Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia belle officially released.

Options
  • 07-02-2012 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Should be able to install via nokia suite from today

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Would that be for sim-free / generic EU models or Irish models as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Mine is sim free and it's available now. I think I saw somewhere that o2 had preapproved the update. I don't actually know about the others. It doesn't show up as ota update, you need to use nokia suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Yep...got it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭kirving

I wish Meteor would be a bit quicker with their updates, but Nokia should really have a more unified system.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Just got it there, but can't find my outlook mail on the phone now, can anyone tell me how to get it back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

I have a sim-free N8 bought off Amazon a few months ago. Anyway, was on Symbian Anna version and did a bit of googling to see what Belle was going to give me in addition to what I already had...couldn't see a whole lot, but anyway, decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to Belle...I have to say, I wasn't impressed....a mail widget that takes up half a screen leaving no room for much else, a clock design that can't be changed, not even to analogue...only option is delete or have it! Also, the mail widget allows scrolling of mails within the widget, which sounds good, but it stays in the previously scrolled position you last left it even after locking/unlocking so if a new mail arrives, you can't see it unless you scroll down. Seems to be a lot of messaging options gone too for some reason i.e. re: folders etc..don't know why. The ringtones have been replaced too and not for the better in my opinion! Oh yes, the new messages notification section on Symbian Anna isn't available any longer on Belle i.e. you get the old "1 New Message Received" pop up instead like you did on your 6230 from years ago!! Don't think this is changeable with Belle!

And I've just read that the Weather widget displaying 5 days weather across the screen below the clock ISN'T AVAILABLE either!! Nokia decided to scrap it before the release! To quote Nokia Conversations website => "Unfortunately, the weather widget is not available on Nokia Belle as it was a concept that was in the end not included in the final software version."

Some of the features are nice, but to be honest I prefer the Symbian Anna version I had, so I went back to the original Symbian Anna (I won't discuss here how, but it is possible with some googling, and warranty still valid! :-) )

I just feel that Belle is trying too hard to be android when it isn't. Anna is a proper Symbian version and nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Maybe at some stage they'll update Belle to fix these "issues" so I'll wait until then before I make the jump.

(correct me if I'm wrong on any of this - I'll gladly eat my words)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

I've just upgraded to Belle too and hate it. Can you point me in the right direction on how to get back to Anna?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Philip42 wrote: »
    I have a sim-free N8 bought off Amazon a few months ago. Anyway, was on Symbian Anna version and did a bit of googling to see what Belle was going to give me in addition to what I already had...couldn't see a whole lot, but anyway, decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to Belle...I have to say, I wasn't impressed....a mail widget that takes up half a screen leaving no room for much else, a clock design that can't be changed, not even to analogue...only option is delete or have it! Also, the mail widget allows scrolling of mails within the widget, which sounds good, but it stays in the previously scrolled position you last left it even after locking/unlocking so if a new mail arrives, you can't see it unless you scroll down. Seems to be a lot of messaging options gone too for some reason i.e. re: folders etc..don't know why. The ringtones have been replaced too and not for the better in my opinion! Oh yes, the new messages notification section on Symbian Anna isn't available any longer on Belle i.e. you get the old "1 New Message Received" pop up instead like you did on your 6230 from years ago!! Don't think this is changeable with Belle!

And I've just read that the Weather widget displaying 5 days weather across the screen below the clock ISN'T AVAILABLE either!! Nokia decided to scrap it before the release! To quote Nokia Conversations website => "Unfortunately, the weather widget is not available on Nokia Belle as it was a concept that was in the end not included in the final software version."

Some of the features are nice, but to be honest I prefer the Symbian Anna version I had, so I went back to the original Symbian Anna (I won't discuss here how, but it is possible with some googling, and warranty still valid! :-) )

I just feel that Belle is trying too hard to be android when it isn't. Anna is a proper Symbian version and nothing wrong with it in my opinion.

Maybe at some stage they'll update Belle to fix these "issues" so I'll wait until then before I make the jump.

(correct me if I'm wrong on any of this - I'll gladly eat my words)

You can now have up to 6 homescreens, there's plenty of room. As I recall, plenty were complaining about the more limited mail widget in Anna. At any homescreen, Options --> Add another homescreen.

There's a separate analogue clock widget, press options (now 3 horizontal bars icon in toolbar) on a homescreen, scroll through widgets to "Clock, analogue".

Folders are still there afaik. Messaging --> press Options (once again, three horizontal bars icon) --> View Folders --> My Folders --> press Options again.

You're not the only one who feels this way. There will be Anna ringtones somewhere soon enough, people usually upload an archive of older tones. Don't think I can link to them though.

Slide down the notification bar for notifications, like Android.

I'm going to stick with Belle. There are enough under-the-hood improvements e.g. memory management, camera to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

mrs aol wrote: »
    I've just upgraded to Belle too and hate it. Can you point me in the right direction on how to get back to Anna?

Hi there,

I'm not sure I'm allowed to go into stuff like that here, but it's kind of irrelevant now as I'll explain. I think I broke out the champagne too soon as it turns out. Everything was going fine, until I realised I couldn't get a data/wifi connection of any kind for love nor money. After much searching it seemed I'd hit a brick wall, so I bit the bullet and put Belle back on the phone via Ovi Suite, so everything's back to the way it was - supposedly this is the only way to resolve this data issue. I'm coming around to Belle, although most of what I stated before I still don't like.

I might have another go at downgrading back to Anna over the weekend, and if I do I'll let you know.

I know what you're saying - I'm not the only one saying this, but I suppose it comes down to not liking the whole change thing! Granted it is a more polished interface and a few of the functions are nice to have. I get your point about the number of homescreens, but as somebody said somewhere else, with the previous mail widget it was possible to squeeze a lot more onto each screen so there wasn't the need for much more than 3.

Anyway, thanks for replying with your opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I've noticed a few differences between belle and delight belle that are annoying me. I installed delight v3.06 and was happy with it. Obviously it was very similar to official belle but there were a few differences.
    Scrolling was continuous, one flick if the finger and the contacts page or songs or whatever would keep scrolling to the end. Not anymore. There was an option to restart the phone in the options listed when the on off button is short pressed. that's gone too. I assumed there'd be split screen for texting, calender entry etc which anna had. There are other things too that seem like backward steps to me.
    Are there solutions to these issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Belle Released for the Nokia N8 on THREE NETWORK Today ;) :cool:

Advertisement