Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FÁS - Java Programming S.E.6 - Online

Options
  • 07-02-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever do this course? The FÁS Java Programming S.E.6 - Online course. http://1bi.us/azx

I was talking to the tutor involved with it this morning, and she told me that although the page says it takes 14 weeks, you can spend up to six months doing it (that's how long the material and tutor will be available to you.) And that few people would manage it in just 14 weeks. I was in work when I was talking to here though, so I just asked about the workload to see if I could manage it while doing my job as well, which she said shouldn't be a problem.

I've been trying to learn Java myself for the past few weeks. I've read a few books and done some very basic programmes, not even going into graphics, GUIs and their events and listeners, just command line stuff. I just find that reading on my own, I never try and actually write what I've thought I've learned, because I'm always thinking about something I need to know first, or something that would make my program better. Then I go off and read about that and on and on. At the moment I'm reading about AI (mostly searching at the moment.) But I've never sat down and tested my knowledge. I figure this kind of course will get me to do that, and actually test me.

So, I was just wondering if anyone has experience with the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I'v done a bit of research into the Oracle certification Buceph as I was considering doing it myself. From what I gather it is not to be taken lightly, it is after all an Oracle certification so they are not going to hand them out too easily. To complete it you would have to gain a really good understanding of OO programming and the working of Java itself. It is difficult..! Even though maybe the fact that FAS are offering it, it might not seem so.

But besides the fact that it's difficult, why not do it.! Whats the worse that can happen.

Exams are sit twice a year in Ireland (I think) so if you didn't get it first time around you could go again (cost's exam fee's though).

Also if you were interested in doing it, but didn't want the time restrictions you could just pick up the official Oracle Cert books off Amazon. Apparently the whole course is available in the book and it is accompanied by a book of exam papers so you can test yourself and see where you are at. You could then sit the exam at the next sitting when you feel you are ready.

Plenty of options, but you should go for it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Yeah, it's more for a personal reasons than the certification that I'd be doing it. I'm more or less attached to my computer, but apart from a few BIS type modules at Uni, and putting the computer together, I don't know much about "Tech." And like any PC gamer, I always have ideas for games going through my head. The certification would be nice at the end of it, but the real attraction would be a structured course, that I presume the guys who provide FÁS with the programme would have to have done to get the contract. And I would have access to a tutor via e-mail for six months, which is another handy thing (only so much you can pester people for on forums until they hound you out of the place.) And the guys doing the course and the tutor seem to be on the ball. I e-mailed them yesterday lumchtime about the workload (to their general info address.) I had an e-mail back by the evening saying they'd passed my details onto the tutor and she'd get onto my. This morning I had an e-mail from the tutor asking me for my mobile number, and an hour after that she called me and was able to answer my questions. So a completely different experience than I usual endure with FÁS. :P

I've asked my FÁS supervisor if I could be signed up to it. They just need to find out if I can be doing this and a placement at the same time.

So fingers crossed. :)

Advertisement