Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you joking me?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »
    They do? In what way? I've just finished Brotherhood and the only reason I knew there was additional content was because there were two unique Templar icons on my map which I assumed wouldn't be there if I didn't have said content.

It's Assassins Creed 2, I think, where they actually 'flag' the presence of DLC. There's a bit near the end where you actually skip two Animus sequences within the game itself - 'distorted' memories or something like that. These bits were later released as DLC. Largely superfluous chapters, perhaps, but still a bit cheeky for the game to remind us there's content we don't have access to!
    Totally disagree with this. In the context of the game I thought it was great, the whole Free Will versus Destiny element in practice. One could argue that they could have offered an alternate ending where
    the Prince could have exercised his free will and not revived Elika
    but I certainly wouldn't have wanted to finish the game the way it ended and then have to do the DLC only to come to nearly the exact same conclusion.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear there. I actually quite like the Prince of Persia ending too - it certainly works in context. But if the 'epilogue' was planned in advance, then I think it's a bit of a cynical exercise not including it. I haven't played the epilogue, so can't comment on its thematic links! Still a bit pissed that they abandoned the reboot universe actually - lots of promise there amidst the wisecracking and repetition.

Rock Band 3 is another culprit for the 'look! DLC!' side of things. I think as a series it actually has the strongest, most important range of DLC. But I don't like being reminded of it everytime I go to pick a song. That said, there is an option to turn it off buried in a menu somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Was it Dragon Age that had the whole situation where an NPC tried to recruit you for a quest, and when you went to accept it, it prompted you to buy the DLC required to play it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

oeb wrote: »
    Was it Dragon Age that had the whole situation where an NPC tried to recruit you for a quest, and when you went to accept it, it prompted you to buy the DLC required to play it?

Yes it was , good point out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's Assassins Creed 2, I think, where they actually 'flag' the presence of DLC. There's a bit near the end where you actually skip two Animus sequences within the game itself - 'distorted' memories or something like that. These bits were later released as DLC. Largely superfluous chapters, perhaps, but still a bit cheeky for the game to remind us there's content we don't have access to!
    Ah yes, that I do remember. Aye, that would have been annoying alright (I had it via the CE, you're not missing much :) ) and is certainly as close to showing the gamer what they're missing as I'd like it to go.
    Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear there. I actually quite like the Prince of Persia ending too - it certainly works in context. But if the 'epilogue' was planned in advance, then I think it's a bit of a cynical exercise not including it. I haven't played the epilogue, so can't comment on its thematic links! Still a bit pissed that they abandoned the reboot universe actually - lots of promise there amidst the wisecracking and repetition.
    I duno, I'd chalk that up to DLC for the sake of it and as such should have either been ditched entirely or left to those who really wanted more and were willing to pay. You're literally forced to do the exact same stuff as you've been doing during the game for awhile, then there's a repeat of the final fight and it ends in a similar manner to the original ending, at least in so far as
    both characters escape alive at the end

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes it was , good point out

I remember reading how proud Bioware were of their DLC in game shop for Dragon Age 2 as well. It's all they woul talk abut. Feck all about the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Feck all about the game.

That's because it, like the bizarrely overrated first, was absolute tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bethesda is really famous for this sort of bull****. Fallout 3 and new Vegas.

I could bet skyrim has something similar, but I am really cba To play and find out.

Have to disagree when it comes to Fallout.
    Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Bethesda obviouslt makes plans to release DLC, but there's nothing to do with the ending. I mean the games are vast as is. They have endings, the DLCs just give you optional extra areas. Surprised we haven't heard about any for Skyrim so far. The NV ones seemed to be out fairly quick after the main game.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

noodler wrote: »
    Have to disagree when it comes to Fallout.

Exactly.

Emmthey did. In both by the way. The ending of fallout 3 was most idiotic ending ever created, it was even worse when you had mutant as companion. They fixed that ending with dlc. Then released dlc which wrapped the story.

New Vegas even worse. I remember how they were advertising that last dlc. Dlc which wrapped up the whole story and explain everything about you as courier. To add: ending was even worse in new Vegas then fallout 3! ( the non dlc endong, If you want to call it)It was so bad, that I newer even came back to that game, it left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Emmthey did. In both by the way. The ending of fallout 3 was most idiotic ending ever created, it was even worse when you had mutant as companion. They fixed that ending with dlc. Then released dlc which wrapped the story.

New Vegas even worse. I remember how they were advertising that last dlc. Dlc which wrapped up the whole story and explain everything about you as courier. To add: ending was even worse in new Vegas then fallout 3! ( the non dlc endong, If you want to call it)It was so bad, that I newer even came back to that game, it left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Whether you liked the Fallout DLC or not I completely disagree with your interpretation of it.

noodler wrote: »
    Whether you liked the Fallout DLC or not I completely disagree with your interpretation of it.

I strongly disagree with with your view of it.

Your turn now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I seem to recall fallout 3 having a reasonable conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

cloud493 wrote: »
    I seem to recall fallout 3 having a reasonable conclusion.

I agree here. I liked the Fallout 3 ending. I guess in hindsight I can see what you mean ShadowHearth about the end of NV. But it's more just left open for stuff to be added. I wouldn't consider it as a poor ending that required DLC to be satisfying.

But then again, I feel like Fallout, Elder Scrolls are about the journey rather than the ending!! I mean usually the main story is the last thing I do. Exploring the world is the selling point of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Better than not being able to play the game if it goes out of print and you missed it or never being able to play it again when the authentication servers go down. That's the way I look at it.

The fact that there may only be the option for one or the other is the real pisser here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone that liked the Fallout 3 ending (not the broken steel DLC ending) is completely bonkers! Are you sure you guys didn't play the GOTY edition with all the DLC included?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Anyone that liked the Fallout 3 ending (not the broken steel DLC ending) is completely bonkers! Are you sure you guys didn't play the GOTY edition with all the DLC included?

I have the GOTY edition yeah, but up until you go into the reactor its the same right? I mean you get the whole video/voiceover of what you've done.

I thought it was a grand ending, the only annoying thing woulda been not being able to continue to play on, but since I had the GOTY edition that wasn't a problem. And for NV I just made sure to leave the main quest till the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

The original Fallout 3 ending was better. 'Broken Steel' was so phoned in. It didn't even matter if you went in the super radioactive chamber or not, you survive either way. It felt like a really half-assed postscript

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Broken steel was still good game though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The pitt was the worse dlc ever to exsist

The pitt was the worse dlc ever to exsist

Are you serious? For me it's the best example of how to do DLC right. Great new area to explore and that choice you had to make at the end was genuinely brilliant and really made me think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

gaaawd how i miss good old fansioned expansion packs !!

We used to get DLC/Expansions like W3:Frozen Throne/ Diablo2:LoD / CoD:UO / HL:OF...

Now all we get is alternate endings, maps and god damn hats ! (Screw u valve ! :P)

• Advertisement

Are you serious? For me it's the best example of how to do DLC right. Great new area to explore and that choice you had to make at the end was genuinely brilliant and really made me think about it.

i have to agree on PIT dlc. it was really enjoyable. the twist in the end really got me!

a bit offtopic, but are mods for NV hard to install? might give it a go for ****s and giggles. i got that Old world blues, i hears its best of the batch.

i have to agree on PIT dlc. it was really enjoyable. the twist in the end really got me!

a bit offtopic, but are mods for NV hard to install? might give it a go for ****s and giggles. i got that Old world blues, i hears its best of the batch.

I didn't mind the Pitt but found Broken Steel to be a little bit crap.

Also, the GOTY edition on the PS3 was a ****ing shambles. The game crawled at 1fps so often I could have snapped.

Advertisement