Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Search is dead, long live the Search!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

The search for "who quoted me" is just a plain search with the query being your username. so on the new search just type in "Seomra Mushie" and you'll get the same results you would have.
    It doesn't seem to work like that. Searching for Seomra Mushie only returns posts in which the person typed their name directly; it doesn't include posts that only contain a quoted post by Seomra Mushie.

I had the same experience with the new search which is why I always used old search when searching for who quoted me. I tried it with a couple of other user names and it doesn't always return posts quoting the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

A very mean/rude/unprofessional thing to do TO JUST CUT PEOPLE OFF!
    Not really. Sometimes you just need to make a clean break and get on with it. The new search has been in place for over a year now and most people appear to be having few issues with it. Its not as feature complete as the old search, but thats been acknowledged and plans in place to add back some of that missing functionality.
    ALL THE TIMES I HAVE EVER COME HERE THIS SERVER WAS RESPONDING FINE WITH THE REGULAR SEARCH ACTIVE,@ NO TIME DID I HAVE SLOW DOWN!
    You haven't been a member here very long. Its a lot better than it used to be, but if its still a problem its still a problem and frankly I'll trust the people charged with holding it up to tell me if its a problem or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Davidius wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to work like that. Searching for Seomra Mushie only returns posts in which the person typed their name directly; it doesn't include posts that only contain a quoted post by Seomra Mushie.

I had the same experience with the new search which is why I always used old search when searching for who quoted me. I tried it with a couple of other user names and it doesn't always return posts quoting the person.
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?q=%22Seomra+Mushie%22. 3rd result, a post quoting Seomra Mushie.

It's strange, if you search for "Seomra Mushie", you get 105 posts returned, including their quoted posts. If you search for Seomra Mushie (no quotes), you only get 6 results, where they all specifically contain the phrase in the text, rather than if they were quoted

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Smiley_thumbs-down_CBE9DAC5-E779-E085-BC1D5491A8DFB4E6.png

That's just crap. The 'search this thread' was my favourite search function on boards & now it's gone. Boards is becoming as bad as Facebook for making changes for the sake of making changes. "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

PWEI wrote: »
    That's just crap. The 'search this thread' was my favourite search function on boards & now it's gone. Boards is becoming as bad as Facebook for making changes for the sake of making changes. "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

It was "broke". That's the whole f'ing point. Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Smiley_thumbs-down_CBE9DAC5-E779-E085-BC1D5491A8DFB4E6.png

It was broke that's the problem, also your Facebook analogy isn't really comparing like with like, I wish we had the resources Facebook has but if we did I'd be sitting on my own island with a bottle of whiskey not giving a single ****. Sadly that's not the case :pac:

Actually can you enlighten us to the last time we've made a change for the sake of making a change? I have been quite involved in this site for 80% of its existence and every major decision I've seen has been seriously been put through its paces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

OK so it was a necessity to ensure a stable site, I should have read more of the thread before posting. I still thinks it's crap though that you can't search a thread & think its a backwards step. It was a very helpful tool especially searching huge threads. Take for example The Fantasy Football thread in the soccer forum. As there is no Fantasy Football sub-forum the FF thread is huge & it would take all day to read it on a Friday or Saturday. I used to always use the "search this thread" facility to find out the latest information on a player instead of reading through the pages & pages of posts.
    As for a change for the sake of making a change, how about the new the Thanks function. I don't see the point of it, brought in to stop people posting thanks or +1. If anything it's causing more random stupid posts from users trying to see how many thanks they can rack up by trying to be funny. If I ask a question and get & answer I'm satisfied with, I still reply with a "thanks" as it's bit more personal. Imho a good search facility is far more important than a thanks function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

(Social Groups are essentially the same as private forums,

No they aren't, and it's extremely disingenuous to even suggest it.

Social Groups are very hard to navigate, moderate and post in compared to a proper, full forum, private or otherwise.

It's annoying that a techie employed by Boards thinks this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Des wrote: »
    he meant technically (as in lines of duplicated code) as opposed to them being the same thing.

quoting without full context makes le baby jebus cry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

OK so it was a necessity to ensure a stable site, I should have read more of the thread before posting. I still thinks it's crap though that you can't search a thread & think its a backwards step. It was a very helpful tool especially searching huge threads. Take for example The Fantasy Football thread in the soccer forum. As there is no Fantasy Football sub-forum the FF thread is huge & it would take all day to read it on a Friday or Saturday. I used to always use the "search this thread" facility to find out the latest information on a player instead of reading through the pages & pages of posts.

I would rather take it out and keep the site online than leave it in for all the use it got, and we have the stats to back that up.

I have also said, several times, that this feature is coming back. You can either keep going on about how it's a backwards step and we can keep going around in circles here, or you can just leave it be.
    Des wrote: »
    No they aren't, and it's extremely disingenuous to even suggest it.

Social Groups are very hard to navigate, moderate and post in compared to a proper, full forum, private or otherwise.

Disingenuous? Do me a favour and drop the dramatics. There is a substantial part of the code base dedicated to social groups when really if you think about it, there is no need - Social Group Owners = forum mods, social group access control = forum access masks Social groups are in essence feature-deprived private hosted forums - a place for a subset of members to gather and post among themselves. Any of the popular ones ended up becoming private hosted forums, the others just linger around and have little to no activity.

It's annoying that a long time member such as yourself decided to skip over my meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so how are we suppose to search a thread for a specific post or keyword??

fryup wrote: »
    so how are we suppose to search a thread for a specific post or keyword??

If you're trolling, well played. If not, read the thread - it's been answered many times now, including in the post right above yours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

40 posts per page. CTRL + F. Type in the keyword. Repeat on all pages of that thread. /problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

40 posts per page. CTRL + F. Type in the keyword. Repeat on all pages of that thread. /problem
    In a 7,000+ post thread? I suppose you could create a GreaseMonkey script that would grab all ~200 pages, display them in one page and then use Ctrl+F. But all the extra requests might put a strain on the server, and then it becomes unstable, and then you're back to square one :p

Neil/Danny, any timeframe on in-thread searching? (Sorry, I'm sure you hate the "timeframe" question). Also, any response on this?
    28064212 wrote: »
    If you search for "Seomra Mushie", you get 105 posts returned, including their quoted posts. If you search for Seomra Mushie (no quotes), you only get 6 results, where they all specifically contain the phrase in the text, rather than if they were quoted
    Is that expected behaviour?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You should've just "crashed" the site for a few days, then "rescued" it by disabling search, then added new search a week later. Everyone would love you and appreciate the effort then.

:pac:

In a 7,000+ post thread?

Anyone with a genuine interest in a thread that large would more than likely be following it fairly regularly, revisiting the thread at advancing stages, and therefore unlikely to be searching all 175 pages in one go. :) It's not a perfect solution, I know, but it should help with most queries until the new Search Thread option comes on-line.

In a 7,000+ post thread? I suppose you could create a GreaseMonkey script that would grab all ~200 pages, display them in one page and then use Ctrl+F. But all the extra requests might put a strain on the server, and then it becomes unstable, and then you're back to square one :p

Neil/Danny, any timeframe on in-thread searching? (Sorry, I'm sure you hate the "timeframe" question).

No nailed down timeframe I'm afraid but I know that the thread ID data is in search already, so I don't believe it will be that difficult to restrict search results to a particular thread. Then it's a matter of latching the search box on threads into the new search.
    Is that expected behaviour?

Nope, we're looking into it.
    You should've just "crashed" the site for a few days, then "rescued" it by disabling search, then added new search a week later. Everyone would love you and appreciate the effort then.

:pac:

Any change in the future will be done this way.

1301465957746.png

Good news everyone :D

We'll have that search-in-thread box hooked up to new search early next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Good news everyone :D

I read that in the Professor's voice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Can I just add, we've been telling people for over a year that old search was going away and why, so these pretty wild claims that we've just decided to suddenly switch it off for no reason are simply untrue.

We've been tweaking the functionallity of New Search based on feedback over the last year or so and will continue to do so - this is a fairly substantial and tricky piece of software to get 100% - just ask Google to tell you how they do it and they'll laugh at you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I actually think it's fine. It's come on a lot since it was first launched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Thank you Dav,Danny,Neil and Nicola for all your hard work on this free site. Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Davidius wrote: »

When I first tried what he said, it DID return posts in which I was quoted. But now when I try it, it just return ones like you said, where my name is typed directly. :confused:

And that includes when I put my name in inverted commas.

Capitalisation is important, use a capital S and M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Des wrote:
    It is NO SURPRISE though.... People taking GOOD THINGS and making them worse....

Im not gonna say anymore on the matter.... I dont want VB4 put on here THEN IT WILL BE BAD HERE!! (And i dont wanna lose this place)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Glad the in-thread search will make a comeback. I like the new search, but this would have been a big miss from the old one for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Christ on a stick, the dramatics and twisted panties would make the cast of any teenage soap go "Ah now, that's a bit much".

This is deployed now. Searches via the search in thread box will ship you over to the new search.

While the way the results are presented isn't exactly optimised for searching a particular thread and is geared more towards searching the site/a forum it's a marked improvement on the inability to search a thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is deployed now. Searches via the search in thread box will ship you over to the new search.

While the way the results are presented isn't exactly optimised for searching a particular thread and is geared more towards searching the site/a forum it's a marked improvement on the inability to search a thread :)

Is there any way of searching a for a user's posts in a thread?

• Advertisement

Is there any way of searching a for a user's posts in a thread?

No, and as far as I can see there was no way to do it before either - please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Advertisement