Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old-school search gone?

Options
  • 07-02-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

When I now goto boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php I get redirected to http://www.boards.ie/search/ - is the old search site now gone? :'( I loved the old search site, and the new one is nowere near as good. Also, it's blue. WTF is with that? No Cloud theme support?

/edit
    Can't search my own posts either :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Dav has started a thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056541991

I'll miss it too but it's for the best.

edit: marking as resolved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Just as a side note on this, if you click your user name over on the left

<
    a drop down appears 'click find more posts by the_syco' and you've got your old posts.

You mention cloud skin, sorry, but we're looking to phase out skins at some stage they just aren't feasible at all for the following reasons.

1. vbulletin is a relic, it was built in the days where they thought it would be a great idea to store html and php (server side scripting language) yes php in the database this is just all kinds of wrong, similar to sticking car wheels on a carbon frame bicycle.

2. there are over 20 different skins, if we want to make a new feature or fix a UI bug, we literally have to do it 20+ times, as we have to edit the template that's stored in the database.

3. javascript and other scripts are also embedded in the templates, meaning we can't really take advantage of browsers caching this.

4. Having various templates makes it impractical when it comes to bug hunting. X poster says some element doesn't display, well we have to trawl through the templates in the database to even begin to see if there is something wrong.

templates are evil.

Just as an aside, we aren't being assholes by saying 'our users can't have nice things' not at all in fact, we're solely trying to keep this site functioning and replacing what we're taking out with newer/better functions whilst building for the future, we all like our jobs and these changes are necessary for us to keep them :pac:.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement