Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woman hurt by poster settles claim against FF

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

All we know is that she got somewhere between €6,500 and €38,000 - and probably far closer to the €6,500 than the €38,000! The piece in the paper tries to make you think that she got €38,000 by the way it is phrased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

We should all join together in wishing her the worst possible luck with her money.

If she had been genuinely injured then i wouldnt have any problem with it but its safe to assume that she wasnt and probably walked into the poster on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

All we know is that she got somewhere between €6,500 and €38,000 - and probably far closer to the €6,500 than the €38,000! The piece in the paper tries to make you think that she got €38,000 by the way it is phrased.

Either way, she got too much. Nobody with a child called Nikita should get anything, other than a slap in the chops. Preferably with an election poster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you were having a party and somehow someone brought her along would you ask her to leave knowing that she claimed in court for something pretty silly like this?

It would be in your house, you don't know her, and in turn she doesn't know you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

She did exactly the same thing with the sign as hordes of voters did down through the years did when they believed Fianna Fail and voted for them: she walked into it.:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

TheZohan wrote: »
    That's more of a Devon accent...

It's quite hard to write in an accent. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You see a lot of claims in around €38,000
    Well the ones I've seen are mainly against Dublin Bus

That figure is a cut-off for the circuit court, any higher and you go to high court and legal fees are waaaaaaay higher

Hate FF but this women looks a chancer. It'd didn't blow in the wind and strike her, she walked into it
    Nikita? I suppose the other daughter is Chantelle

This is because the limit of the circuit court as you rightly state is €38,000 and this is always the amount claimed - if the case is assessed by a Judge then it is for the Judge to apply a lower amount.

Generally (as in this case) the case is settled by negotiation rather than Judges decision and the actual amount will not be disclosed - therefore papers simply latch onto the fact that €38,000 was claimed.

It is hugely unlikely that the Circuit would award €38,000 and if anyone genuinely had a claim at this level they would issue High Court proceedings.

It is typically lazy and poorly informed journalism.

That aside the fact that this woman got anything is incredible - how many people must have walked past that sign without incident. Given that the case started before being settled probably indicates the representatives of the Poster Company (FF paid for Executive Posters to put these up and really it is they who would carry the liability but FF makes better headlines) thought they could win the case but after hearing evidence changed their minds.

The legal system stacked in favour of claimants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

CamperMan wrote: »

Oh.Dear.Lord.
    Fair enough poster prob should have been up higher, But for not looking where you are going and walking into something and getting a bit of a scrape on the head 38 grand. thats beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I can't wait for the next elections. I'm gonna be rich!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

CamperMan wrote: »
    €38,000 .. no wonder she is smiling!
    Is she? I thought it was wind. Either that or she was saying "ehhhhhhhh"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

She was probably the only person in Ireland to gain anything out of the Lisbon Referendum.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

legally the posters are meant to be higher than head height, so I think this woman was perfectly within her rights to sue. The judge could have thrown the case out like. I don't care if she's common or filthy rich, the only thing Fianna Fail understands is money ad maybe they'll cop onto themselves re these posters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

phasers wrote: »
    legally the posters are meant to be higher than head height, so I think this woman was perfectly within her rights to sue. The judge could have thrown the case out like. I don't care if she's common or filthy rich, the only thing Fianna Fail understands is money ad maybe they'll cop onto themselves re these posters.

Wasn't there a recent thread mentioning there was a "elect me" presidents poster (Mary whatshername) still up somewhere?
    I'm off to find it so I can knock me head too off it! I'll race ya all! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Biggins wrote: »
    Wasn't there a recent thread mentioning there was a "elect me" presidents poster (Mary whatshername) still up somewhere?

If it's Mary Davis you're referring to, there's two of her posters still up on the Caragh Road around Naas, knock yourself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Biggins wrote: »

If it's Mary Davis you're referring to, there's two of her posters still up on the Caragh Road around Naas, knock yourself out.

Don't knock them down, though - make her pay the fine too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Isn't the fine for not taking down election posters, calculated per day?

We should wait a bit longer :D

Edit: The fine is €150 if the posters aren't taken down 7 days after the election. Bollox.

Lumbo wrote: »
    Liam Byrne wrote: »

Isn't the fine for not taking down election posters, calculated per day?

We should wait a bit longer :D

Mary probably reckons she's a Special Kase (gets coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭V Eight

Lets get this economy going again!

Next election everyone start headbanging posters!
    €38,000 for every claim back into the economy :rolleyes:

€38,000 x 3,000,000 claims = €114,000,000,000
    then spend spend spend............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

phasers wrote: »

all well and good but what if a midget erected those signs?? to him that would have been higher than his head height!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SOSTECH

Guys what's with all the personal and degrotary statements, you don't know that woman yet you blast her out of it Because she is from the north side???

You also make comments regarding her daughter - does this make you feel big??

I really think some people here need to grow up as you could make life a living hell for that woman's daughter if somebody happens to read this from where she goes to school or have you been oblivious to bullying in the past.

Also @mslaura ur statements should be removed as this is a generalisation and personally I find that a disgusting comment!! You really need to grow up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Fair play to her. This might teach all parties to abide by the rules. These rules should also apply to those who stand with posters on Grafton Street as they are too low.

Also all tietags should be taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

SOSTECH wrote: »
    Guys what's with all the personal and degrotary statements, you don't know that woman yet you blast her out of it Because she is from the north side???

You also make comments regarding her daughter - does this make you feel big??

I really think some people here need to grow up as you could make life a living hell for that woman's daughter if somebody happens to read this from where she goes to school or have you been oblivious to bullying in the past.

Also @mslaura ur statements should be removed as this is a generalisation and personally I find that a disgusting comment!! You really need to grow up!

It's on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

ffs is there no such thing as personal responsibility anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

soft tissue is the biggest loads of bollox...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SOSTECH

Brendog wrote: »
    soft tissue is the biggest loads of bollox...

Again how do you know it's bollox? Or is that another assumption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I can't wait for the next elections. I'm gonna be rich!!

Be sure to pick your party, you'd hardly want to take on SF?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

€38,000?
    For hitting her head off a cardboard poster? :pac:

This is why i hate the legal system but especially solicitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

she and her daughter, Nikita, had just left a McDonald's restaurant

I would in my fcuk give her 38 grand for walking into a fcukin poster.

whatsamsn wrote: »
    €38,000?
    For hitting her head off a cardboard poster? :pac:

This is why i hate the legal system but especially solicitors.

Did you even read the article ? There was wood on it, presumably to stop it bending.

• Advertisement
Advertisement