Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beggar stealing phones

Options
  • 07-02-2012 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Just a note to keep an eye on your belongings when in the city centre.
    I was having a coffee in twisted pepper cafe on abbey street. I was sitting inside not in the smoking area and had my phone on the table in front of me waiting a call.
    A man in his 40's came in with a piece of a4 paper with a writing on it and placed it in front of me and pointed to the writing. Some sob story about feeding 4 kids. I said no and waved him off. Just after he had left I noticed my phone had gone.
    I then realised what had happened, he had placed the paper over my phone and stolen it.
    I feel quite foolish for having the phone on the table now in front of me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Distraction and concealment of slight of hand are two big tactics for those fookers with no shame. It's gotten to the point where if you look anyway happy/balanced/approachable your a target.

Pick pockets should have their hands cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

People stealing unattended phones in cities. Imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

stovelid wrote: »
    People stealing unattended phones in cities. Imagine that.

Not quite unattened it was only a few inches from my hand which was holding a coffee cup resting on the same table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

A bit of a wake up call isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

did you get your phone back?

• Advertisement

Fair play to the guards though, found two outside on abbey street and they went in to check the cctv footage nearly straight away. Hope they catch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

caff wrote: »
    I then realised what had happened, he had placed the paper over my phone and stolen it.

Standard tactic for many a year.

There should be cameras so hopefully he can be tracked down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I keep my phone in my pocket unless I'm actually using it. Can't be too careful. Plus those Beggers Belief (tm) generally don't steal what they cannot see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Moved from AH

did you get your phone back?

Not too confident that I will but fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

pretty standard tactics tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fcckers should be rounded up and gassed..you cant stand still in the city centre without being hassled for cigarettes or money and you cant sit down for five minutes without having your belongings stolen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Just a note to keep an eye on your belongings when in the city centre.

Surely that's common sense at all times isn't it? It's not like this 'stealing things' lark is new or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Gardai will have no interest in the theft of a phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

caff wrote: »
    Not quite unattened it was only a few inches from my hand which was holding a coffee cup resting on the same table.

Only joking (it was in AH).

I still wouldn't leave my phone on a table anywhere in town though.

Just keep it your pocket or hold it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Sorry for your loss, OP, but dublin is not a place you can leave things down. Also, if you're in a restaurant, bar or cafe and someone unfamiliar comes over to you, just show them the palm of your hand and say 'No' whilst shaking your head. Works a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Gman1

NickDrake wrote: »
    Gardai will have no interest in the theft of a phone

Well they are raiding the "Phone unlocking shops" and finding all the stolen phones. They do care about phones being robbed, because there is such a huge number robbed everyday.

Advertisement