Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paint & Chemical disposal

Options
  • 07-02-2012 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to dispose of expired paint cans and other chemicals?

I'm doing a bit of a clean out and need some advice.

I tried the City Council website but it really doesn't offer any useful advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You can use old motor oil to fertilise your lawn.

Otherwise, it's the Corporation yard in Liosbaun for all that kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Are you kidding?!:eek: It's toxic and will pollute.http://www.videojug.com/interview/petroleum-pollution

OP in cork the local council recycling centres can take and properly dispose of motor oil, paint, batteries etc. I'd imagine that is the case in council opertated recycling centres at the tips oin Galway. Give them a bell if no info on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

Thanks Guys, will check out Liosbaun. I though that was only for electrical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Does anyone know how to dispose of expired paint cans and other chemicals?
    I'm doing a bit of a clean out and need some advice.
    I tried the City Council website but it really doesn't offer any useful advice.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/WasteManagement/BringCentresandBanks/GalwayCityCouncilRecyclingCentre/

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JustMary wrote: »

(works on all web-browsers, no plugins required :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Robbo wrote: »
    You can use old motor oil to fertilise your lawn
    I seriously hope no-one believes this. It's a joke from a movie.

OP, yeah Liosban is the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Thanks Guys, will check out Liosbaun. I though that was only for electrical though.

They didn't used to except one day a year. I pestered councillors for years about this. Who knows how much ended up in landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Electrical appliances, lightbulbs both flourescent and regular, waste engine oil, ceramics, metal, clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Old paint is no longer accepted in Galway City Council Recycling centre in Liosbaun, its listed on their website as an item NOT accepted.

When I phoned and enquired, they said they had to stop accepting paint a few weeks ago but hope to start again "in the new year" In the meantime they are asking householders to store it until then.

What planet are these people on? They can't get things organised sufficiently to accept paint all year... what a bunch of amateurs.

Quick look on Galway County council website shows that paint is accepted in their recycling centres in Clifden, Tuam and Ballinasloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Galway City Council supposedly uses the Chemcar service for paint and other dangerous chemicals. I asked about it when I was in Liosban last week and they said they don't know when the next collection is scheduled but that "it will be announced on the website and in the papers" when they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 o'grainne

Hi All, Was just in Liosbaun Recycling Centre this morning and as well as not accepting old paint, they will now not take oil, aerosol containers or old sealant tubes etc. No reason given, was told to go to Barna waste. They just seem to be accepting metals and electrical stuff EASY to recycle.

Its ok to say to people to store them until a mobile hazardous waste collection facility is announced, but a lot of people don't have the space to safely store this stuff, town houses, apartments etc. All built without any storage facilities for the occupants. It will end up going into Landfill Bins and Bags and will undo all the effort to get people to recycle.

Galway City Council's own website regarding Hazardous Waste states;

"These products all contain substances that are poisonous, corrosive or flammable.
    PLEASE DO NOT put these items in the grey bin as they are toxic and pose a considerable health and environmental hazard."

Can these people ever get things right !!

o'grainne wrote: »
    Its ok to say to people to store them until a mobile hazardous waste collection facility is announced...

No it's not! They should be responsible for storing it until they can shift it.

Their incompetence and the environment suffers. I guarantee most people aren't as conscientious as yourself.

"What's one more old bucket of paint?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Went out to the Recycling Centre in Tuam yesterday after consulting the council website for info: http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Environment/WasteManagementRecyclingandWastePrevention/

Was surprised to see Barna Waste signs at the entrance and to find the way in blocked until we handed over €3.50 (the charge per car). Ok, €3.50 isn't a huge amount but it would have been good to know in advance.

So, did they offer paint and chemical disposal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

biko wrote: »

Yes, they did although we had to ask where to put it as there was no allocated area as with plastics, paper etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »

Ahh, I'm pretty sure that's a county council yard that's accepting 'em boss, the earlier posts saying ther're not accepted were about the city council.

Good to know. I do my own car services and the city will take old engine oil but not old coolant.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

does anyone know if the council is back to taking paint again. Have a few buckets that i stored.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

A year later and still no paint is accepted in Liosbaun - any idea where I can dispose of a lot of old paint tins?

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/WasteManagement/BringCentresandBanks/GalwayCityCouncilRecyclingCentre/

ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED:
    ASBESTOS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES AT THIS FACILITY

Paint
    Waste paints not accepted currently at facility, future availability of this service will be advertised locally and on the Galway City Council web site. In the interim people are encouraged to use up all paints, clean container thoroughly at which point the empty clean container can be placed in the household recycling bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Anyone knoww if you can dispose of old paint in Galway city yet?

I don't think so, at least according to the galywaycity.ie site. You might contact them to be sure and report back here if there are any options.

Yeah, seems only hazardous paint can be recycled.
    http://www.barnarecycling.com/my-recycling-centre-civic-amenity-site/
    Hazardous Paint - Ballinasloe, Tuam, Clifden

http://www.galwaycity.ie/recycling-centre-2/recycling-centre#6
    Can I dispose of paint cans?

Waste paints, including paint cans, are currently not accepted at the facility. Future availability of this service will be advertised locally and on the Galway City Council web site. In the interim people are encouraged to use up all paints, clean container thoroughly at which point the empty clean container can be placed in the household recycling bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Galway City Council is providing a Free Hazardous Waste Disposal Service for householders living in Galway City on Saturday, 12th December 2015.

When: Saturday, 12th December 2015

Where: Galway City Council's Recycling Facility, Liosbaun Industrial Estate, Tuam Road,

Time: 9:00am - 1:00pm*

Paints, paint cans (Limited to 5 containers per vehicle)

See link below

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/329/59/Free-Household-Hazardous-Waste-Disposal-Service/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

buzz11 wrote: »
    Galway City Council is providing a Free Hazardous Waste Disposal Service for householders living in Galway City on Saturday, 12th December 2015.

When: Saturday, 12th December 2015

Where: Galway City Council's Recycling Facility, Liosbaun Industrial Estate, Tuam Road,

Time: 9:00am - 1:00pm*

Paints, paint cans (Limited to 5 containers per vehicle)

See link below

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/329/59/Free-Household-Hazardous-Waste-Disposal-Service/

Really appreciate you putting this up. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

I went out to tuam last Saturday. Barna waste. €3.50 for 5 paint buckets or cans. It is worth going out there to get rid of the paint. Got rid of 15 paint buckets.

To save on driving out there I would organise with some one else to take their cans as well or organise a trailer between friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Anywhere in Athlone or ballinasloe area that takes paint cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joeg90

Hi justwingit, not sure if you read the previous posts but barna waste in ballinasloe take paint cans for 70c per can according to their website

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Robbo wrote: »
    You 555dd can use old motor oil to fertilise your lawn.

Otherwise, it's the Corporation yard in Liosbaun for all that kind of stuff.

d545

• Advertisement

Why did you bring this thread back, macinalli?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement