Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats wrong with this image.

• 07-02-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

The original was a tad tepid looking, so I warmed it up a wee bit, I cant put my finger on it but something doesnt look quite right with it..All critique appreciated..
    iejbkp.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

tis soft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

tis soft

Plus 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

no HDR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Out of focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I wouldn't be crazy about the composition either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

+1 to the softness and out of focus.

Was it tripod-mounted? Is it an IS lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

out of focus ! and possible camera shake.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

No swans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

I liked the image because the lake was so still it mirrored the mountains so well, but the focus must be off as I didnt use a tripod.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

BengaLover wrote: »
    but the focus must be off as I didnt use a tripod.

Not using a tripod won't put your focus off. However it will lead to blurriness if your shutter speed is too slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Upside down?

Both sides look like a reflection..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Looks like an alligator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

the composition is a little too centred for me. Softness is a major problem. Go back up there and try again :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Awful thing to point the camera at in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

You have lots of nice ingredients!
    - lovely colours
    - hazy mountains in the background, giving a layered effect
    - no swans (!)
    - beautiful, still water

...but it doesnt work.

It looks out of focus/blurred, which is very distracting. Regarding composition, there is nothing to 'lead the eye' into the picture. No strong pattern, leading lines , or focal point. (You dont need all of these, 1 or 2 would be great)

Do go back though, you have found a location with potential. Bring a tripod, and use.it.all.the.time. 2 reasons for this - It increases your setup time, so you have more time to think about the end result, and also it allows you to use lowest iso/shutter speed & smallest aperture combination.

Also, when you go back, shoot from a number of different angles/locations & try & find the best composition.

Having done all that, you will need to go back a couple more times, to find the best light etc...all part of the joys of landscape photography ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 gc1971

I wouldn't be crazy about the composition either.

+1

Thanks for the constructive comments, this particular landscape drew my eye as I drove past, hence the pic, normally mountains and lakes dont do it for me, I have bought a shutter remote to help with the tripod set up to avoid any camera shake.
    In my untrained eye the focal point was the meeting point in the middle where the reflections met but i guess thats not what everyone else was looking at...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Thanks for the constructive comments, this particular landscape drew my eye as I drove past, hence the pic, normally mountains and lakes dont do it for me, I have bought a shutter remote to help with the tripod set up to avoid any camera shake.
    In my untrained eye the focal point was the meeting point in the middle where the reflections met but i guess thats not what everyone else was looking at...

yeah for this sort of shot you'd want more than one point in focus, great potential for a shot at sunset or sunrise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Were was it taken?

Mayo..thems the OX mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Date Time Original 2010:07:23 01:45:12
    Exposure Time 1/160
    F Number 5
    Exposure Program Landscape mode
    ISO Speed Ratings 125
    Metering Mode Pattern
    Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length 100
    White Balance Auto white balance
    Make SONY
    Model SLT-A33

A lot of things wrong here, not least the time on the camera.
    Main problem with the photo is it is not focused.
    Location has potential, try manual mode or AV mode at F18 or F22, with tripod. What lens is that, 100mm rarely works for landscape.

Date Time Original 2010:07:23 01:45:12
    Exposure Time 1/160
    F Number 5
    Exposure Program Landscape mode
    ISO Speed Ratings 125
    Metering Mode Pattern
    Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length 100
    White Balance Auto white balance
    Make SONY
    Model SLT-A33

A lot of things wrong here, not least the time on the camera.
    Main problem with the photo is it is not focused.
    Location has potential, try manual mode or AV mode at F18 or F22, with tripod. What lens is that, 100mm rarely works for landscape.

Is that all the technical info for my pic? How on earth did you get all that!:confused:
    The lens was a minolta macro zoom 75-300 If im not mistaken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Plenty of ways to get the info, e.g. http://camerasummary.com/exif-information.php shows:

Resolution Unit: Inches
    File Size: 44508 bytes
    File DateTime: 08-Feb-2012 12:47:45
    Flash Used: No Flash
    Image Desc: SONY DSC
    Make: SONY
    Model: SLT-A33
    yResolution: 350.00 (350/1) Inches
    File Modified Date: 2012:02:06 15:45:16
    YCbCr Positioning: 2
    Exposure Time: 0.006 s (1/160) (1/160)
    F Number: f/5.0
    Exposure: Reserved
    Iso Equiv: 125
    Exif Version: 0230
    DateTime: 2010:07:23 01:45:12
    DateTime Digitized: 2010:07:23 01:45:12
    Component Config: Does Not Exists
    Jpeg Quality: Basic
    brightness: 6.50 (650/100)
    Exposure Bias: 0.00 (0/10)
    Aperture: 4.99332219561
    Metering Mode: Multi-Segment
    Light Source: Cloudy
    Focal Length: 100.00 (1000/10)
    Exif Comment:
    Flashpix Version: 0100
    Color Space: sRGB
    Width: 640
    Height: 426
    GPS Latitude Ref: Reserved
    GPS Latitude:
    Source Type:
    Scene Type:
    Custom Rendered: Normal Process
    Exposure Mode: Auto Exposure
    White Balance: 0
    Flength 35mm: 150
    Screen Capture Type: Landscape
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Compress Scheme: JPEG compression (thumbnails only)
    xResolution: 350.00 (350/1) Inches
    Thumbnail: Yes
    Thumbnail Size: 5276 bytes
    IsColor: 1
    Process: 192
    Resolution: 640x426
    Color: Color
    Jpeg Process: Baselin

You can of course just use file properties to view info in windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Is that all the technical info for my pic? How on earth did you get all that!:confused:

934tM.png

Handy extension for Chrome. ^^

Well you learn something new every day!
    Thats very useful, now I can use that as a reference point for correcting future mistakes..thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

The lens was a minolta macro zoom 75-300 If im not mistaken.

EXIF Viewer for Google Chrome.
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lplmljfembbkocngnlkkdgabpnfokmnl

It would be great to have a general critique area in this forum- is there one or have I just not seen it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It would be great to have a general critique area in this forum- is there one or have I just not seen it?

Nope, all you need to do is as you've done - create your own thread. Normally put C&C in the title to indicate that you have your belt and braces on.

Apart from what people have mentioned previously, I'd suggest that the light wasn't your friend and led to washed out colours in your shot. It's generally lacking in vibrancy and 'punch'. May not be much that you can do about given as you say it was a stop by the side of the scene as you happened along the way, except perhaps plan a return visit for dawn or twilight and compare results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

..you took the photo on my birthday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Since the main issues with the photo have been identified, some comic relief on the general subject of C&C...

car_problems.png
    http://xkcd.com/1014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The composition needs work I think. The two mountains coming down bring your attention to the greener hill in the center... and it's not the most photogenic hill. :p

Another note is the mountain on the left peaks before the end of frame, and leads the eye out of the photo again... cropping that out helps prevent that I think;

comp_3.jpg
    (also sharpened and water line less central)

Doesn't look to me so much like it's out of focus. Rather, I'd say you have a small image, and you stretched it to make it larger, no?

It's very pixelated looking. Do you have a larger version of it you can post?

See, thats the thing im getting to grasps with - when I post an image here, I use the windows image resizer powertoy to resize it to Large, then I upload that image to tinypic, at the message board setting, maybe im not posting images at the original resolution if i do that?
    Any tips on how I should save/upload etc so as not to lose image quality and get too much pixelation?
    See my pics here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77003263#post77003263

The bottom one was taken with an aspherical macro, and the pic seems to have self cropped, I dont know why, as I didnt alter the image at all - it went straight from card to tinypic, yet the image is small and uploaded that way despite my using ther resizer.
    Wish there was a camera club near me, but unfortunately it looks like ill be pestering you guys instead..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Any tips on how I should save/upload etc so as not to lose image quality and get too much pixelation?

Oh but you are putting hardship on yourself :D

Just click on 'more sizes' on your image in pix.ie that you wish to share.

Select which size you want to share (800px on longest side tends to work on here).

Scroll to the bottom of the image and pix.ie gives you the code. Copy the forum code and paste it in your post on here.

That's it. You are putting your stuff on pix.ie already so you might as well use it to its fullest.

Thank you! im so used to using photobucket/tinypics that I didnt realise pix did same..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Lionsden

Most of the points about the pic have been covered, but there is one which I think is also the problem. There is nothing in the pic the give the viewer a sense of scale. the hill in the centre could be a couple of miles accross, or not much more than a lorryload of gravel. A tree, a person or something would help, and would also give a focal point.

Just my tuppence worth. :)

Leo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Tweaked a bit in curves in GIMP. (not on color calibrated monitor.. just a quickie)

192416.jpg

Soo.. I returned, and this is one location that I will continue to drive past in future and tick it off my list. I focused on the reflection rather than the midline, and the image is still boring and pointless..its nice in the flesh but you wouldn't want it on your wall..:D
    Here is the second take.
    27F2769B0BC141D09C0FE14B46FC9331-0000340390-0002739030-00800L-81AA0A05CA0F4930AC72161324B2477E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

In the original, the focus seems to be on the reflection in the foreground.

If you just turn the image upside down (vertical rotation), it looks alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JenMulkerrin

its completely out of focus! Other than that its not bad at all! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement