Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IBT for moped?

• 07-02-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10

Hi,

I just read through the 'learner questions' section and I would like to clarify one thing: Do you have to do an IBT course if your are getting just a moped licence?

I was planning on getting a bike but due to cost\difficulty of doing the IBT course (I would have to travel to Mayo to do it) I would settle for a moped instead if it meant I didn't have to do the training.

I have no problem doing lessons to get to grips with the bike but making the IBT compulsory, very expensive and very difficult to do outside of Dublin seems kind naff to me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The only way you will avoid the IBT for a moped is if you have a full car license since before 21st October 2006. Otherwise, you're f*cked!

See here for details on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 Fruh2theline

Thanks for the reply.

Nope my car license is from ~2008 :/
    Is it just me or are they determined to make biking as inaccesible as possible for beginners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Thanks for the reply.

Nope my car license is from ~2008 :/
    Is it just me or are they determined to make biking as inaccesible as possible for beginners...

You have just arrived to the soap box that many have been shouting from for the last few years!

Yes they are making it harder and more expensive to get started on bikes but they are making it a lot safer for you too by equipping you with knowledge and skills to use out on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Im all for ibt and training but wouldnt it be great if the insurance companies took the fact that you have some training into account before they shaft you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Im all for ibt and training but wouldnt it be great if the insurance companies took the fact that you have some training into account before they shaft you

Many do...up to 40% off. But you don't get credit for the IBT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I know you can do training alright. But i think the ibt should stand for something. you will get the same insurance quote as someone that may have just gotten the provisional before ibt and never sat on a bike in their life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I know you can do training alright. But i think the ibt should stand for something. you will get the same insurance quote as someone that may have just gotten the provisional before ibt and never sat on a bike in their life

Yes, but IBT has been around for a year now. So there would be very few people looking to get bike insurance for the first time who have not done IBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SmilerMick

You do get discount for having the IBT course done with AON and Quinn.
    You would be charged more if you got your learner permit before 6th Dec 10.

Advertisement