Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notch and Dracogen interested in funding Psychonauts 2

Options
  • 07-02-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

So Tim Schafer said this in an interview
    "I would love to do Psychonauts 2, he told Digital Spy. “I’ve actually pitched that to publishers several times and no-one has taken the bait so far… I’d have to convince someone to just give me a few million dollars. That’s all.”
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/07/double-fine-schafing-at-the-bit-to-do-psychonauts-2/#more-93088

Then Notch posted this to twitter:
    dUeXZ.png

and next Dracogen (who funded the Apple version of Psyhonauts) chimed in:
    OD4OE.png

Now I don't want to get too far ahead of myself but this definately mean Psychonauts 2 is coming :pac: Looking forward to see what Tim Schafer has to say about all this, really hope we hear an announcement for it in a few weeks. Can't imagine it will come out on this generation of consoles if it was to start development this year so it'll be a long time coming even if this does work out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You know, there are loads of games being re-imagined for current gen, yet no-one has the balls to fund games of olde that deserve it!!! Bring on Psychonauts 2!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

So fricken excited!!!

Notch (Minecraft) tweeted a while ago about making PSYCHONAUTS 2

I see a couple other people mention it to

If this happens, I will be over the moon. My favorite game of all time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Brilliant game and shame on all of you for not buying it when it came out :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I bought it. Didn't play it, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I reckon they'd have to do a two-fer.
    They'd have to release a remastered HD edition of the first game as a pack in with the new title.
    Otherwise the number of potential buyers is limited to the curious with too much money and those who bought and enjoyed the first title, and that latter number is far too small, while the former are all buying EA Sports games :(

Me, I want Beyond Good&Evil 2 as well as XIII-2 please, while we are wishing on a star.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    XIII-2 please, while we are wishing on a star.

Ah sure FF XIII-2 is just as good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd prefer if Notch finished the game that made him rich, first.

It is finished!

It's released, it's not finished. They left a game for modders to complete, with one member of staff making the odd addition now and then.

• Advertisement

humanji wrote: »
    It's released, it's not finished. They left a game for modders to complete, with one member of staff making the odd addition now and then.
    It's finished, with the company continuing to release DLC

What would define it being 'finished' in your eyes?

If they used the assets they put into the game, instead of abandoning them because they couldn't figure out how to implement them properly. The NPC villages being a key point. Don't get me wrong, I love Minecraft and it is fully playable as is, but the whole process of Notch coming up with an idea, telling people about it, then changing his mind because it couldn't be done sounds very like Peter Molyneux who always promises the moon and the stars.

So in the context of Psychonauts, I wouldn't put stock in Notch going through with his offer to fund it until it's actually done. He comes across as someone who is easily distracted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

humanji wrote: »
    If they used the assets they put into the game, instead of abandoning them because they couldn't figure out how to implement them properly. The NPC villages being a key point. Don't get me wrong, I love Minecraft and it is fully playable as is, but the whole process of Notch coming up with an idea, telling people about it, then changing his mind because it couldn't be done sounds very like Peter Molyneux who always promises the moon and the stars.

So in the context of Psychonauts, I wouldn't put stock in Notch going through with his offer to fund it until it's actually done. He comes across as someone who is easily distracted.

The only problem with Notch and Peter Molyneaux is that they can't keep their mouths shut about their ideas. Nobody else in the industry mouths off about ideas and pipe dreams they have about games, everything is kept secret until release. Lots of ideas are implemented in games and then dropped because they don't work, you very rarely ever hear about them except in a Molyneaux game or Minecraft. It unfortunately leads to disappointment from gamers and Molyneaux would be much better off keeping his trap shut, his biggest enemy is himself :) I can't fault the man for having too many ideas, it's a good thing but the norm in the indsutry is to cut ideas that don't make sense or are too complicated to impliment and only talk about the finished product.

Advertisement