Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food Recommendations?

• 07-02-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all, I am currently feeding my lab who is nearly 9 beta senior, she likes it. It was recommended by our vet to give to her, however I find she goes to the toilet alot on it. I thought she shouldn't be going as much as it was meant to be a better food than what we had her on originally. Anyway just wondering can anybody recommend other types of food? I cant afford any of the expensive brands but Id like decent food around same for her if I could. Just to see would it make a difference. I was thinking of the Red Mills Leader, but wondering what one as she is on senior, do they do senior???
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Red Mills Leader is a good food but they don't do a senior version. Senior foods tend to have some extra fibre to "keep things regular" so this could be why your dog is going to the toilet more often.

Another food that quite a few people seem to swear by is Whites (http://www.whites-premium.ie/default.aspx, it can only be bought online), they have a senior version and would be in your price range.

I have found James Wellbeloved Senior/Light very good for older dogs but it may be a little over your price range (€55 per 15 kg bag).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

Feeding is a bit of a minefield... As I'm sure one dogs meat is another dogs poison. In my experience, my 11 month husky was a little overweight a few months back and a friend of the auld lad (who's a show judge) asked how often and how much i was feeding him - as he was pooping a lot and they were inconsistent. Also, any treats that weren't "Pedigree Markies - Puppy" went straight through him. Ugh, the thoughts of it.

He recommended I cut his food back and I've since started mixing in a little of what I'm having (grilled chicken, pork, steak or fish) with his REDUCED Royal Canin kibble and some veg and he's now going twice a day like clockwork and his weight has leveled off.

In my case it was a reduction of the amount and an addition of the meat and some veg that regulated his stools. And a cutback on treats for training, etc...

Not sure if any of that will be of use to you. I guess it will be a bit of trial and error?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

Super thanks for that. I looked there at the red mills leader and they do a lite version that they say is good for senior dogs too has 18% protein, have to pop into local pet supplies tomor so might ask them also what they would recommend along side the beta senior, as in what would be around that same mark???

Advertisement