Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(easy) Gluten Free Birthday Cake

Options
  • 07-02-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

It's my mom and dad's joint 60th birthday next weekend and somehow I've agreed to make a cake. My mom's ceoliac so it has to be gluten free.
    Now for the difficult part, I'm an awful baker! It really has to be an idiot proof recipe.

Any suggestions welcome please!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/clementine-cake-2559
    I make this all the time, It's sooo easy, and has no flour in it.
    the only thing I would suggest is: the recipe calls for using the entire fruit, (skin, pith and all) I did this the first time, and it came out too sour.
    I changed it to zesting the clementines. then boiling these PEELED clementines (skins discarded) for only about 15 mins, then blitz them, an throw in the zest.

It's not really a birthday cake, more of a tasty tea cake, but im sure you could ice it. (there's no fat in it either, so it's a great recipe altogether)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

emzolita wrote: »
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/clementine-cake-2559
    I make this all the time, It's sooo easy, and has no flour in it.
    the only thing I would suggest is: the recipe calls for using the entire fruit, (skin, pith and all) I did this the first time, and it came out too sour.
    I changed it to zesting the clementines. then boiling these PEELED clementines (skins discarded) for only about 15 mins, then blitz them, an throw in the zest.

It's not really a birthday cake, more of a tasty tea cake, but im sure you could ice it. (there's no fat in it either, so it's a great recipe altogether)

That sounds like a great recipe! Really easy sounding. I'd have to substitute the baking powder for a gluten free one though, but I don't think it'd make too much of a difference
    Thanks for the changes. I'll definetly make this, if not for the party, for future desserts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

does she like fruit cake, ive got a no flour fruit cake recipe that il put up her later if you want
    also have a lemon drizzle cake recipe made with spuds , that is believe it or not absolutely yummy..
    think i have brownie recipe somewhere as well if thats any use ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 FionaB3

Dove Farm and Marks and Spencer do wheat/ gluten free self raising flour, just use a standard Victoria sandwich recipe e.g. 8oz SR flour, 8oz caster sugar, 8 oz of butter 4 eggs and 2 table spoons of milk I sometimes add a spoon of creme fraiche makes it lovely and moist and gluten free flour absorbs more liquid, and vanilla extract or lemon zest.

fiona

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

I know I'm not the OP woody1 but I can't eat gluten Id love the GF lemon drizzle cake recipe...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

woody1 wrote: »
    does she like fruit cake, ive got a no flour fruit cake recipe that il put up her later if you want
    also have a lemon drizzle cake recipe made with spuds , that is believe it or not absolutely yummy..
    think i have brownie recipe somewhere as well if thats any use ..

She's not a fan of fruit cake, I'd love the lemon drizzle cake recipe if you have it!
    FionaB3 wrote: »
    Dove Farm and Marks and Spencer do wheat/ gluten free self raising flour, just use a standard Victoria sandwich recipe e.g. 8oz SR flour, 8oz caster sugar, 8 oz of butter 4 eggs and 2 table spoons of milk I sometimes add a spoon of creme fraiche makes it lovely and moist and gluten free flour absorbs more liquid, and vanilla extract or lemon zest.
    fiona

Thanks, I've had to cook with gluten free flour before and I always manage to screw it up (as you said, it absorbs more liquid). So if possible i'd like to avoid it :)

Advertisement