Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Laptoptop and itunes-music on external drive.

• 07-02-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi folks, i thought i would post here first for some guidance before i sit in front of the pc for hours trying to get my music collection organised on a new laptop with itunes.

I bought a new laptop and i have my music on an external hard drive. This is the way i operated on the previous pc which was a laptop as well. I know you have to consolidate the collection on the old pc first before transferring to the new pc but i didnt do that and i dont have the old pc now. Can anyone advise before i start this, basically, all my music is on a hard drive-external-and i want to keep it external, any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

To add the external music to iTunes without copying the files across, start iTunes and click on Edit/Preferences, then click the 'Advanced' tab in the popup window. Deselect (untick) the tickbox beside the option 'Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library'.

Then close that window and click on File/Add folder to library, point it at the music folder on the external drive and it will add the music to the iTunes library but the files will not be copied to the local drive.

If you later want to add music to iTunes from a memory stick or a HDD you borrow from a friend and you do want the files copied, remember to first reselect that option before adding those files to the iTunes library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

coylemj wrote: »
    To add the external music to iTunes without copying the files across, start iTunes and click on Edit/Preferences, then click the 'Advanced' tab in the popup window. Deselect (untick) the tickbox beside the option 'Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library'.

Then close that window and click on File/Add folder to library, point it at the music folder on the external drive and it will add the music to the iTunes library but the files will not be copied to the local drive.

If you later want to add music to iTunes from a memory stick or a HDD you borrow from a friend and you do want the files copied, remember to first reselect that option before adding those files to the iTunes library.

Hi, thanks for your reply. i do that and let you know if it was a smooth transition for me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

worked perfectly, thanks again for your help:D

Advertisement