Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good valued Flat screen TV bargain

Options
  • 07-02-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a decent flat screen TV when I move apartment.

Something at least 37 inch. Dont need 3D or smart TV features.

Also is LCD the better than Plasma/LED?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Cheers, they seem to have pretty competitive prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Only on price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Amazon UK deliver TVs to Ireland these days, have found the prices a lot cheaper than you can get here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

padraig_f wrote: »
    Amazon UK deliver TVs to Ireland these days, have found the prices a lot cheaper than you can get here.

Not above 32" they don't.

Also Sony & Samsung won't ship any size here via Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Not above 32" they don't.

Also Sony & Samsung won't ship any size here via Amazon.

Didn't realise that, was a 32" I ordered off them.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Didn't realise that, was a 32" I ordered off them.

Me too.

They were delivering up to 46" TV's at one stage but alas......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just use deliverme.ie.

Only costs €22 to get a tv less than 25kg routed through them in Newry. Brilliant service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Depends really. LCD and LED are the same, both are LCD just one is backlit with CCFL tubes and the other side lit with LED.

LCD (CCFL) have better light uniformity due to being backlit but are thicker.

LCD (LED) are side lit (unless really expensive) and can have light/dark spots.

Plasma have the best image quality but have low resolution unless you go 50" plus.

I'd go with a good samsung LCD (CCFL) such as a D580/D550 if i was buying a 40".

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tv/2586159

I got myself a decent TV for 450e which has since dropped to 390e. The brand name is AOC which I must confess I never heard of myself but they're the world's largest manufacturers of monitors and have recently bought philips tv.

Took the plunge and I've no regrets about buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

to be honest iv been looking also for one for the parents. tesco are up with the best of them at the moment.
    you are looking at around 450 euro for full hd 40 inch.
    depends if you want fullhd. i do really like the crispness of it though when I have the xbox hooked up through hdmi...i also recommend getting saorview. ensure you get the digital tuner for that to save yourself 50-70 quid on a box.
    i got my 40inch sony now ~6months ago in currys for 400 reduced from 850 as it was a display model - out on the shelf 2 days apparently, so I took it no hassle and never looked back.
    I was surprised prices haven't dropped much recently, but even 26 inch and all that arent terribly cheap... even you can pick up a 50 inch for close on 500 euro if you dont want the full hd and check around.
    I never really notice and major differences in the more expensive tvs, messing with settings on any one gives you the same effect i find. or moreor less does anyway.
    best of luck. take a trip into a few shops. see what you want and then decide.
    Iv looked online and no site really does them cheaper than the stores - because of delivery and what not i guess.

my last bit of advice is move first before you buy it. see how much space you have to work with :D
    no point buying a 50 inch and having nowhere for it haha.
    I have mine at a slight angle as the alcove its in doesnt fit it straight across even :D

I got myself a decent TV for 450e which has since dropped to 390e. The brand name is AOC which I must confess I never heard of myself but they're the world's largest manufacturers of monitors and have recently bought philips tv.

I had protracted correspondence with a senior manager at AOC in attempting to sort out a problem with the TV - it wouldn't do interactive teletext on Saorview, despite having MHEG5 present.

The exec at AOC appeared oblivious to their obligations under directive 99/44/EC - that the set must work as advertised and the whole process was borderline unprofessional at times.

Thankfully, the retailer refunded in full.
    watty wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with how RTE does MHEG5. It's Shoddy TV makers that have not implemented the spec properly. They have taken short cuts. Usually traditional Monitor makers with no experience implementing TV software.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73559456

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thats not a decent TV and its not even worth what you paid for it.

You got stung.

Advertisement