Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dust extractor split

Options
  • 07-02-2012 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Quick question. I'm trying to sort out my dust extraction, at the moment I just have a flexible hose that I leave in place around whichever machine I am using at the time - works OK but not perfect.

I'd perfer to have some permanent intakes around the machines and just connect up the end of those to the extractor when needed.

I'm wondering is it better for me to reduce the diameter of the intake down, or leave the intake the same as the current diameter (4 inch I think) - does either have a negative effect on the pressure?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I would leave it at the four inches. If you reduce the size you run the risk of it blocking for example if your using a planer / thicknesser etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

I have a 4" intake on my extractor but just reduced that down to 2" beside the extractor and ran this all over the shop to various locations using plumbing waste pipe and have blast gates over head drops etc total run is about 30-40 ft (extractor in middle) and have about 8 blast gates. have never had any trouble with suction in any location and have only blocked it once with thicknesser chips. but was easy to clear as i have cleaning eyes located at each end or runs. although none of my machines have a 4" outlet. you could always run 4" to certain points then t off or reduce after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I have a 4" intake on my extractor but just reduced that down to 2" beside the extractor and ran this all over the shop to various locations using plumbing waste pipe and have blast gates over head drops etc total run is about 30-40 ft (extractor in middle) and have about 8 blast gates. have never had any trouble with suction in any location and have only blocked it once with thicknesser chips. but was easy to clear as i have cleaning eyes located at each end or runs. although none of my machines have a 4" outlet. you could always run 4" to certain points then t off or reduce after that.

Any chance you remember where you got the blast gates for the waste pipe?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-blast-gate-for-63mm-dust-extraction-kit-prod818871/?searchfor=blast%20gates
    they are a good fit one side and a loose fit the other so depending on what you will use as an outgoing off the blast gate ( i used waste pipe end caps) you can just use a little silicone to seal it up

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Thanks.

How did you reduce? Gradually or just straight from 4 to 2?

• Advertisement

m0nsterie wrote: »
    [

Thanks.

How did you reduce? Gradually or just straight from 4 to 2?

Just went straight from 4 to 2 used the hose that came with extractor as a flexible connection between extractor and the piping and used a 4" end cap and drilled a hole in it tO suit my pipe work. All the parts I used with the exception of the blast gates were standard plumbing fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Just went straight from 4 to 2 used the hose that came with extractor as a flexible connection between extractor and the piping and used a 4" end cap and drilled a hole in it tO suit my pipe work. All the parts I used with the exception of the blast gates were standard plumbing fittings

Great, thanks for your help.

Advertisement