Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile timber conversion

Options
  • 07-02-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

:confused: Hi all,
    just wondering if anybody out there knows of a mobile timber conversion service. ?
    I'm in Tipperary and have one full elm tree and two big yew trees ( down a few years ) to convert into planks. One option is to take it to a mill but I would need to hire somebody with a hoist + trailer ( the elm is too heavy to lift ) - a days work.
    It might just be more economical to get somebody to come to me and convert on site but I can't see ads for anybody doing this.Anybody got any info on this.?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garbarrage

Do you want to use the timber yourself? Timber mills are usually reluctant to take timber that doesn't carry the correct certificates. You could try phoning local tree surgeons, forestry companies and ask if any of them have or could get the use of an Alaskan Mill. They can be a little bit wasteful as the bar cuts bigger kerf than a traditional mill but they are good for sites with poor access, or where there is insufficient timber to justify setting up a larger operation.

Here's a link to one working to give you an idea of what they do. If you already have a chainsaw (70cc plus or a 25" bar or bigger) you could lay your hands on one of these for about 250 yo yos.: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuMacK-dmwY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Try these guys
    www.kilndriedhardwoods.ie Neil is the man to talk to 086-919 3864
    Yew and Elm is worth saving, whatever the cost - we furniture makers love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Thanks guys,
    yes, I'll be using the wood myself after seasoning. I make furniture for myself and friends as a hobby.
    The links are appreciated- I held off getting the Yew converted as I felt it didn't justify the cost but the elm tree conveniently died in front of my house and the council agreed to let me have the wood after felling.
    I may as well add a grumble here. I didn't realize the wood was elm until the contractor turned up and told me he was taking two other elms in the ditch also.
    I asked for those but was told they were 'going elsewhere'. In fact they were turned into instant firewood for his buddy who turned up in a pickup to take them. So much for eco sustainability by the council. I felt that if they were 100 year old walnut trees they would have met the same fate.:mad:

recipio wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    yes, I'll be using the wood myself after seasoning. I make furniture for myself and friends as a hobby.
    The links are appreciated- I held off getting the Yew converted as I felt it didn't justify the cost but the elm tree conveniently died in front of my house and the council agreed to let me have the wood after felling.
    I may as well add a grumble here. I didn't realize the wood was elm until the contractor turned up and told me he was taking two other elms in the ditch also.
    I asked for those but was told they were 'going elsewhere'. In fact they were turned into instant firewood for his buddy who turned up in a pickup to take them. So much for eco sustainability by the council. I felt that if they were 100 year old walnut trees they would have met the same fate.:mad:

Well think of yourself as having the last laugh. Elm is p*** poor firewood and its a mare to split.

• Advertisement

garbarrage wrote: »
    Well think of yourself as having the last laugh. Elm is p*** poor firewood and its a mare to split.

:D Yes, that did cross my mind. I just thought the whole process was sloppy.Why should a 'tree surgeon' appropriate the wood as a given right and not give a toss that he was destroying valuable trees like a vandal.Voices were raised when I queried the ownership of the wood. I would have bought them if given the chance.
    Only in Ireland...............
    Anyway,the contact in Mountrath is interested in coming down to convert what I have so thanks again for the input.

recipio wrote: »
    :D Yes, that did cross my mind. I just thought the whole process was sloppy.Why should a 'tree surgeon' appropriate the wood as a given right and not give a toss that he was destroying valuable trees like a vandal.Voices were raised when I queried the ownership of the wood. I would have bought them if given the chance.
    Only in Ireland...............
    Anyway,the contact in Mountrath is interested in coming down to convert what I have so thanks again for the input.

I'm a tree surgeon, and often to make a job more affordable we knock an amount off of our first quote in lieu of the value of the timber. I only do it if I have a use, place, or buyer for the timber prior to the job. I have overheads and can't afford to lose money on a job while waiting for a sale, but there are others who run firewood/timber businesses on the side. Always agreed with the client first, though not always formally. Sometimes the client will tell me before I give a quote that ALL debris is to be removed, so I adjust my quote accordingly to gain a competitive edge.

I'm a tree surgeon, and often to make a job more affordable we knock an amount off of our first quote in lieu of the value of the timber. I only do it if I have a use, place, or buyer for the timber prior to the job. I have overheads and can't afford to lose money on a job while waiting for a sale, but there are others who run firewood/timber businesses on the side. Always agreed with the client first, though not always formally. Sometimes the client will tell me before I give a quote that ALL debris is to be removed, so I adjust my quote accordingly to gain a competitive edge.

Of course the council can make any agreement with a tree surgeon although in this case the road is private and ownership of the wood was uncertain. I had agreed with the council that I would take the tree in front of my house . I'm disappointed with the council environmental officer that he showed no interest in the conservation of the wood.If he agreed to let the contractor take the elm for firewood then thats dispicable. Also,don't you feel any tree surgeon has a responsibility to make proper use of a ( now) rare hardwood instead of boosting his profit margin. ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

How big in diameter are the trees ?

You could mill them yourself you know.
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/tresl39.html

I am making a mill attachment like this at the weekend.
    I will take pics and start a different thread on it's construction.

But it will look like this old one I had -see attached.
    It's great for saving timber - as cutting in a straight line with a chainsaw is difficult.
    Yew is just so nice to work with - and my fav wood -as in the pic.

K

karltimber wrote: »
    Hi,

How big in diameter are the trees ?

You could mill them yourself you know.
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/tresl39.html

I am making a mill attachment like this at the weekend.
    I will take pics and start a different thread on it's construction.

But it will look like this old one I had -see attached.
    It's great for saving timber - as cutting in a straight line with a chainsaw is difficult.
    Yew is just so nice to work with - and my fav wood -as in the pic.

K

Interesting . There are a number of chainsaw mills available commercially of course.
    The trouble is they are hard work. I had a 120 cc chainsaw once and found it a pain to even start the thing !
    I've found a German bloke in Mountrath who charges 65 euro / hour to come to my house with a mobile mill. As this is a one off project I'll happily shell out the money to get the job done. I'm still mad as hell about the two other elms that were turned into firewood !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you can find someone with a mobile bandsaw mill it would be better than trying to rip them with a chainsaw mill.
    Less waste and a cleaner cut that needs less finishing.
    Don't forget that you should also get a 0 deg grind on the chain for ripping.
    A woodmizer or similar would fly through much faster than a chainsaw.
    Its hard on a chainsaw ripping endgrain, really hard.
    Full throttle for a long time on a smaller saw <70cc will find out any weaknesses in the saw.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think you are being to kind on the elm..

Its a ringing b*****std to split:D:D:D

kadman

Advertisement