can't search for who quoted me anymore. :(

• Advertisement

Can't search for who quoted me anymore. :(

The search for "who quoted me" is just a plain search with the query being your username. so on the new search just type in "Seomra Mushie" and you'll get the same results you would have.

strobe wrote: »
    I like new search. I have embraced it from day one. Man of progress, that's me.

One issue - Is the ability to 'search this thread' now defunct entirely or what? I can't do it with new search - simple or advanced. Little help?

It's defunct, for now. On the "must add to new search" list though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Sharrow wrote:
    Balls, there is less functionality with the new search.
    Yes this is BS!!!!

I cant find my threads as easily,etc.......... (I used to search for threads i posted in since my last visit.... This new one doesnt work IF YOU HAVE SCRIPTS DISABLED,etc)

THE SEARCH WAS WORKING ALL ALONG,WHY DISABLE IT????? (This server loads quite nicely even with it)

Not happy at all..... This was one of my FAVOURITE vbb sites!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Shield wrote: »
    EDIT: Was unaware that us Moderators would still have access to it for moderating purposes. This changes everything. I never used free text searching anyway.
    People might not see this amendment to my original post, so it's up above for all to see. I also have a few more thoughts on the issue, but rather than edit them in where they might be overlooked, I've added them to this post.

The new search function needs a lot of work for it to return accurate and relevant results to me so far. I have tried it a good few times and it has returned nothing even close to what I was looking for. I know that old search had to be turned off, but because new search is close to unusable, there must be a way to turn off free searching in old search and restore it, rather than switch to new search which simply doesn't work!

For example, is it possible to just remove the box that people would type in to? Or is it possible to just return a standard error message if that field is populated with any text?

Just a few suggestions that might not be too difficult to implement in old search while new search is being brought up to a useable standard.

I would really welcome its return without the keyword field there because lots of us used it for moderation (without ever having to use the keyword field).

Just saying...

People might not see this amendment to my original post, so it's up above for all to see. I also have a few more thoughts on the issue, but rather than edit them in where they might be overlooked, I've added them to this post.

The new search function needs a lot of work for it to return accurate and relevant results to me so far. I have tried it a good few times and it has returned nothing even close to what I was looking for. I know that old search had to be turned off, but because new search is close to unusable, there must be a way to turn off free searching in old search and restore it, rather than switch to new search which simply doesn't work!

For example, is it possible to just remove the box that people would type in to? Or is it possible to just return a standard error message if that field is populated with any text?

Just a few suggestions that might not be too difficult to implement in old search while new search is being brought up to a useable standard.

I would really welcome its return without the keyword field there because lots of us used it for moderation (without ever having to use the keyword field).

Just saying...

The total number of uses of everybody complaining about old search being gone is less than 200 queries over the last 2+ months. Nobody seems to have had any great attachment to it, the highest repeat offender for search had just 57 searches. Compare that to almost 750,000 searches on new search.

As a mod you have access to pretty much everything you had before, except direct access to the search page. In the interest of actually moving discussion on:

No, barring very exceptional circumstances, access to old search won't be coming back.

Yes, we are aware there are slight functional differences between the search systems and we'll aim to port over any lost functionality as soon as we can. The only two things I can identify that are missing is the ability to search for threads with posts > X and a tag search. What exactly do you need the old search page for? I'm nearly sure all other bases are covered with New Search's advanced mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The only two things I can identify that are missing is the ability to search for threads with posts > X and a tag search.
    And the ability to search in a specific thread. I still prefer the new search, but that is a bit of a gap

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    And the ability to search in a specific thread. I still prefer the new search, but that is a bit of a gap

On-thread searching was covered before by strobe, I've already said it's coming. Again, stats show it wasn't used that often, and yet could still hose the site. Uptime > "On-thread searching". Also, on-thread searching was not available from the search page, only from threads.

Re: following a thread - one of the things I love most about the beta skin is that when you set it to, "no notification" or whatever it is, you still get that little flashing icon to show when someone has posted in that thread. I always follow the threads I created myself.

I'm not even sure when I last used the search function properly - with my subbed list and followed threads, it makes it pretty easy to keep up to date.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The new search function needs a lot of work for it to return accurate and relevant results to me so far. I have tried it a good few times and it has returned nothing even close to what I was looking for.
    Yea ditto :confused: Then again I'm likely to be using it wrong. :)
    On-thread searching was covered before by strobe, I've already said it's coming.
    Good to hear D. I used it a fair amount in the past TBH. Again that's just me and usually for moddy stuff and since old search is still there for that purpose that's cool.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

No, barring very exceptional circumstances, access to old search won't be coming back.
    Well then most of us wont be coming back either as WE CANT FIND OUR THREADS!!!!!!!!!!

A very mean/rude/unprofessional thing to do TO JUST CUT PEOPLE OFF!!!!! (I thought only ppl in the USA were like this)

ALL THE TIMES I HAVE EVER COME HERE THIS SERVER WAS RESPONDING FINE WITH THE REGULAR SEARCH ACTIVE,@ NO TIME DID I HAVE SLOW DOWN!!!!

I always loved this site BECAUSE YOU GUYS DIDNT PUT VB4 ON HERE but now its pretty much worthless :( -- You mine as well put VB4 on here now,your starting the downward trend towards that now anyway!

Quite sad :(

The total number of uses of everybody complaining about old search being gone is less than 200 queries over the last 2+ months.
    Thats because YOU JUST DISABLED IT WHEN,YESTERDAY???

Advertisement