Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New WC Build

Options
  • 07-02-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Have been planning this for a few months and have been picking up parts with this in mind. This month I am getting a few extra quid from work so am going to put it to use :)

I need 3 main things
    • Full tower case: 800D is my preference here unless someone can suggest a similar full tower case. I like it big, plain and windowed :)
    • CPU: 2500k, 2600k, 2700k, depends on funds!
    • GPU: Thinkin 6950/6970 - gong to need a block also.
    Im thinking with a bit of looking around and waiting I could pick one/two of these items up second hand in the next month and this would help me keep the cost to around the Eur500 mark. :confused:

For the WC I need a rad and pump. Have been holding off on these depending on what case I ended up going with.

What I have:
    • Corsair AX1200 - maybe two 6970's............
    • Asus Sabertooth - I have decided this is going to lead the general theme of the build and I have sleeving/tubing to go with this.
    • Hard Drive
    • Fan Controller
    Im not interested in the 7950/70 - can justify that kind of money. I have made a habit of building with parts that are not top of the line anymore but once were and still pack a punch.

Anyway appreciate any advise you can give!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

What sort of rad(s) are you going for? How much noise can you put up with? All of this will influence what case will fit everything.

If you're not too bothered about a window, you have other options:
    600T (can fit a 200mm rad in the front), 650D, 700D, ATCS 840, Cosmos II (****ing expensive though).

If you decide to go for a 580 or two, I have a block I can sell you on the cheap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Serephucus wrote: »
    What sort of rad(s) are you going for? How much noise can you put up with? All of this will influence what case will fit everything.

If you're not too bothered about a window, you have other options:
    600T (can fit a 200mm rad in the front), 650D, 700D, ATCS 840, Cosmos II (****ing expensive though).

If you decide to go for a 580 or two, I have a block I can sell you on the cheap. :)

I am keeping an eye on that block alright :). I am open to different options if there is a deal to be had.

I was planning a 360mm to start and then an additional rad depending on the case. Noise doesnt bother me that much but dont want it sounding like a jet since I am going to the bother of putting it under water.

Case wise I need a window! Im going to put alot of work into this so dont want ot hide it. After that I will need plenty room. Cosmos II is way too flash for me. I like the Silverstone TJ-07 also but that is just as dear.

What sort of hard drives have you got? If you've only got one or two, then you can mount them in 5.25 bays, and that opens up the front of a lot of cases to you. In that case, the 650D would be a possibility. It'll take a 2x140 in the top, a 120 in the back, and a 200 in the front. (Yes, it's got a bloody window. :P)

I initially thought that CPU+2xGPU would be quite loud on only a 360, but I'm thinking of my rig, and my CPU pulls about 150W more than a 2500K, so you might not actually do too badly.

If you were to go 2x140mm, 120mm and a 200mm (or two of the three)would you have to put them all in one loop?

There is alot to be said for just a 360mm rad on top though. Having more that one rad would make that loop a bit of a pain to put together.

Im not too bothered about hard drive space. Will just add 120gb SSD im thinking as I have a server made up to use for most of the storage.

You wouldn't have to, no. You could use the 280 for GPUs, and the 200 for your CPU, for example. XSPC does a dual loop reservoir too, I think. You'd need two pumps, but you could get two cheaper ones vs. one big one.

Mind you, dual loops doesn't really benefit all that much. Sure, you don't have CPU heat interfering with GPU heat or visa versa, but the most we're talking about is maybe a 5°C increase, and when you factor in the cost of a second pump, IMO, it's not really worth it.

You could always get a cheaper case, and run a 360 off the back, with a mounting bracket.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/rocerocket505/photo.jpg

• Advertisement

Jaz that pump is nearly as big as the one in our well outside!

Ya think I would stick with the one loop and internal as well. I like spending a few quid on a case as I think its worthwhile in the long run. The 800d is some case to hold its price

I have a Silverstone Fortress at the moment and it was a great investment. Its just for a WC build I would like to go a different direction and dont fancy going messing with the 180mm fans

That's the pump I'd be advising you to get anyway. It's the same one I have - the Swittfech MCP-655.

Serephucus wrote: »
    That's the pump I'd be advising you to get anyway. It's the same one I have - the Swittfech MCP-655.

Didnt realise the 655 was that big. What case are you using as a matter of interest?

It's in my signature - Cooler Master ATCS 840. Can hold two Internal 360 rads, and a front 200mm one. Figures I'm using an external rad. :P

You could look at the 355, but that tends to be more for complicated loops. It's got higher head pressure, so it can cope with a few more restrictive things than the 655, but the 655 has superior flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

If you decide that psu is too big for your build I could trade you my hd6970 for it and then you could save money and get a smaller psu?

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    If you decide that psu is too big for your build I could trade you my hd6970 for it and then you could save money and get a smaller psu?

@deceit. Ya I will have a think about that thanks

deejer wrote: »
    @deceit. Ya I will have a think about that thanks
    This is the card just so you know for reference. Only reason looking to trade is need a psu that looks better and longer cables as I have a little devil case for my main machine and this is being wasted in my workstation as I wont have time for gaming until summer time with college/work/gf.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Club-3D-Radeon-HD6970-DisplayPort/dp/B004JOKUBM

You can also see it here being used in my workstation rig. The machine that is in the 690II case.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76305682
    Also if it helps you could even run two 6970's/6970's on an ax850 with ease and room for overclocking and with the smaller psu you could fit a 240mm rad in the bottom of the 800d also ;).

as I wont have time for gaming until summer time with college/work/gf.

And in that order order of priority?? ;)

Ya I had been mainly planning on that PSU for headroom and also the fully modular design. I wont be doing a cable sleeving job with a non modular PSU again, its just so hard to get right.

On the point of swapping parts (I was going to post this in the "selling personal gear" thread but I wasnt sure of the reaction I would get) if anyone has a 2500k or higher CPU they are thinking of selling let me know and we could do a deal. :)

Just thinking about the priority, taught hmm that cant be right so taught yea cant work like that and ended my relationship yesterday...
    So now college/work is the order. :)
    Someone is willing to trade a gtx560ti and a power supply with long cables for it. Hoping to get the ax1200 watt psu but if dont hear anything friday I will trade it for them.
    I would have a 2500k I could trade for the psu also if any use?
    And in that order order of priority?? ;)

Ya I had been mainly planning on that PSU for headroom and also the fully modular design. I wont be doing a cable sleeving job with a non modular PSU again, its just so hard to get right.

On the point of swapping parts (I was going to post this in the "selling personal gear" thread but I wasnt sure of the reaction I would get) if anyone has a 2500k or higher CPU they are thinking of selling let me know and we could do a deal. :)

Just thinking about the priority, taught hmm that cant be right so taught yea cant work like that and ended my relationship yesterday...
    So now college/work is the order. :)
    Someone is willing to trade a gtx560ti and a power supply with long cables for it. Hoping to get the ax1200 watt psu but if dont hear anything friday I will trade it for them.
    I would have a 2500k I could trade for the psu also if any use?

@Deceit

Think I will hold on to the PSU. Let me know if you interested in trading the 2500k for cash

Thanks

@Deceit

Think I will hold on to the PSU. Let me know if you interested in trading the 2500k for cash

Thanks

Np and I will keep the cpu then. I was only going to let it go if I got the psu then I would just wait until the sr3 is released.

Advertisement