Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Dirt Problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

If the dogs are German shepard's then they are a restricted breed and not allowed out in a public place unless on a short lead and muzzled..
    Control of dog.

5. A person shall not permit a dog to which these Regulations apply to be in a public place unless such dog is being led by means of a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding one metre in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.

Muzzling.

6. A person shall not permit a dog to which these Regulations apply to be in a public place unless such dog is securely muzzled.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1991/en/si/0123.html

Just be aware that if you do report him then there is a chance that the dog's could be taken and put down, As a German Shepard owner myself I don't think it would be fair on the dogs to be punished for the owners stupidity.

Try asking a local garda to have a word with him about his dog control or get a copy of the Restricted breeds act and post in his letterbox as a reminder on how its his responsibility to control his dogs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi & thanks for your ideas. I have taken them on board. I am genuinely afraid of this guy, nervous to even post about it in case of any 'retribution'.
    I am an animal lover, and would hate to be responsible for any dog being put down.
    Last time I had dealings with the dog warden the animal (a 1 year old golden lab) was going to be pts by the owners because of its barking. Luckily got a friend with a farm to take him the night before his vets appt. I don't want any trouble, like getting in touch with the warden last time got me into. ( a big row with neighbours about a year of constant barking by their dog, who was out the back confined to a 6x 4 brick uncovered 'house' and literally went mental with the boredom.)
    I would be afraid to go near his letterbox, he is there all day.
    Never thought of ringing the gardai to 'have a word', thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

JCabot wrote: »
    I live in a little town where a serial crapper operates, many an evening I would step out of my office door to put my foot in a load left in center of the pavement. Only months after I moved did I finally indentified the culpriit with his jack russel. It doesn't bother me much anymore and hes well connected in the council offices so not sure what I can do about.

Was it him or the dog??????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Have been in bed after a serious dental procedure the past 3 days so have not followed up with dog warden etc. I'm going to now though.
    Last night the issue with these dogs really got to me. My 16 y.o. son was just checking the back gate & bins before going to bed, and while in the thin dividing alley between houses one of these huge dogs bounded up at him, i heard the yelp out of him from my bedroom and ran down thinking someone had attacked him. He was a bit shaken up after it.
    I think these dogs are just an accident waiting to happen. The run amok and i know other neighbours on the road are elderly, or have toddlers , and might be a bit nervous of saying anything due to the owners demeanour.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

muppet01 wrote: »
    Was it him or the dog??????????????

Oh it his dog and he is still doing it but now has 2 little scuts.

Honestly its not worth the hassel complaining to the council about him and if I ever did my life could become difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Wasnt in D15 but not far, where i work. I saw a man walking by with a dog and he threw a small bag into the lawn i assumed it was an old roll or somthing. Thought to myself liter lout and nothing more.
    I had to cut the lawn a few days later.

Fair play to him he had picked up his dog crap... but had thrown the bag of chowder onto the lawn of where i work. lol
    Cheers Mister:rolleyes:
    see no evil :)

ronan45 wrote: »
    Wasnt in D15 but not far, where i work. I saw a man walking by with a dog and he threw a small bag into the lawn i assumed it was an old roll or somthing. Thought to myself liter lout and nothing more.
    I had to cut the lawn a few days later.

Fair play to him he had picked up his dog crap... but had thrown the bag of chowder onto the lawn of where i work. lol
    Cheers Mister:rolleyes:
    see no evil :)

Most people who bother to pick up there dogs crap would put it in a bin if provided. I can understand him not wanting to carry it around with him for however long he is out so real problem is what does he do with it when collected. The council need to provide more public bins for this type of thing.

Heard a report today about how dirty it was on the approch roads to dublin airport and again its the same thing no bins provided. So apart from bringing rubbish home where exactly is it left. I live in rural Cork and we have a recycle center which you pay to enter and pay by weight for rubbish. Yet any evening when you look around the country side you see people burning rubbish because they are to mean to pay the charges to get rid of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 180 ✭✭markas

Dog owner all life, so I might be biased :)
    Lack of BINS is the problem not that dogs do poo.
    In most places there is much more human waste (paper/foil wrappings, cans, bottles, including boken glass, full bags of household refuse!, etc..) than dogs poo. I know this is not the topic, but having a blind eye on the bigger problem will not help.
    Where should I ask about possibillity of mounting a waste bin near a gate? I can volunteer to emply it myself, but installing one requires a permission I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

You're going to deny your kids the joy of owning a dog because you're afraid of a little dog poop?

:rolleyes:

I agree: some dog owners are selfish and irresponsible but that's no reason not to have a dog yourself.

Nonetheless, when it comes to those selfish, irresponsible owners it's worth mentioning that dog fouling (as the council politely puts it) is a particular health hazard for children. Fingal's website mentions this:
    Dog fouling in public places is the biggest public nuisance created by irresponsible dog owners. It is noxious, dangerous and a source of diseases to humans including Toxocariasis (blindness in children) and Campylobacter (acute gastroenteritis).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

markas wrote: »
    Dog owner all life, so I might be biased :)
    Lack of BINS is the problem not that dogs do poo.
    In most places there is much more human waste (paper/foil wrappings, cans, bottles, including boken glass, full bags of household refuse!, etc..) than dogs poo. I know this is not the topic, but having a blind eye on the bigger problem will not help.
    Where should I ask about possibillity of mounting a waste bin near a gate? I can volunteer to emply it myself, but installing one requires a permission I guess.

What I would find useful rather then a bin on a gate is a box with plastic bags attached to peoples gates (if they were so inclined).

I pick up after my dog but I have forgotten to bring a bag with me occasionally. I have had to make do with things like a crisp bag I found on the ground or a piece of paper I found in my bag.

Where I used to live a neighbour did this and he always had spare plastic bags in a box on his gate - I think it would be very handy if you were caught short. It might also nudge people in the right direction to pick up if you have a lot of people in your area who don't pick up.

Just a thought.....

• Advertisement

What I would find useful rather then a bin on a gate is a box with plastic bags attached to peoples gates (if they were so inclined).

Just a thought.....

yes, that is an option for some, but since I have a distance to walk/drive to the secluded places ;) ...having a box outside or inside the home does not help much

I m thinking of these dog owners who do pick up the thing but drop it- with the bag of course, what makes thing worse, more permanent - just outside the park gates. I do not understand the rationale behind it, but I assume they would use a bin if it was there. I came to conclusion that the reason why there is no liiter bins in public places in general because of the costs involved in empying them. But thats rather stupid reason.. but what else?

yes, that is an option for some, but since I have a distance to walk/drive to the secluded places ;) ...having a box outside or inside the home does not help much

I m thinking of these dog owners who do pick up the thing but drop it- with the bag of course, what makes thing worse, more permanent - just outside the park gates. I do not understand the rationale behind it, but I assume they would use a bin if it was there. I came to conclusion that the reason why there is no liiter bins in public places in general because of the costs involved in empying them. But thats rather stupid reason.. but what else?

Having traveled a fair bit in France one notices how clean it really is compared to Ireland. The French take pride in there country and as a tourist there is always plenty of places to dispose of litter. They also have dogs everywhere and dont have as big a dog poo issue as we do.

I believe the main issue is the lack of bins provided what is the big issue with providing them? Some of the motorway rest stops in France provide skips. Is it the councils believe we will use the public bins for household waste ? Again you whould have to say why is this ? Is it because people feel they are over charged for the services provided already.

I know it appears I have gone off the subject but certaintly if bins were more available the dog poo issue would be less. As for the litter maybe we should be looking at the source of it and going after the manufactures of disposed litter. Whoevers name is on the packaging is responsible for its disposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

... I came to conclusion that the reason why there is no liiter bins in public places in general because of the costs involved in empying them. But thats rather stupid reason.. but what else?

Pay as you go bins...

JCabot wrote: »
    Having traveled a fair bit in France one notices how clean it really is compared to Ireland.

Yes, it is possible in other countries, not only in France (probably more pet friendly then others, btw).
    It is a matter of regulations.. but first of all - of a culture.
    And here we have two problems - careless attitute of dog owners (not different from general attidute to spoiling/vandalizing of public spaces), and lack of effective civil services (probably resulting from the first. who cares..)
    Pushing resposibility to caring the least... how can it work

Lack of bins isn't the problem. Its the owners responsibility as part of looking after a dog, is to clean up after them.

How you can compare using the pavement as a toliet with rubbish beyond me. Not that littering isn't a big problem aswell, but its a completely different issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Many years ago when I lived in the City, I was lucky enough to have a lawn. Kept finding huge Turds every morning, even though I had a gate on the front. Watched out one night and saw this guy open our gate whilst his Doberman took a huge crap on my lawn. So followed him back to his house to see where he lived. Came back home loaded the turd in a brown envelope with the message 'You left this at my house' on it and posted it through the f**kers post box. Never saw him again.

On another note dog crap is all over Ireland in Towns and Cities. Cork was the worse and yes, people where actually walking in it then walking into shops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I'm more concerned with the broken bottles than with the dog poo.

BostonB wrote: »
    Lack of bins isn't the problem. Its the owners responsibility as part of looking after a dog, is to clean up after them.

How you can compare using the pavement as a toliet with rubbish beyond me. Not that littering isn't a big problem aswell, but its a completely different issue.

Well such attitude to rubbish problem is exactly what's beyond me :)
    And I see a connection - if a young person is taught that some crisp bags, and later beer cans, cannot do any harm, how can they think a small poo can

Lack of litter bins in Ireland is a problem, sir! :)

Exactly what attitude to rubbish? I said it was a problem. But a kid standing on a crisp bag and walking into your car carpet isn't the same scale of problem is it.

On our local green they couldn't keep up with the amount of rubbish going into the bin (and the overflow being dumped all over) and they removed the bins. The green has less litter on it though. If they don't have the resources what are they meant to do. Use Magic to create bins and service them? But in general the problem isn't bins. Its people having the social responsibility to bring their crud home.

nomesc wrote: »
    Anyone else fed up with the amount of dog dirt around. Can't go for a walk without telling the children "watch out for the poo" every couple of minutes. Anyone know if there is anything that can be done. Problem is really bad in Littlepace. Please dog owners clean up after your dogs

+1 its a real pain everywhere. But especially in the suburbs.

• Advertisement

Exactly what attitude to rubbish? I said it was a problem. But a kid standing on a crisp bag and walking into your car carpet isn't the same scale of problem is it.

On our local green they couldn't keep up with the amount of rubbish going into the bin (and the overflow being dumped all over) and they removed the bins. The green has less litter on it though. If they don't have the resources what are they meant to do. Use Magic to create bins and service them? But in general the problem isn't bins. Its people having the social responsibility to bring their crud home.

Ok, That is kind of explanation. Thank you.
    And this is exacly what I think is wrong - a public bin is for household waste.

No public bin? - the rubbish lands in the grass/river. No, it is not collected at all, and that's why it is cheaper, not because it is not there.

Expecting that irresponsible people became more responsible if they cannot dispose properly in public places is ... kind of rubbish.

Dog dirt is a part of bigger problem of how we treat public places. How it functions here is ineffective.

But I have seen even somewhere in Dubllin (cant recall exactly where) small boxes placed along the path - that may work at minimum cost of maintaining - too small and to far from the road to dispose household refuse, and cheaper to empty than picking rubbish along the paths.

There is a difference between fly tipping and people dropping rubbish as they walk. ditto letting your dog dump on the pavement outside a school. The solution is on the spot fines and more Garda on the beat.

There is a difference between fly tipping and people dropping rubbish as they walk. ditto letting your dog dump on the pavement outside a school. The solution is on the spot fines and more Garda on the beat.

So why it is not implemented?
    Is it not too epensive/unrealistic?
    Threating by fines is obviously ineffective'

I am thinking about a small scale solution, which I could possibly implement for my own convinience, rather than expect that things will change just because they _should_ I think such expectation is part of the problem. ;)

Lack of enforcement, lack of political will to drive issues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

So we need laws and enforcement to do what should be a basic civilized behaviour?

"it's the politicians fault"

"we need more gardai"

"people should be reporting it"

Good grief.

So we need laws and enforcement to do what should be a basic civilized behaviour?...

How did you think it worked?
    "It has been said that civilization is twenty-four hours and two meals away from barbarism."
    from Good Omens, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

I guess I still have some , possibly misguided, faith in humanity. I'll hang on to it for dear life but ... I dunno some days I wonder.

Maybe the dolphins are right.

I guess I still have some , possibly misguided, faith in humanity. I'll hang on to it for dear life but ... I dunno some days I wonder.

Maybe the dolphins are right.

Wonder where dolphins do it - Ah, yes - like people - to the sea :p

I uderstand where you come from, but I would rather take dogs side when it comes to environmental hygine... ;)

But I tell you what I will do - from now on I will be waving my plastic bag, with its contents of course, for the view of other dog owners as a subtle reminder. (I have no balls to confront them more directly, tbh.)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I mailed customerservices@dublincity.ie before on this issue in anther area.

This is the answer I received:
    "Dublin City Council’s dog warden service can conduct Patrols of the area in question. The Wardens will seize and impound any stray or unaccompanied dogs which may be contributing to the problem. In order to target our resources effectively we would be grateful if you could let us If you are aware of any particular dogs or owners which may be responsible for this nuisance or if there is a pattern of offence in terms of times when unaccompanied dogs are let out in the area."

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement