Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binary Domain

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

People really need to pick this up at this stage, very cheap and so sad it never took off ..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Also, it's seriously satisfying shooting the shít out of robots. Robotic limbs flying everywhere = fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Picked this up for €12 in HMV and have just played the first 40 mins or so.. really enjoying it so far. Reckon its definitely worth €12!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I saw got this myself for €12 in HMV last week after I saw it mentioned in the Bargains thread. Still haven't gotten around to playing it but it does look like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Is there setting on PC that allows you switch the aim camera i.e. allows you aim over either shoulder? The camera just seems all to one side which is putting me off the game a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished this and it was enjoyable albeit in a very slight sort of way. The shooting is thankfully rock solid, and the happily lean running time never allows the basic mechanics to exhaust themselves. The story was hokum, and the cutscenes were too long at times, but it was quite well presented in a formulaic, racially stereotypical sort of way ;) Liked the visual design too - crisp and futuristic.

I thought other mechanics were wasted. The squad loyalty system never came to life IMO, and while it's an interesting experiment I would have liked to see it have more impact on gameplay (I tried with a mic for a little while, but it was wildly inconsistent so I stuck with the gamepad). The upgrade system felt ramshackle too, although easy enough to ignore. The bosses also veered too close to the bullet sponge and glowing weakpoint paradigms, but the scale of some of them were impressive.

It isn't a great game by any stretch of the word, but as far as derivative third-person shooters go, this at least as engaging mechanics to allow it stand out from the crowd. Vanquish it ain't, but it is generally fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just after picking this up with Sleeping dogs in HMV thanks to boards. Been awhile since I've got into a single player game properly so looking forward to it.

I started playing this the other night and I'm about two hours into it. I picked it up a little while ago for only €11 in HMV. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I like the banter between the members. The writing isn't amazing but it is consistently amusing. I like the ability to aim for different parts of the enemy robots. Shooting off the legs and watching them crawl towards you never gets old.

As I said I'm not too far into the game but I like some of the background story to the world about how the sea levels rose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I started playing this the other night and I'm about two hours into it. I picked it up a little while ago for only €11 in HMV. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I like the banter between the members. The writing isn't amazing but it is consistently amusing. I like the ability to aim for different parts of the enemy robots. Shooting off the legs and watching them crawl towards you never gets old.

As I said I'm not too far into the game but I like some of the background story to the world about how the sea levels rose.

Story gets better in the end ...:D

Story gets better in the end ...:D

I've actually read a lot of people say that the story falls apart at the end. I already have my suspicions about where it is going but that would surely be too obvious for me to be correct.

• Advertisement

I just finished the campaign in Binary Domain a few minutes ago. I honestly think this is one of the most underrated games of this generation. I enjoyed the B-movie nature of the game. It didn't have the greatest story, the best graphics or amazing voice-acting but it did have really satisfying combat. Even after playing through the whole game I never tired of fighting mobs of robots. Getting headshots or shooting off limbs is fun but it allows you to add some strategy too. Getting headshots will make the enemy fight each other and shooting off legs will mean they will have to crawl to you. It never gets old.

I did enjoy the story but it did go a bit off the rails in the last section. It isn't really a problem though as even when it gets crazy it will keep you guessing what will happen. Another thing that I liked were the boss battles. I don't normally enjoy these in games but I like the design of a lot of them. Also they give you more than one way to defeat them, which is pretty cool.

I would honestly say it is the best third-person shooter I've played on the PS3 or 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'm playing through Vanquish and it's a very decent game. Would Binary Domain be up my street?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, it can't hurt to give it a try. It's nowhere near as inventive or tightly designed as Vanquish, but it's a somewhat above average shooter with admittedly enjoyable combat. I'd recommend it with more caution than many here as it has a plethora of flaws and half-baked systems, but I certainly got my 11.99's worth out of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fantastic game, really enjoying it - best value for money purchase I've made in a while, and the campaign is much longer than I expected, having just finished Spec Ops: The Line in under 4 hours!

Just finished this myself. Have to say it was really enjoyable. Not sure how long it took to complete but it was a decent campaign, probably 10 or more hours.

It's just constantly refreshing I found, it always changed things up so you never got bored of it. That said, the amount of bullets I put in to some of those bosses was ridiculous :D

Highly recommend at only 11 euro!

Funnily enough TerrorFirmer, my next single player game I'll be putting time into is Spec ops!

Spec Ops is an equally fantastic game, however it's criminally short, and I didn't even bother trying to multiplayer after Yager's brutal honesty with regards their feelings on that subject!

Spec Ops is an equally fantastic game, however it's criminally short, and I didn't even bother trying to multiplayer after Yager's brutal honesty with regards their feelings on that subject!

Yager's brutal honesty kind of made me buy the game! I was happy to part with the money knowing he was quite passionate about the single player and din't want anything to do with multiplayer.

Not all games need multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Just finished this game yesterday, really enjoyed it.
    I had to laugh at the ending though
    "holler if you're dead" just seemed laughably inappropriate

Oh and
    WTF happened to Cain?

The only thing I didn't like was the interaction between the main guys and Faye. Just seemed a little bit too school boyish and made me a bit uncomfortable.

Also, why did her suit have frames for her boobs?

TomCo wrote: »
    The only thing I didn't like was the interaction between the main guys and Faye. Just seemed a little bit too school boyish and made me a bit uncomfortable.

Also, why did her suit have frames for her boobs?

500px-Regions_and_Prefectures_of_Japan_2.svg.png

I had to laugh at the ending though
    "holler if you're dead" just seemed laughably inappropriate

That is pretty funny now that I think about it.
    Oh and
    WTF happened to Cain?

Depending on your loyalty levels with various members of the team, your ending will be different. In some endings
    Cain will return.
    It is weird though that it can be just left unresolved.

• Advertisement

I only got maximum trust with Faye, but
    Cain did return in my ending.

How cheesy is the post credits scene?!
    Yager's brutal honesty kind of made me buy the game! I was happy to part with the money knowing he was quite passionate about the single player and din't want anything to do with multiplayer.

Not all games need multiplayer.

My point was more that for a full priced game, as great as it is, I don't consider Spec Ops particularly good value when I finished the game in about 4 hours. I spent more than double that playing the campaign in Binary Domain, for example, which is also a squad based 3rd person shooter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Just finished it there today quite enjoyed it.
    Story felt like a mix of I Robot and A.I which I enjoyed up until the final part of the game where it went a bit off I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Bought this last week for about €5. Almost finished it but I've found it be actually quite enjoyable. I think that it's more enjoyable than the sum of it's parts.
    Possibly the best €5 I've spent in a long while.
    Not sure if there is going to be a pay off for the trust mechanic for your crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Bought this last week for about €5. Almost finished it but I've found it be actually quite enjoyable. I think that it's more enjoyable than the sum of it's parts.
    Possibly the best €5 I've spent in a long while.
    Not sure if there is going to be a pay off for the trust mechanic for your crew.

where'd you pay a fiver? its on the gamestop list

sweetie wrote: »
    where'd you pay a fiver? its on the gamestop list
    I bought it from Amazon.com as a digital download that registers with Steam. Think it was under $8 or so. Just finished it there. Quite entertaining. Very hammy in places. A really intriguing premise. Dont think I'll ever play it again but was worth the money.

Stayed this earlier this evening after finishing up Tomb Raider and it's the perfect fodder to spend a few hours engrossed in. Playing on PC and I'm thinking that I'll have to get out my controller as it's obvious that this was a game made for consoles.

I had a lot of fun playing through this a couple of years ago. Just some mindless shooting fun to be had.

Stayed this earlier this evening after finishing up Tomb Raider and it's the perfect fodder to spend a few hours engrossed in. Playing on PC and I'm thinking that I'll have to get out my controller as it's obvious that this was a game made for consoles.
    Hardly ever play games with a controller on my PC but that game was so cumbersome with a kb and m. Loved playing through it though.

Advertisement