Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diesel/Petrol Prices

Options
  • 07-02-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is anyone interested in having a thread for diesel/petrol prices in kilkenny city? Just a log of current prices of them each week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Jones Oil (formerly Three Rivers Oil) on the comer road has one diesel pump and is always 5cent cheaper than the Topaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

1984baby wrote: »
    Jones Oil (formerly Three Rivers Oil) on the comer road has one diesel pump and is always 5cent cheaper than the Topaz.

is that the place thats closed during lunch and early in the evenings?

Yes, that's the place. I head in there in the morning. They open bout 8.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

1984baby wrote: »

How much is the diesel there? Its currently 151.9 in Topaz in the Henbron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Hennesseys in Hebron, 150.9 for diesel this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

that site is after improving since I last look at it about a year ago! no need for this thread so!

It's not fully up to date, just put it up because I thought someone that used one of those stations listed might like to input more up to date prices.

For those interested in what is affecting fuel prices, this article pretty much explains it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/pricewatch/2012/0123/1224310621734.html

How our prices are compare with Europe,

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Petrol-Prices.aspx

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Saved €50 on petrol by cycling to work a few times in January :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

1.87 p/l for diesel in Switzerland !

Robbery!

Oh hang on, we will be paying that here by Summertime.

In February of 2009 diesel was 97c p/l about the same as agri diesel now.

Makes me wish I could drive a tractor to work, damn you motorway laws!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

windy bee wrote: »
    1.87 p/l for diesel in Switzerland !

Robbery!

Oh hang on, we will be paying that here by Summertime.

In February of 2009 diesel was 97c p/l about the same as agri diesel now.

Makes me wish I could drive a tractor to work, damn you motorway laws!

That's Swiss francs which is €1.54, Switzerland is not part of the EU.

I still don't understand it though. The average price for diesel now is 146c right, in November of 2001 it was 73c, exactly half of today's price. Does that mean in 11 years time it will be double again as in 292c p/l.

I can see it going a lot higher before then, if the cost of manufacturing it stays the same something has to give to lower the price, BP makes billions of euros profit while people struggle to put petrol in their cars.

Maybe electric cars or cycling to work (if you live within cycling distance) are they only way to go!

That's Swiss francs which is €1.54, Switzerland is not part of the EU.

Ahh of course, thanks Captain I salute you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Not a good comparison as some countries pay lower or no road tax.
    Some countries have no VRT and lower vat on the initial purchase.
    In the UK for instance they have no VRT, lower vat, lower road tax and fewer tolls.
    France has no road tax.

Saved €50 on petrol by cycling to work a few times in January :)

Go on rub it in further and tell us that the bike you used came off this scheme also http://www.biketowork.ie/

I wouldn't say petrol is a rip-off, it is how as ever becoming unaffordable for people like me who are on low wages and have to travel fairly far to work. Back to my point about it not being a rip-off, take into consideration the process of turning the sludge from the ground into petrol, the cost of transporting it and then distributing it. I went onto tesco.ie there and I found this, which at €0.85 for 500ml makes it currently more expensive than petrol.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Go on rub it in further and tell us that the bike you used came off this scheme also http://www.biketowork.ie/

Wish I could but my job wouldn't do it, actually when they transferred me from Kilkenny to Carlow they wouldn't set up an account with Irish Rail so I could pay less for using the train.

hi5 wrote: »
    Not a good comparison as some countries pay lower or no road tax.
    Some countries have no VRT and lower vat on the initial purchase.
    In the UK for instance they have no VRT, lower vat, lower road tax and fewer tolls.
    France has no road tax.

Bumping up my post count here, there's no road tax in Ireland either.

BP making billions, what about the government??? For every €1.50 spent on diesel/petrol, the gov take about €1.00 in taxes and VAT.....prob more than that now with the carbon tax and VAT increase.

• Advertisement

You are in the right ball park about tax, The AA recently published figures that showed 57.12 per cent of the pump price for petrol and 50 per cent of the price for diesel is tax.

On an average litre of petrol (say priced at €1.50) the AA say the total taxes come to 85.6 cent, and with diesel at a price of €1.45 it equals 74 cent.

Wholesalers make 6 cent on a litre and forecourt retailers about 4.5 cent. So if you put €20 of diesel in your car, about 13 litres then the forecourt garage people make 60 cent off your €20 while the Government makes €10

In short the government are creaming it on road tax, don't give a monkeys about rising oil prices, motorists are in a catch 22 as they can't afford to buy newer fuel-efficient cars so their cars are older and less efficient so their spend on fuel is even greater.

It’s the poorest motorists who suffer the most from fuel price rises. They can't take public transport if they are rural motorists

The Government can claim to have little power to lower the price of a barrel on the international stage, it can certainly ease the pain through an adjustment of its tax policies. They haven't to worry about putting diesel in their car themselves and that's the problem.

I've organised for ten of us from the cycling forum to go to the Pyrénées in the south of France this summer. I've got a friend to drive our bikes down in his van and we've budgeted for €2 a litre diesel as we're just so uncertain of how much the price could potentially rise by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Yesterday it was €1.52.9 per litre for petrol at top oil in hebron..

6cent cheaper than topaz!

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Yesterday it was €1.52.9 per litre for petrol at top oil in hebron..

6cent cheaper than topaz!

but have you not seen the Topaz ad on da telly where they are telling us about how much further their fuel goes compared to the competition? It's a kind of cartoon car on the advert, so maybe that is what they are basing it on.:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

but have you not seen the Topaz ad on da telly where they are telling us about how much further their fuel goes compared to the competition? It's a kind of cartoon car on the advert, so maybe that is what they are basing it on.:confused::confused::confused:

Yes I know this but you mostly still get fuel from topaz that gets you the same distance as other brands... My last but one refill from top oil got me the furthest ever.... Go figure:rolleyes:... And my driving style stays the same..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

windy bee wrote: »
    Maybe electric cars

Because the ESB gives electricity away? :D

Because the ESB gives electricity away? :D

They're claiming it costs €0.01 per km, which if I was driving to work every day would save me €43 per week as I calculate I'm spending €0.095 per km on petrol. Huge problem with them is that you couldn't drive to Dublin and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

The problem is that there is about 50 kWh in a tank of diesel, which takes 60 seconds to fill. You just can't put that kind of energy into a battery pack within a similarly short space of time - it takes hours. When they overcome this hurdle they will have the problem solved. Maybe a battery rental scheme or whatever, and you just change em over at the petrol electricity station. Or a hydrogen fuel cell....

They are *very* cheap per km alright. Still polluting though, given our sources of electricity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BO NER

159.9 topaz tonight what will it be next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

fabbydabby wrote: »
    They are *very* cheap per km alright. Still polluting though, given our sources of electricity.

I think that's a major problem with these hybrid/electric cars. The batteries are incredibly environmentally damaging to create, and so the actual environmental cost of creating a hybrid or electric car is very high compared to building a normal one. Plus you then have the problem of disposing of them at the end of life of the car.

Also as you said the way we produce the vast majority of our electricity is also rather messy (gas/turf/coal).

1 nuclear power plant (a thorium reactor preferably) would solve a lot of our issues for that, we could power the trains and all off it then, but due to the ignorance of the vast majority in this country we will probably never have one. Funny thing is we buy a lot of power in from the UK which is created by nuclear energy.

In my view something like bio diesel is the way forward, provided it can be produced efficiently.

Advertisement