Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Socket

Options
  • 07-02-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Need to remove a socket and have wires easily accessible for a carpenter. He is fitting a wardrobe and will then mount a socket plate on backing of wardrobe.

Is the following procedure safe to have wires easily accessible.

1. Turn off socket trip switch
    2. Remove Socket plate and tape up wires individually

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

dunno who invented those plates

they wont comply with wiring rules,same with long screws

how big is wardrobe?can,you shift socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You shouldn't really be fitting a socket in a wardrobe. It's just not a good idea, as if it is ever overloaded it's surrounded by potentially highly flammable wood and fabric!

However, if you're going to do it anyway, you should use a proper flush socket box behind it. Long screws and an open back are a potential fire hazard should the wires ever work themselves loose and short.

The box behind the socket's designed to contain the potential damage and protect the structure behind it.

If I were you, I'd move the socket to somewhere accessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

yes the wardrobe and plate aren't suitable

seems to be mostly kitchen and cabinet fitters that use them-they're outlawed i would think under current regs regarding flush boxes

Advertisement