Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20% water change advice please.

Options
  • 07-02-2012 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have kept cold water fish for approx 6yrs now - (still have 3 of the fish from my first tank 6yrs ago :D)

I have recently bought a 90ltr tank and have started a tropical tank - using all the cycling advice and other great advice on here;) So far its all going well - I have a pair of mollies, 4 sword tails and approx 6 guppies (had 7 but one was either kidnapped or abducted by aliens as he has been missing for 2 weeks lol)

Totally noob question:
    I normally plug out the heater approx 10mins before emptying 20% of the water (so as to avoid it cracking when fresh water is poured in) and im just wondering is the temp change in the water during the water change dangerous to the fish and is there anything else I should be doing,

Thanks in advance

CB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I tend to fill the 5l bottles I use to fill my tropical tank with the mixer tap in the kitchen letting me mix hot and cold water to approximate the temperature of the water already in the tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

Sleepy wrote: »
    I tend to fill the 5l bottles I use to fill my tropical tank with the mixer tap in the kitchen letting me mix hot and cold water to approximate the temperature of the water already in the tank...

Cheers .... ;) good idea that - will try that the next time round - instead of the garden hose :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I hope you use tapsafe solution with the mixing of and use of hot and cold tap water.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I use boiled water from the kettle to equalise the temperature. I wouldn't put water from the hot tap into the tank. If its not good enough to drink then it's not good enough for the fish to live in. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I use boiled water from the kettle to equalise the temperature. I wouldn't put water from the hot tap into the tank. If its not good enough to drink then it's not good enough for the fish to live in. :pac:

My other half does that with the small tanks (boils the water) and with the large tanks,she fills up a 120 litre black bin with boiled water and then mixes it with cold water to get the correct temp.

.She still mixes in the correct amount of "tapsafe" though.Then she pumps it up and into the large tanks in 1 go

It saves the back breaking work for her.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

paddy147 wrote: »
    I hope you use tapsafe solution with the mixing of and use of hot and cold tap water.:)
    Wouldn't use it myself. Since going with Silverfish's recommendation of Prime I've noticed the derision some of the guys in Seahorse have for the interpet stuff. Maybe it's just one of them that feels that way but the reaction was so strong, I've avoided their medications etc. since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Wouldn't use it myself. Since going with Silverfish's recommendation of Prime I've noticed the derision some of the guys in Seahorse have for the interpet stuff. Maybe it's just one of them that feels that way but the reaction was so strong, I've avoided their medications etc. since.

I avoid that stuff too, it's Stress Coat for me, haven't tried Prime. But I think it's fair to say that we all have a tendency to stick to something once we become happy with results. I started out with JBL Biotopol but I was never quite happy with it.

Advertisement