Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Milking - Speed tips needed if any!!!

• 07-02-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Any advice on milking first heifers - smart ideas needed. I have about 30 heifers calving in the next 2-3 weeks (all new start t milking). At the minute there are about 8 calved - 5 ready to go to tank now and 3 still for dumping(only calved). The question is, the row holds 10 but i have no dump line, so any bright ideas how to speed this up. I can milk the 5 with the main line, but the row is left standing waiting on the dump bucket milking out each of the other 3 one at a time - seriously slow. Dont really want to buy another dump bucket???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

you could borrow a bucket from a neighbour

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Maybe use a 12 gallon aluminium milk churn instead of a dump bucket. Put a T piece on the milk lines so 2 cows could be milked at once into the churn.

Another alternative is to milk all the cows fit for the tank first, then milk all the cows with biestings at the end of milking into a 40 gallon barrel with the top cut off it. Might be worthwile to make a yogurt culture out of this to feed calves. Antibiotic milk will have to be kept seperate from the yogurt.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

just turn away the ones that arent for the tank when loading and milk the others last. when you grow you numbers it isnt a runner but very doable with 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i remember when i use to milk in the byre i would keep the cows for last that couldn go for the tank ,

Advertisement