Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogue de Bordeaux

• 07-02-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was just looking for some information from people that have lived with or own this breed. I have been around dominant powerful breeds for over 15 years but never any of the mastiffs. So, at the moment I only have one Stafford and seriously considering getting a Dogue. New job will have me working from home quiet a bit so time wont be a problem. Have a decent sized garden and someone will always be there even when i'm not.

Must of read every article on the net over the years and most is like its taken from the same book. So just a few questions I'd like to ask and if anyone can help that would be great.

First, is there any/many difference between Dog and Bitch? Such things as, personality, temperament, size, energy levels, drive etc..

Second. It wont be a kept in the yard all the time so what are they like in doors? Slober!!

Third. Whats the quality of the pups (registered of course) like on known web-sites such as done deal and others?

Fourth. My sister has a three kids aging from 6 months to 12. They live close by and roughly come around 5 times a week, are the kids to small or should they get along fine or are they prone to knocking little ones down and playing rough because of their size? 2 of these kids grew up around various bull breeds but nothing compared to the size of the Dogue!

Thanks in advance, anymore hints or tips would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Maybe give the Club a call and have a chat to them and get good advice from the experts.
    Stay away from the likes of Donedeal as they are full of dodgy backyard breeders. Get a breeder recommended from the Breed Club.

Dogue De Bordeaux Club of Ireland
    Mrs. J. Kirk
    61 Knightsbridge Court, Bangor, Co. Down BT19 6FW
    (0044-2891479523)

http://www.redoakkennels.net/ I recommend these people too to have a chat with about DDB's. I know Paul and Marie from the shows.

They are a very slobbery breed as i see them regularly at dog shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Came across this website http://www.ddbwelfare.org.uk

They have some rescue ones for homing - not sure if they would home to ireland though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My up the road neighbour actually has a beautiful one & they live in an apartment!!! I often see a child tugging it down the road on a lead... They swear it's a & a big sortie but I wouldn't be taking my word on it!!! Isn't there a big event coming up in the Kennel Club on St Patricks Day.. Might be an idea to plan a day trip & meet a variety of people & get a few different views & perspectives. There might be a few entered so you could paws for thought !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Thanks everyone, yes I know about the show on Patricks day, its just so far away from me and with the day thats in it, it would be a struggle to get over that far. To be honest if I was looking towards the bull breeds again I would adopt but not this time, this is something I've waited for along long time!

Yes they seem like that they could put up with a lot from kids but its just their sheer size if they knocked someone down!

Thanks again folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Davy1020

Hi

like the other poster above would also recommend Marie - dealt with her in the past and great lady and knows her stuff
    http://www.redoakkennels.net/

• Advertisement
Advertisement