Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum Pricing For Alcohol

• 07-02-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭

Listening to Matt Cooper at the moment and some lad is on pontificating about how minimum prices will benefit the young people and the impoverished in society because basically they won't be able to buy it.

What a wanker.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That's a new one for AH

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Meh, he drew my ire.

So I did what any good young Irish person does when they've been offended; I complained about it on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I blame the dole scroungers/blacks/itinerents/single mothers/sean quinn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cson wrote: »
    Listening to Matt Cooper at the moment and some lad is on pontificating about how minimum prices will benefit the young people and the impoverished in society because basically they won't be able to buy it.

What a wanker.

If they want drink, they will find the extra charge per can/bottle.
    Simple as that.

I blame the dole scroungers/blacks/itinerents/single mothers/sean quinn

Wot! You left the swans out? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Delighted, I'm sick of having to rub shoulders with the wage bearing classes in pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

If the politicians are so concerned about the affects of alcohol ,why don't they first ban alcohol advertising altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

What a wanker.

1)A minister has decided that you're drinking too much.
    2) The other minister decided to wreck the economy so you're poor.
    3) Cos your poor if the price increases you won't be able to buy alcohol and find any release in a blissful drunken stupor from the depression caused by the economy being wrecked and you're being poor.
    4) Without alcohol you will find religion.
    5) We can re-open the embassy in the vatican and return to 1950's style poverty and religious bliss.

Irish problem solved :) We should export it to the greeks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Patronising infuriating bullshit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

maxfresh wrote: »
    If the politicians are so concerned about the affects of alcohol ,why don't they first ban alcohol advertising altogether

Has nobody thought of the poor publicans (many of whom are related to politicians)

Their problem is that young people aren't drinking in their pubs so much anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

What a wanker.

I hate that crap its political spin, speed traps, duty on drink and cigarettes, have nothing to do with safety or health its about revenue, do they really think we are that stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 majwal7

44leto wrote: »
    I hate that crap its political spin, speed traps, duty on drink and cigarettes, have nothing to do with safety or health its about revenue, do they really think we are that stupid.
    You're absolutely right - it's a ploy to increase revenue disguised as a nanny-state initiative (I don't know which is worse). :confused:

The price of alcohol has increased a lot recently, as it has with many things. Setting a minimum price will not solve any drink-related problems. Has anyone else noticed how popular home-brewing has become as a hobby recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Im not so sure the nurses or doctors in A+E who pump these kids out at weekends would call it political spin.

I know it's not the popular opinion in here, and im not saying increasing the price is the way to go.

It's really cheap to buy a slab of beer and get locked, get knocked up or get locked up. Who's minding the kids if the adults themselves are pissed is what it really boils down to. Nothing to do with the price of alcohol and everything to do with the how we parent our children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

zerks wrote: »
    Has nobody thought of the poor publicans (many of whom are related to politicians)

Their problem is that young people aren't drinking in their pubs so much anymore.

Triple vodka, Red bull and ive no fúcking ice!... €20! oh the stories for the grandkids :D

I cant help but think of Mr krabs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

44leto wrote: »

Yes, yes they do.

Advertisement