Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

journalism/makeup artist?

• 07-02-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

the job thread doesn't seem to be active so I said I'd post this in here:

I really want to be a journalist however I know that I'll never get the points for the Leaving Cert(even if I study a lot I wouldn't be capeable of even getting 400). Is there anyway I can get into journalsim without uni(all the colleges I'd be able to get to have very high point requirements). I've been thinking of doing a short course of even writing into magazines(Magazine journalism is what I'd be interested in). What do you suggest?

I'm also really passionate about make-up and fasihon and would somehow love to combine the two! I'm just curious how would I get a start in the make up artist industry? I'm in TY atm and would love to do my work exp. with a make-up artistst studio,I've emailed a few but haven't received a reply?

I want to know the following if possible about the two careers:

1.is the money good?
    2.is the job stable?

Thanks a mill smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

Hi Lollipop. There's lots of ways to get a journalism without getting 400 plus points. Check out PLC courses especially the higher national diploma ones. Usually they are two year courses with the option of a third to obtain a degree, usually in universities in the UK, which will be the same as any degree you'll get here from DCU, DIT etc.
    Money wise it all depends on what sort of journalism you're doing. When you say magazine work what do you mean? There's magazines for everything from beauty, computers cars etc.
    Work is the sector is very scarce at the moment and with the print media in trouble due to digital content you might be better forgetting about magazine work and doing online journalism.
    Money also depends on what sector of the profession you're working in. For example people working in local newspapers would earn considerably less than those working in national papers such as the Irish Times.
    I hope this is of some help and you can PM me if you need any more advice.

Advertisement