Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I homedye my dark hair to a mid/honey blonde?

• 07-02-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on homedying. I've pretty short hair - just got a long, floppy fringe. I've been home dying it a dark brown since I've had it cut up short as it didn't seem right to pay a ridiculous amount in the salon when I'd so little hair. It's also very easy to do now, again because it's so short.

My question is, I'd love a colour change, maybe to a mid/honey blonde, like Michelle Williams now has in her hair and was wondering do you reckon I could acheive this colour myslf or would I need to go to the hairdressers? The thought of shelling out the cash for a colour ( I still go every 6 - 8 weeks for my cut) after so long is giving me hives!

Now, I've been using permanent colours which could cause some problems.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Not a hairdresser but purely from personal experience, if it's in decent condition and you've a fair bit of home dyeing experience, wait until you've a week where it won't matter if your hair is many shades of weirdness, then Colour b4 it and see what colour your hair is now. A few days later stick a semi in it and work up to the colour you want gradually. It'll take quite a while but you have to be patient or bleach it, and the latter is a minefield. You may have some fairly glaring orange tones from the permanent brown dye so you'll have to accept it won't be an overnight change and that you may have to go to the hairdressers anyway to get it fixed if it all goes horribly wrong! Alternatively see if any of the hairdressing academies need models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Flaker wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on homedying. I've pretty short hair - just got a long, floppy fringe. I've been home dying it a dark brown since I've had it cut up short as it didn't seem right to pay a ridiculous amount in the salon when I'd so little hair. It's also very easy to do now, again because it's so short.

My question is, I'd love a colour change, maybe to a mid/honey blonde, like Michelle Williams now has in her hair and was wondering do you reckon I could acheive this colour myslf or would I need to go to the hairdressers? The thought of shelling out the cash for a colour ( I still go every 6 - 8 weeks for my cut) after so long is giving me hives!

Now, I've been using permanent colours which could cause some problems.....

Not a hairdresser but I wouldn't advise you to home dye as I would reckon you will probably get orangey red tones! I went from dark brown to honey blonde and it has taken me from August 2011 to jan 2012! I did it doing highlights with hairdresser I think I have been 4 times I probably achieved the colour after 3 as she told me next time I will get some low lights. If you are on a budget check out www.salonaddict.ie or keep an eye on www.mydealpage.ie for some deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Not a hairdresser either but I would definately advise against doing the whole home blonde thing.
    Blonde colouring is so difficult to achieve especially if you are going from a dark shade,you would probably have to bleach it,never a good idea without the services of a hairdresser.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Flaker

Thanks everybody for your replies. I am definatley going to have a look at Colour B4 but will think long and hard before I try anything myself. And those websites look great too. Will deffo be checking them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Scarlet 27

I know a few different girls who have used honey blonde hair dye and they were all very upset when their hair came out a red/orange colour so please be careful when picking the dye. I think being a hair model is a great way to get it done without the expense and the worry that you won't like the colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Agreed - if you are going to go the colour b4 route then use an ash or at least a neutral blonde first because a honey will simply layer more red tones into the hair. After your hair is in a more neutral tonal range then it's easier to add in honey. Definitely think hair model is the way to go though if you can!

Advertisement