Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide Dogs/Assistance Dogs banned also from Galway Beaches

• 07-02-2012 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

So am a bit shocked to say it mildly.
    I spoke to Galway Co Council this morning as we will be taking our assistance dog in training on holidays with us. I understand the By-laws are strict but Guide dogs/assistance dogs subject to the same rules.. I think this is scandlous - so a child that has a full time assistance dog or anyone with a guide dog is literally also banned from the beach from 9am - 8pm. what a joke!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Surely thats against the law?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

Are you sure and its not just the igorance of whoever you were speaking with because I think its against the law also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Are you sure? Could that not be seen as discriminatory not allowing a disabled person with an assistance dog into an area? :confused: Did you mention it's an assistance dog in training by any chance? I wonder could they have had issues before with people whacking a fancy coat on their dog and argueing it's an assistance dog in training? Of course I'm not even suggesting your doing this one bit but I wouldn't put it past some people. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Assistance dog will have a " branded yellow reflective training jacket on her, with tag etc.. no way it could be faked! going to ring again tomoro & see if I get someone different!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

marley123 wrote: »
    Assistance dog will have a " branded yellow reflective training jacket on her, with tag etc.. no way it could be faked! going to ring again tomoro & see if I get someone different!

I definitely wasn't accusing you of faking at all, I really hope you didn't pick me up that I was. I'm just trying to understand why someone would say that assistance dogs aren't allowed on a beach, possibly one or two people have ruined it for everyone. I'v joked myself a few times that I could stick a jacket on my dog and pass him off as an assistance dog, maybe some people have taken it a step further, I did see an ad on donedeal once from someone looking for a hearing dogs coat.

I wouldn't be put off by it, I'm sure there is some law somewhere that they can't turn away assistance dogs whether in training or qualified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I would have thought that was illegal as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I'm somewhat confused here, why did you ring them? It seems very unusual that someone would ask permission for this especially on a beach. Do you have other dogs and did you ask about the policy on dogs in general first by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I spoke to Galway Co Council this morning as we will be taking our assistance dog in training on holidays with us. I understand the By-laws are strict but Guide dogs/assistance dogs subject to the same rules.. I think this is scandlous - so a child that has a full time assistance dog or anyone with a guide dog is literally also banned from the beach from 9am - 8pm. what a joke!
    It's a while since I read the sign i'm salthill but it used to be that the bylaws didn't apply at this time of year. And to be honest I have never seen them enforced in Galway. Although I don't walk my dogs down on the beach. They are too friendly for there on good around kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'm shocked too - I think it's highly likely that the issue has never arisen before, and the person you spoke to just made it up. You should certainly move higher up the chain of command, it doesn't sound legal.

I rang them as someone had said on a diff post here how strict the by laws are in Galway - We will have an assistance dog with us when we go on hols to Galway - hense why I rang today so see if assistance dogs/guide dogs exempt from the rule of no dogs on beaches between 9am -8pm May through September in Galway
    I'm somewhat confused here, why did you ring them? It seems very unusual that someone would ask permission for this especially on a beach. Do you have other dogs and did you ask about the policy on dogs in general first by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Well the bad news is that I can't find any legislation that fits your scenario, there doesn't seem to be any laws relating specificly to assistance dogs. The problem is that you are not actually in need of an assistance dog so they are not actually discriminating against you. Of course exposure to all sorts of situations is a vital part of the training of an assistance dog and this is what I would argue if I was approached about having the dog on the beach. Personally it wouldn't have crossed my mind to ask, I'd have just turned up assuming the dog had every right to be there!

There's something to be said for the the train of thought that if you don't ask you can't be told 'no' :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

All I can say about this topic is... well a picture speaks a thousand words.

Enjoy; http://youtu.be/lAht9XDm66Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Dogs are not allowed between 9am and 8pm during the summer months only.

There is an exemption for guide dogs and Garda dogs.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/AnimalWelfareandControl/Dogs/

This is the legislation. Word file from the Council website.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=galway%20beaches%20dog&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.galwaycity.ie%2FAllServices%2FEnvironment%2FPublications%2FFileEnglish%2C4770%2Cen.doc&ei=PJExT7_qONOChQfV_-35BA&usg=AFQjCNHDGuez8iqO8vHNEVrpZPnyroCMCA&cad=rja

Also, I might add, I have had our guy on the beach some morning past 9am but it has been quiet. I wouldn't bring him down during the day but some do. You can walk along the prom, no problems during the day. Damn people with mad dogs off leads not picking up their poo ruined it for everyone.

Thank you for that:) & to everyone for all the replys - will be taking the pup on the beach & will deal with the consequences if anyone has an issue with it!
    aw wrote: »
    Dogs are not allowed between 9am and 8pm during the summer months only.

There is an exemption for guide dogs and Garda dogs.

http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Environment/AnimalWelfareandControl/Dogs/

This is the legislation. Word file from the Council website.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=galway%20beaches%20dog&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.galwaycity.ie%2FAllServices%2FEnvironment%2FPublications%2FFileEnglish%2C4770%2Cen.doc&ei=PJExT7_qONOChQfV_-35BA&usg=AFQjCNHDGuez8iqO8vHNEVrpZPnyroCMCA&cad=rja

Also, I might add, I have had our guy on the beach some morning past 9am but it has been quiet. I wouldn't bring him down during the day but some do. You can walk along the prom, no problems during the day. Damn people with mad dogs off leads not picking up their poo ruined it for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There are lots of nice spots West of Galway that do not have bans. I avoid the beaches & walk along the rocky paths instead as they are deserted. There are loads of nice little beaches that appear as the tide goes out.

I would take this further with the Council to protect future people who may have an assistance dog. You could contact the Galway Advertiser, Connaught Tribune or Galway Bay FM.

Does your dog look like this:

13112010290.jpg

You won't miss the signs as some are huge !
    Well the bad news is that I can't find any legislation that fits your scenario, there doesn't seem to be any laws relating specificly to assistance dogs.

They are local bye laws so they can be interpreted differently from Council to Council. For example search & rescue dogs are not mentioned but I can't see a Council prosecuting especially if it's searching for a body or being trained to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just an update. I have an email from Galway City Council confirming that both guide dogs & assistance dogs are allowed on the beach. They are exempt from any bans provided that they are accompanied by a person - the email does not state that the person has to be blind or in need of assistance.

Can you please PM me as I spoke to another Galway Co.Council person last wk who also told me that guide dogs/assistance dogs banned from beach also.
    Discodog wrote: »
    Just an update. I have an email from Galway City Council confirming that both guide dogs & assistance dogs are allowed on the beach. They are exempt from any bans provided that they are accompanied by a person - the email does not state that the person has to be blind or in need of assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

just ignore it

Advertisement