Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was I right?

• 07-02-2012 6:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I was doing security for an aviation avent in the Four Seasons last week. I was there for 12 hours straight and coming to the end of my shift I began to slouch because I was on my feet all day. The event was organized by an independant group, and they had hired some function rooms from the hotel. My job was to prevent anyone who wasn't registered to be at the event from entering the function rooms. Coming towards the end of my shift, I was slouching against the wall but not so obviously, and the manager, upon doing his rounds, told me to stand up straight as it looks more professional. I told him that he wasn't in a position to comment on how I did my job as it was a private function. I asked him would he like to give advice to the staff of KPMG, who were running a promotional booth beside me, on how to perform their job and he said no. I then told him to fcuk himself.
    Was I right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Silly paky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

paky wrote: »
    I was doing security for an aviation avent in the Four Seasons last week. I was there for 12 hours straight and coming to the end of my shift I began to slouch because I was on my feet all day. The event was organized by an independant group, and they had hired some function rooms from the hotel. My job was to prevent anyone who wasn't registered to be at the event from entering the function rooms. Coming towards the end of my shift, I was slouching against the wall but not so obviously, and the manager, upon doing his rounds, told me to stand up straight as it looks more professional. I told him that he wasn't in a position to comment on how I did my job as it was a private function. I asked him would he like to give advice to the staff of KPMG, who were running a promotional booth beside me, on how to perform their job and he said no. I then told him to fcuk himself.
    Was I right?
    I think you should tell your manager to go fcuck himself every day, just to make sure he understands your position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

If it was the independent group that hired you, then yeah you were right. If they had set it up but sub contracted you from the hotel, then the manager has every right to tell you to stand up straight and look respectable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

No your meant to act in a professional manner at all times slouching and telling someone to fcuk off could be deemed a sackable offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

100% right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Slouching against a wall whilst being associated with a 5* hotel ?

I work in hospitality and I'd have ordered you off the premises.

The guests would think your a staff member.

Jaysus, have some pride in your job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

telling him to go f%ck himself was a bit much. You may not be his employee but people in the hotel don't know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Does your employer know you told a manager to fcuk off ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As an employee of anything, how your manner is, reflects on a business and its name/reputation.
    You should have been more diplomatic to be honest.
    You might have been tired but did you politely explain that or did you just go for your manager, he doing his job too - part of which is to maintain an air of professionalism in regard to the business ye are both in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If it really was the right thing to do why would you be asking us,
    all fine until you told him to fcuk off..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

poisonated wrote: »
    If it was the independent group that hired you, then yeah you were right. If they had set it up but sub contracted you from the hotel, then the manager has every right to tell you to stand up straight and look respectable.

it was an independent group and had nothing to do with the hotel. i think he thought he had some right to speak down to me because it was a minimum wage job as opposed to the other employees there who were with large multi national companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

This would be an ecumenical matter.

it was an independent group and had nothing to do with the hotel. i think he thought he had some right to speak down to me because it was a minimum wage job as opposed to the other employees there who were with large multi national companies

Was anybody else slouching against a wall ?
    Please don't play the minimum wage victim in this case.

The manager was 100% correct in this case.

I suspect he wasn't looking at a minimum wage person, he was observing someone that didn't reflect an image that he wish his employers business to project.

Not every excuse can be just centre around "O', I was on minimum wage!"
    I also suspect you might have shot yourself in the foot if similar job opportunities might arise again in the future.

saa wrote: »
    If it really was the right thing to do why would you be asking us,
    all fine until you told him to fcuk off..

i know :D im just so proud at what i said i just cant help telling people about it. it was so funny. he was lucky i didn't crack his fcuken head open

i know :D im just so prud at what i one i just cant hlp telling people about it. it was so funny. he was lucky i didn't crack his fcuken head open

*sigh*

Charming comment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I hope you did'nt have your hands in your pockets, or picking your nose.

aujopimur wrote: »
    I hope you did'nt have your hands in your pockets, or picking your nose.

its not my style

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

you don't deserve minimum wage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

I dont think the choice of words was the best, if i am ever anywhere on behalf of my company the last thing id do is tell some one that as it looks bad on the company.

Everyone should try look professional just out of respect for themselves and give a good impression of themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

i know :D im just so proud at what i said i just cant help telling people about it. it was so funny. he was lucky i didn't crack his fcuken head open
    And do you ever wonder just why you are working as a minimum wage hired monkey security guard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I think you were wrong, you should have said yes sir and fallen on your knees apologizing for your unprofessionalism, he should have docked your pay.

44leto wrote: »
    I think you were wrong, you should have said yes sir and fallen on your knees apologizing for your unprofessionalism, he should have docked your pay.

he wasn't my employer. the group organising the event hired the security. the hotel has its own security, proper nob heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you don't want to do your job properly, there's 450,000 people waiting to replace you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

he wasn't my employer. the group organising the event hired the security. the hotel has its own security, proper nob heads

You have a terrible attitude to those employing you and paying your wages,

And don't mind me I am just trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

if you don't want to do your job properly, there's 450,000 people waiting to replace you

do you really believe this?

i work in a company that has been hit hard by the recession but has still managed to keep its doors open and employ over 100 people. And I can safely say that about half of them are a disgrace. They do not appreciate anything at all and are constantly giving out and moaning about everything. Pay reductions, lack of bonuses, lack of praise etc. It is crazy.

I think that the benefits available in this country have a lot to answer for. There are not as many people now who actually appreciate their job as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

But you were working within the confines of the hotel so they would be expecting you to act to a certain standard of professionalism to help maintain the hotels image. Slouching and giving of the attitude that you appear to have you not only let the hotel down and yourself down but going by your attitude id say you were a disgrace.

Can you imagine if I was a guest at this hotel and youre within there grounds I would automatically think you were a member of there staff, and think less of the hotel for employing you had I witnessed it. Image is everything in the hospiatallity sector. Its a shame people with your attitude even have a job when there so many who would do it better not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mkie

yes, security are nob heads, youve made that abundently clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mkie

because it was a minimum wage job s

Dont expect a pay rise anytime in the future!~

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

First off I don't think you should be getting paid slightly better than minimum wage, I'm fairly certain there's JLC agreements in place for security guards.

2nd understand the slouching, doing stewarding during the summer I found feet actually hurt more when standing still than when walking a wee bit.

3rd not the smartest move ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A security guard acting like a Neanderthal? I'm shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

An electric cattle prod the the testes next time my friend if i catch you slouching you lazy paky bastard

Sincerly,
    Your Boss

i received notice a week prior to this that i was to be let go. i couldn't resist the opportunity when it was presented

i received notice a week prior to this that i was to be let go. i couldn't resist the opportunity when it was presented

Why they'd let you go is beyond me, sure it makes no sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

then told him to fcuk himself.
    Was I right?

Seriously?
    How could anyone think your behaviour would be OK..

You were so far off the mark, you were acting unprofessionally and then insulted the hotel manager... I'd be giving you the road !!!

You behaved and spoke like a scumbag and who would want a scumbag working for them or on their premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Suddenly all the pieces fall into place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

I was doing security for an aviation avent
    a what?

If you can't spell or stand up straight and have issues dealing with figures of authority - you've major problems Paky. Sounds like you're not qualified for your area of employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

You remind me of this guy.

http://i2.listal.com/image/1899599/500full.jpg

Sounds like you're in the wrong business. You should be cracking heads open for a living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

DOWN WITH THIS SORTA THING!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

LOL. I don't think this thread went quite as you'd hoped, Paky... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

As someone who works night shifts regularly i can say that it is no excuse. If you are due to work a night shift it is up to you to prepare yourself for that, your are paid to be there and work the full shift. A drop in work standards is not acceptable no matter what shift you are on.

If i was your manager, you would be another number out looking for a job. man up and take some pride in your work.

wilkie2006 wrote: »

What did he expect? He hardly thought we would be saying: "Oh you showed him" , "you deserve a promoton" Ect ect.

Or perhaps he was expecting a picnic full of smiles and rainbows?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

2nd understand the slouching, doing stewarding during the summer I found feet actually hurt more when standing still than when walking a wee bit.

3rd not the smartest move ever

Agree completely with this. I do bar work in a hotel, and on a busy day you could easily spend 8 or 9 hours on your feet. It's very tiring. I don't blame you for propping the wall up towards the end of a 12 hour shift. But you could've handled the interaction with the manager a bit better to be honest.

What did he expect? He hardly thought we would be saying: "Oh you showed him" , "you deserve a promoton" Ect ect.

Or perhaps he was expecting a picnic full of smiles and rainbows?

Eh, actually I think he did:
    i know biggrin.gif im just so proud at what i said i just cant help telling people about it. it was so funny. he was lucky i didn't crack his fcuken head open

BTW, what's a picnic full of smiles and rainbows like? It might look nice but I'd say you'd go home hungry.

BTW, what's a picnic full of smiles and rainbows like?

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/301/40451534624998207372812.jpg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Well, nobody comes out of this one well. Seriously, though: a slouching worker? That's really an issue? I'd be inclined to avoid a company that went so far as to micromanage standing positions. Seeing a manager tell someone to stand up properly says far more that seeing someone slouching in the first place.

Eh, actually I think he did:

BTW, what's a picnic full of smiles and rainbows like? It might look nice but I'd say you'd go home hungry.

942-okay-meme.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

In my humble opinion, I think that any and all slouchers should be put against a wall and shot. But that's just because I'm old-fashioned ya see.

In my humble opinion, I think that any and all slouchers should be put against a wall and shot. But that's just because I'm old-fashioned ya see.

Would he be allowed to slouch though? Even if it was a last request?

OT, But do you wear a woolly red hat indoors or on a very warm summers day?

• Advertisement
Advertisement